Talk

Advanced search

To think people are stupid!

(90 Posts)
freshcleanair Sun 24-Jan-16 11:22:31

Since moving into a new house this has happened so many times!

I live in a village. It's small but clearly has its own 'identity'. Own train station, high street, church and park. I will call it willton.

Next to the village is a slightly (very slightly) bigger one. This also has a train station high street and church and park. I will call it ellsborough.

I live opposite the train station in willton.

Every time I order a taxi or a pizza or have a new tradesperson coming - they go to ellsborough.

WHY??

QuiteLikely5 Sun 24-Jan-16 11:25:14

Give them your post code. End of problem

freshcleanair Sun 24-Jan-16 11:26:00

I do, but as soon as I say I live opposite willton train station people go pootling off to the other village. It mystifies me!

Katenka Sun 24-Jan-16 11:26:35

Possible a sat Mac problem

Katenka Sun 24-Jan-16 11:26:48

Nav not Mac

Trills Sun 24-Jan-16 11:27:20

So you say "I want a large pepperoni for #11, Church Street, Willton".

And they go to Church Street Ellsborough.

Is that right?

freshcleanair Sun 24-Jan-16 11:29:06

Yup. It's not s sat nav problem I'm aware of or my sat nav is fine with it anyway! Really weird.

WorraLiberty Sun 24-Jan-16 11:30:12

Why would they ignore what their sat navs tell them?

Trills Sun 24-Jan-16 11:30:49

Do the two villages SOUND the same?

Do you pronounce them strangely?

Presumably you do get your post OK.

freshcleanair Sun 24-Jan-16 11:31:06

I have no idea Worra.

WorraLiberty Sun 24-Jan-16 11:31:37

Stop mentioning the train station, and just tell them your address?

freshcleanair Sun 24-Jan-16 11:32:18

Never a problem with post trills!

They don't sound even remotely the same. I don't know if historically they were the same but it would be dating back to over thirty years ago if so as they've always been the same since I was born.

freshcleanair Sun 24-Jan-16 11:33:20

They STILL go to the other village!

TheHouseOnTheLane Sun 24-Jan-16 11:53:07

So...find something distinctive about your village...eg

"Yes, I live in Wilton...that's the Wilton with the fountain and the park..NOT elsborough...but WILTON."

TheHouseOnTheLane Sun 24-Jan-16 11:53:39

OP can you in fact share the name of the villages? Then I can Google and see why this might be happening.

freshcleanair Sun 24-Jan-16 11:54:57

Oh go on then!

Newton and earlestown.

hope mumsnet will delete this

abbsismyhero Sun 24-Jan-16 11:57:05

yes ive had this problem i lived on a new build and the house didn't register with people's twat navs i used to tell them just go to this lane (right next to the house) and i will meet you there unfortunately that road had a rude sounding name (something like cockshaft) and they thought i was taking the piss

we moved

^^helpful grin

Potatoface2 Sun 24-Jan-16 11:58:34

i live in a road with the same name as a road in the next town.....im always getting taxis for them, even had sky come to fit their services here when it was for them..my taxi went to theirs once also....i always make sure i give post code now....but i live in road and across the road is the same name with crescent.....so the same happens with them....im always getting their parcels!!

TheHouseOnTheLane Sun 24-Jan-16 12:01:30

They will if you ask them! Off to Google!

TheHouseOnTheLane Sun 24-Jan-16 12:02:11

Are you in the north west OP

BarbaraofSeville Sun 24-Jan-16 12:02:14

What happens if you put your address into a sat nav or google maps? Does Wilton and Ellsborough have the same first part of postcode?

My parents live on a long road that goes between 2 cities. There are several villages along the road and in 2 of the villages there is a '123 City Road'. My parents live at one of these houses and they are constantly experiencing problems such as yours with post, parcels, supermarket deliveries, the lot as does their opposite number in the other village - they often just deliver parcels to each other when passing because it's the easiest way to sort it out.

Coincidentally another relative lives opposite a pub. There is another road in the city in a different suburb with the same name road and same name pub, she always has similar problems, she lives at 1 Church Road, Suburb 1, City X XX29 opposite the Old Red Lion and is always getting mixed up with the other 1 Church Road, Suburb 2, City X XX30, also opposite another Old Red Lion.

It's probably a reliance on technology by non locals that accounts for a lot of it. People believe a sat nav because they don't expect them to be wrong and they don't have local knowledge to spot when they are.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 24-Jan-16 12:03:14

More or less cross posted with Potato.

OttiliaVonBCup Sun 24-Jan-16 12:03:32

What shows up when you put your home address in a sat nav? What route dies it give you?

DoreenLethal Sun 24-Jan-16 12:05:11

I live somewhere that, later on is another set of houses with a different name but they see my number and hit the brake and deliver their stuff to me all the time.

Even though we are 'the road' and they are 'the mill'. FML.

freshcleanair Sun 24-Jan-16 12:06:52

North west, yes smile It's not a technology problem I am aware of but who knows!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now