To think this is disproportionate re police

(12 Posts)
lifeinslowmotion Sat 23-Jan-16 18:06:46

I posted in chat earlier about a minor disagreement with our neighbours over damage to our car. Their teenage son hurled abuse at me and she threatened to call the police if I didn't leave her property. I promptly did so as soon as she said it.

Well she still reported me to the police who have since left a card through our door (nobody home) and been to DP's place of work to speak to him about it.

Am I wrong in thinking this was completely disproportionate? It has been a matter of hours since the incident so not like I have been ignoring the card through the door. I haven't even been home yet.

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 23-Jan-16 18:09:51

Yes, it's disproportionate, but it was probably exacerbated by you accusing them of damaging your car with no evidence, exactly as they did to you.

As other posters said on that thread, you're both as bad as each other. I don't think you need two threads about this.

19lottie82 Sat 23-Jan-16 18:10:39

Not really. If someone files a complaint they need to follow it up. You don't know what she's told them, she may have made a serious accusation. They will want to hear your side of events.

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 23-Jan-16 18:10:42

I'd also add, you have no idea what they said to police. If they said you threatened them, for example, the police would want to respond rapidly.

lifeinslowmotion Sat 23-Jan-16 18:10:55

I'm talking about the police going to my DP's place of work when he wasn't even involved.

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 23-Jan-16 18:11:04

x-post with Lottie!

lifeinslowmotion Sat 23-Jan-16 18:15:30

No I didn't make threats of any kind and didn't even speak to her son.

Turbinaria Sat 23-Jan-16 18:15:36

I'd want the police to follow this up but visiting someone's place of work even before getting both sides seems OTT - depends what your neighbour told them.

Proof is what you need, otherwise the police can't take a view either way - maybe your neighbour will trip up with what she tells them as some point, make sure you don't and stick to the facts with them.

Birdsgottafly Sat 23-Jan-16 19:22:57

I don't think it is disproportionate.

You could be completely different people and be putting each other's windows in/fighting, by midnight.

It's the weekend, people have a drink and that makes them brave, they go looking for trouble.

They want to make sure that the situation is calmed downed, by an early intervention.

Katenka Sat 23-Jan-16 19:51:57

Surely it depends on what she said. Maybe she said he was there.

Maybe she said you had lost it completely and they were concerned for your welfare.

Or that you threatened to do something to someone so they were trying to track you down.

Until you know exactly what she said you can't say wether the police acting disproportionately or not

CustardOmlet Sat 23-Jan-16 20:14:31

This would make more sense if you had either posted on your previous thread or provided a link. Thus YABU expecting us to make a decision on so little information, and as others said you don't know what your neighbour actually reported to the police.

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 23-Jan-16 20:52:04

I know that, OP, but the POLICE DON'T.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now