Talk

Advanced search

to sell these golly badges?

(95 Posts)
JammyGem Sat 23-Jan-16 20:52:10

My DDad collected them when he was younger. He has a lot of them and knows I'm a bit hard up for money at the moment.

He gave me a massive box of them and said he didn't know why he'd kept them, but it had come up in conversation with a friend the other day and apparently some of them are worth a lot of money now. He gave me a box of them and said he wanted me to have them, to sell them on and get a bit of money for myself.

WIBU to sell them? I'm very grateful to my DDad but I'm aware of their racist symbolism and would feel a little uncomfortable profiting from it. I also wouldn't even know where to sell them anyway, eBay have banned them. It just makes me uncomfortable but to be honest I really do need the money at the moment.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 23-Jan-16 20:53:51

What would you do for cash if you didn't have them?

I wouldn't sell them, I'd chuck them. But I'm not on the bones of my arse so the issue is easier.

scatteroflight Sat 23-Jan-16 20:55:18

I thought you were going to say you'd set up a business selling them online or something.

If you can find a buyer who's interested I don't see anything wrong with this. Antiques places may be interested or you might find collectors online?

JammyGem Sat 23-Jan-16 20:57:26

If I didn't sell them then it would just mean I would still be struggling. I get by, I get the reduced stuff in the supermarkets and if things get bad I'll skip dinner a few days (luckily I get lunch at work), but the extra money would mean a lot...

BombadierFritz Sat 23-Jan-16 20:59:06

You can always send them to the golly sanctuary
gollyexpert.co.uk/Golly_Sanctuary.html

MizK Sat 23-Jan-16 20:59:13

Who would buy them though? They're horrible. I don't say that to insult your dad, different era and all that.

BombadierFritz Sat 23-Jan-16 21:02:11

Honestly I wouldnt even think twice. Just sell them.

JammyGem Sat 23-Jan-16 21:12:15

It seems to be split opinion.

He has about 80 of them. I know some of them are really rare, but even if I sold them for a quid each to some collector, that would be my food for a month sorted. It's so tempting...

AlpacaLypse Sat 23-Jan-16 21:14:47

As an historian I think they're fascinating, there are plenty of collectors out there who are interested in cultural history, and not raddled with guilt about the social responsibility of a different time and culture.

If we refused to look at stuff that is interesting and beautiful from our past because it couldn't possibly pass our contemporary viewpoints about what is and isn't socially acceptable, we'd have to reject most aspects of Greek and Roman culture (endemic slavery and human sacrifice, even if the Romans called it Gladiatorial Combat instead).

And keep going onwards... There are aspects of social norms as recently as ten or twenty years ago that grate now. Probably several current now that we'll be quietly dying of embarrassment about in 20 years time.

Do we refuse to even look at books or pictures made in the days before sexual and racial equality became enshrined in law on principle? Of course we don't.

Sell them OP and use the money to fund your life.

scoobyloobyloo Sat 23-Jan-16 21:22:45

Unbelievable that so many people seem to think Gollywogs are ok. Do you know anything about the history of them?! I hate this view that they are 'sentimental', they were and are racist and cause a great deal of offence to many people.

Babymamamama Sat 23-Jan-16 21:24:03

If you sell them they remain in circulation. I recently found my stash of childhood cuddly toys amongst which was a hand knitted golly. It went straight in the bin. No regrets.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 23-Jan-16 21:25:20

What about approaching a museum who might buy them from you. A black culture museum.

It would be a really affirmative thing to do. If they're worth money they may pay you well.

PuntasticUsername Sat 23-Jan-16 21:27:31

Or give a portion of the profits to an appropriate charity?

Throwingshade Sat 23-Jan-16 21:28:49

Look you are struggling to the point of 'not having dinner for a few days'. That is extremely skint. Sell them and look after yourself. I am fully aware of what the Golly symbolises and it's horrible. But you have them, you need the money. Sell them. You don't have to admit that or tell anyone on here or in RL.

cardibach Sat 23-Jan-16 21:28:54

Nobody on this thread has said they're 'sentimental' scooby, so why the questions? We all know that stuff. I'm with Alpaca - they can have a historical interest to collectors without anyone condoning the view they represent.

Aworldofmyown Sat 23-Jan-16 21:31:24

Sell them.

scoobyloobyloo Sat 23-Jan-16 21:34:48

Yeah, we all know that stuff so it's fine. Carry on. Lovely.

MistressMerryWeather Sat 23-Jan-16 21:39:38

All of the anti-Jewish propaganda displayed in museums would have had to come from a seller, it would have been a shame for it to have been destroyed because of their original intent.

Having evidence of past evils isn't a bad thing.

The OP is hardly some ignorant Golly fan trying to keep them popular.

Try selling them on to a museum as Laurie suggested.

I hope your situations improves soon.

apricotdanish Sat 23-Jan-16 21:40:18

Scoobyloobyloo, nobody said it's fine. I don't see your point, everybody seems to be fully aware of how offensive they are, no one is condoning what they represent!
OP sell them, you need to eat!

TheExMotherInLaw Sat 23-Jan-16 21:41:11

I'd try selling them, ebay, maybe - they can be quite valuable. I can't remember who or where, but I do recall a conversation with someone of African American heritage who collects them. Nobody has to buy them, but you do need to eat.

apricotdanish Sat 23-Jan-16 21:43:25

Sorry cardibach, xpost!

CrystalMcPistol Sat 23-Jan-16 21:43:31

Honestly, if I was at a stage where I was forced to skip meals due to financial hardship well yes I would sell them.

scoobyloobyloo Sat 23-Jan-16 21:47:57

Apricot, the point is that if they remain in circulation people think that they are acceptable. In the same wat that Mine Kampf was banned, Gollywogs should be too unless they are in a museum with an explanation of what they represent.

As a mother of a mixed race child and being Jewish myself it is often hard to explain to others who do not regularly experience bigotry why artefacts such as these cause so much hurt. Racism is still endemic in this country and the casual acceptance of Gollywogs is a small part of a bigger picture which breeds hatred.

They are not sentimental, they are not toys, they are not keepsakes from a bygone era.

It's a really sensitive topic for me as I imagine it is for anyone who has experienced racism so I'm going to clear off now. OP, I'm sorry to hear that you are skint, that sucks. See if you can sell them to a museum so they can be used to educate others. I hope your situation improves soon.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 23-Jan-16 21:48:20

i can't stand the bloody things.even as a child (70's) they felt wrong to me but I'd sell them.

tibbawyrots Sat 23-Jan-16 21:49:49

They sell well on eBay.

They're not racist

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now