Talk

Advanced search

To be gobsmacked at this letter from the school?

(83 Posts)
sellisx Sat 23-Jan-16 19:15:12

My little sister who lives with me, came home yesterday with a note from the school to say, they are now starting to do their homework on emails. So instead of handing in a written homework piece, it'd have to be e-mailed.
That sounds bad enough but then goes on to say that "they should probably use Gmail as it has a spell checker"
:O I just can't fathom this. Surely spell checking isn't cheating? confused

PennyHasNoSurname Sat 23-Jan-16 19:16:10

Eh?

Sirzy Sat 23-Jan-16 19:17:03

How old is she?

TheoriginalLEM Sat 23-Jan-16 19:17:58

depends on her age.

ghostyslovesheep Sat 23-Jan-16 19:18:17

no idea!

QuiteLikely5 Sat 23-Jan-16 19:18:26

Strange. You mean produce in word then save and send via email? Even then gmail wouldn't be scanning the document for spelling errors........

PaulAnkaTheDog Sat 23-Jan-16 19:18:37

Was that a typo and you mean is cheating?

ghostyslovesheep Sat 23-Jan-16 19:19:34

I think you mean 'is' cheating - in which case I'd say not really - it's normal to email homework now and I always spell check things I write - why shouldn't kids?

MaidOfStars Sat 23-Jan-16 19:20:24

I assume the work had to be typed/copied directly into the email program, not sent as an attachment?

Yes. Spellchecker = cheating!

AyeAmarok Sat 23-Jan-16 19:21:09

What age is she?

Do you mean it is cheating?

sellisx Sat 23-Jan-16 19:22:05

Yeah I meant is cheating, if a child cannot spell and then uses a spell checker, the teacher isn't going to notice that the child can't actually spell
She's 8, I don't even know if I want her having an e-mail address at 8yr old

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 19:23:53

Spellchecker = cheating

Or is it an aid to ensure accuracy?

I suspect many adults use spell check at work to help them with spellings they are unsure about - or have got wrong.

So what is the "cheating" going on? I could use a calculator to do a long multiplication - or I could do it by hand.

Piratespoo Sat 23-Jan-16 19:24:15

How does she practise her handwriting then? Sounds ridiculous. Tell them she doesn't have an email address and you will continue with her writing it.

MaisyMooMoo Sat 23-Jan-16 19:24:37

I think that's pretty poor to be honest. I could understand it at 11yrs upwards perhaps, when they go to high school but not before. Plus, not every household has Internet or access to a computer.

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 19:25:49

if a child cannot spell and then uses a spell checker, the teacher isn't going to notice that the child can't actually spell

We use Word / Powerpoint to do homework on occasionally. If the word comes up red, DS won't ignore it.

However - DS's spelling by hand will be picked up in class.

Is the homework objective spelling related or just writing?

RudeElf Sat 23-Jan-16 19:26:31

So all the kids have to either have a computer at home or parents have to take them to a library every evening along with all other DC and thats if parents are even out of work before library closes.

NeedAScarfForMyGiraffe Sat 23-Jan-16 19:27:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sellisx Sat 23-Jan-16 19:28:04

Just writing in related but future homeworks will have to be sent in over e-mail, so typed on a computer

NeedAScarfForMyGiraffe Sat 23-Jan-16 19:28:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhenTheDragonsCame Sat 23-Jan-16 19:29:25

Google won't allow you to open an email address until you are 13 so she would need to use somebody else's.

ghostyslovesheep Sat 23-Jan-16 19:29:28

8 is very young - I thought she'd be secondary

MrsA2015 Sat 23-Jan-16 19:29:30

Don't let her have an e-mail address, let her use yours to sent it in. Ridiculous of the school to do this IMO

Leslieknope45 Sat 23-Jan-16 19:30:18

I am a teacher and I am really surprised at this and I can't see how it will work. For a start, not everyone has a computer! It is also really important for children to actually hand write work.

Nanny0gg Sat 23-Jan-16 19:30:49

Spellcheck isn't cheating, it's just the same as using a dictionary to check your spellings,

No it isn't. Most 8 year-olds would click on the first word in the list.

Checking in a dictionary takes far more thought (and more than most children can be bothered with unless they have to do it).

Leslieknope45 Sat 23-Jan-16 19:31:00

In fact if I were you, I would voice your concerns.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: