Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be gobsmacked at this letter from the school?

(83 Posts)
sellisx Sat 23-Jan-16 19:15:12

My little sister who lives with me, came home yesterday with a note from the school to say, they are now starting to do their homework on emails. So instead of handing in a written homework piece, it'd have to be e-mailed.
That sounds bad enough but then goes on to say that "they should probably use Gmail as it has a spell checker"
:O I just can't fathom this. Surely spell checking isn't cheating? confused

PennyHasNoSurname Sat 23-Jan-16 19:16:10

Eh?

Sirzy Sat 23-Jan-16 19:17:03

How old is she?

TheoriginalLEM Sat 23-Jan-16 19:17:58

depends on her age.

ghostyslovesheep Sat 23-Jan-16 19:18:17

no idea!

QuiteLikely5 Sat 23-Jan-16 19:18:26

Strange. You mean produce in word then save and send via email? Even then gmail wouldn't be scanning the document for spelling errors........

PaulAnkaTheDog Sat 23-Jan-16 19:18:37

Was that a typo and you mean is cheating?

ghostyslovesheep Sat 23-Jan-16 19:19:34

I think you mean 'is' cheating - in which case I'd say not really - it's normal to email homework now and I always spell check things I write - why shouldn't kids?

MaidOfStars Sat 23-Jan-16 19:20:24

I assume the work had to be typed/copied directly into the email program, not sent as an attachment?

Yes. Spellchecker = cheating!

AyeAmarok Sat 23-Jan-16 19:21:09

What age is she?

Do you mean it is cheating?

sellisx Sat 23-Jan-16 19:22:05

Yeah I meant is cheating, if a child cannot spell and then uses a spell checker, the teacher isn't going to notice that the child can't actually spell
She's 8, I don't even know if I want her having an e-mail address at 8yr old

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 19:23:53

Spellchecker = cheating

Or is it an aid to ensure accuracy?

I suspect many adults use spell check at work to help them with spellings they are unsure about - or have got wrong.

So what is the "cheating" going on? I could use a calculator to do a long multiplication - or I could do it by hand.

Piratespoo Sat 23-Jan-16 19:24:15

How does she practise her handwriting then? Sounds ridiculous. Tell them she doesn't have an email address and you will continue with her writing it.

MaisyMooMoo Sat 23-Jan-16 19:24:37

I think that's pretty poor to be honest. I could understand it at 11yrs upwards perhaps, when they go to high school but not before. Plus, not every household has Internet or access to a computer.

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 19:25:49

if a child cannot spell and then uses a spell checker, the teacher isn't going to notice that the child can't actually spell

We use Word / Powerpoint to do homework on occasionally. If the word comes up red, DS won't ignore it.

However - DS's spelling by hand will be picked up in class.

Is the homework objective spelling related or just writing?

RudeElf Sat 23-Jan-16 19:26:31

So all the kids have to either have a computer at home or parents have to take them to a library every evening along with all other DC and thats if parents are even out of work before library closes.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sellisx Sat 23-Jan-16 19:28:04

Just writing in related but future homeworks will have to be sent in over e-mail, so typed on a computer

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhenTheDragonsCame Sat 23-Jan-16 19:29:25

Google won't allow you to open an email address until you are 13 so she would need to use somebody else's.

ghostyslovesheep Sat 23-Jan-16 19:29:28

8 is very young - I thought she'd be secondary

MrsA2015 Sat 23-Jan-16 19:29:30

Don't let her have an e-mail address, let her use yours to sent it in. Ridiculous of the school to do this IMO

Leslieknope45 Sat 23-Jan-16 19:30:18

I am a teacher and I am really surprised at this and I can't see how it will work. For a start, not everyone has a computer! It is also really important for children to actually hand write work.

Nanny0gg Sat 23-Jan-16 19:30:49

Spellcheck isn't cheating, it's just the same as using a dictionary to check your spellings,

No it isn't. Most 8 year-olds would click on the first word in the list.

Checking in a dictionary takes far more thought (and more than most children can be bothered with unless they have to do it).

Leslieknope45 Sat 23-Jan-16 19:31:00

In fact if I were you, I would voice your concerns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now