Talk

Advanced search

How on earth

(18 Posts)
Gildo Sat 23-Jan-16 22:03:38

Do you get a baby who has recently discovered they can pull themselves up, to lie down in their cot??
Ds 10mo used to lie down and within 5 mins would be sound asleep (most nights!)
But how he pulls himself and wriggles on to his side and pulls at his bars. He has not napped today because he kept doing this, so I thought he would be exhausted but he has continued to stand and
Scream in his cot for the last hour.
I go in, don't speak, and lie him
Back down but he just gets back up!
I have bottles to make and things to do, I really don't want to have to spend an hour or so every night gently holding him
Down but that's my only option isn't it??
(I realise this is not an aibu but more
Traffic here!)

Gildo Sat 23-Jan-16 22:04:08

But now he pulls himself up*

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sat 23-Jan-16 22:04:51

Velcro? Superglue?

InspectorMontalbano Sat 23-Jan-16 22:11:57

I put ds in a travel cot for a bit till he stopped doing it

Gildo Sat 23-Jan-16 22:12:41

Is it a thing they all do until the novelty wears off...? Please say yes

Celia1978 Sat 23-Jan-16 22:15:18

In my (very recent!) experience, just lay them back down over and over and over again until they get the message. DS stopped standing up after a few days.

NarcyCow Sat 23-Jan-16 22:15:52

Is he in a sleeping bag? Mine found it harder if they were, all the fabric made it very awkward.

InspectorMontalbano Sat 23-Jan-16 22:22:45

Yes it is, especially if he's a climber anyway. sleeping bag though definitely, next thing he'll be hooking his leg over!

Gildo Sat 23-Jan-16 22:57:27

Yes he sleeps in a sleeping back, I put him in that in the first place to try and stop him rolling over in his bed lol.
I'm hoping he will go back to normal soon, he hasn't napped properly in days, he wants to try out his new skill!
He had just learned how to crawl and pull himself up, shuffle along things holding on to them, he did it all in a matter of days so his wee brain is probably buzzing!
Anyway,he's fast asleep now so glass of wine for me while I wait for Dp to come home!

UndramaticPause Sat 23-Jan-16 22:58:39

I used to just leave mine to it. They got bored eventually.

I'll no doubt be labelled cruel though

CharleyDavidson Sat 23-Jan-16 23:16:30

Sorry to say that my 2 dds were fabulous sleepers.... until they learnt to stand.

Then every night was a constant round of me laying them down, then standing up and crying and me going in laying them down again. I had to do the gradual retreat method for each of them and can tell you where every little squeaky floorboard is in their rooms! The main problem for me was that they wouldn't get bored of it, but instead would scream until they were sick i they were left for too long.

It was a bit of a long slog I'm afraid, for us.

NotAWhaleOmeletteInSight Sat 23-Jan-16 23:21:48

My dd did this for months. It got better when we were able to leave the room without her crying. She'd still be awake and usually standing up, but accepted that it was bedtime and would lie down quite quickly.

It sucks in the meantime.

In terms of naps, we went through several naps of her only napping in the buggy. The fact she was strapped in seemed to help her accept the sleepiness and not fight it.

This too shall pass.

I'm due dc2 in a couple of weeks and am bracing myself...

NotAWhaleOmeletteInSight Sat 23-Jan-16 23:23:00

Several months, not several naps. Hundreds of naps...

NotAWhaleOmeletteInSight Sat 23-Jan-16 23:23:31

We used to park the buggy in her bedroom.

ifgrandmahadawilly Sat 23-Jan-16 23:23:52

I see one time I saw this thing that they use in Germany where the baby sleep bag was part of the bottom sheet. Alas, Google has yielded no results.

It is just a phase they go through though.

ifgrandmahadawilly Sat 23-Jan-16 23:27:36

Aha! This is what I mean:https://www.pinterest.com/pin/568860996659467436/

ifgrandmahadawilly Sat 23-Jan-16 23:29:12

www.pinterest.com/pin/568860996659467436/

Sorry, I've had a rare night out and have been on the sangria. My computer skills aren't great right now.

ouryve Sat 23-Jan-16 23:32:38

IME crap sleep often comes along with big developmental leaps.

Even in older kids - DS2 has ASD and hardly slept for about 3 nights when he learnt to spell words out with wooden letters, for example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now