Talk

Advanced search

to think that if you send a letter from a school that might go public - you check for comma splices

(160 Posts)
katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 13:29:43

School said it would give pupils bread and butter if they didn't have money.
Parents complain. Goes national in the news.
School retracts.

The letter is here:

www.albanacademy.org/assets/schoolmealsletterretraction-1.pdf

Part of it:

Following a number of parental concerns regarding the recent school
meals letter we have decided to rethink our policy and will not be
introducing the new system outlined in that letter.
I apologise if this has caused any offence, this was not our intention.
The letter itself was intended to explain the situation and trial a policy
that has been successfully adopted by other schools

Actually - commas seem lacking in the first sentence as well.

This is not a chatty letter. This is an official retraction.

Could do better grin

tobysmum77 Sat 23-Jan-16 13:32:47

If you added commas it would still be badly written with unnecessarily complex sentences.

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 13:33:49

It's the comma splice that gets me.

I apologise if this has caused any offence, this was not our intention

Euphemia Sat 23-Jan-16 13:34:37

I'm a primary teacher and I saw the previous thread. I can't find it in me to care. Perhaps standards are higher in England but I've taught in many Scottish schools and I'd never heard of comma splices. There are many more important aspects of writing for children to master, IMO.

tobysmum77 Sat 23-Jan-16 13:46:56

I think the comma splice is the best written sentence. It is the only one I didn't have to read twice. The use of the word 'itself' is the low point for me.

SmokingGun Sat 23-Jan-16 13:49:54

This is my old middle school 😳

ghostyslovesheep Sat 23-Jan-16 14:12:25

again?

ComposHatComesBack Sat 23-Jan-16 14:25:45

Are you the same arseache who was complaining about comma splices a few weeks ago?

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 14:33:55

No. I think that if you send out newsletters, you should make sure they are punctuated correctly. Especially if your school is at the centre of a media storm.

FithColumnist Sat 23-Jan-16 14:39:57

Ye gods OP. YABU and desperately in need of a grip.

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 14:41:16

Why? Don't you think that a newsletter sent out to parents needs to be correctly punctuated?

Tell me why you don't think it needs to be correctly punctuated?

StrawberryDelight Sat 23-Jan-16 14:43:11

Are you the same arseache who was complaining about comma splices a few weeks ago?

Love this whole sentence grin

I would notice it myself, I couldn't help not noticing (see what I did there?!)

I wouldn't mention it to anyone though. It's not so bad as to be worth mentioning.

JohnLuther Sat 23-Jan-16 14:43:58

YABU I can read it perfectly fine.

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 14:45:03

It just jumped out at me - was on the BBC site. The sentence was there - and it did make me think of that thread.

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 14:45:50

YABU I can read it perfectly fine

That's not the point. I can read it perfectly fine as well.

JohnLuther Sat 23-Jan-16 14:47:46

Well what's the problem then? Adding a comma to the last sentence would unnecessarily break it up.

FithColumnist Sat 23-Jan-16 14:48:05

Because a comma splice is not an error in punctuation, rather a "fault of style". Leaving out a full stop at the end of a sentence is incorrect punctuation, a comma splice really isn't. The dispreference for them in prescriptivist style guides ranks up there with never ending a sentence with a preposition, or never beginning a sentence with a conjunction. I.e. it's bollocks and you are being deeply peculiar to give so many fucks over the matter.

FithColumnist Sat 23-Jan-16 14:50:21

Also, for what it's worth, this is incorrect punctuation:

Tell me why you don't think it needs to be correctly punctuated?

That's a statement, not a question. It needs a full stop, not a question mark.

Sallyingforth Sat 23-Jan-16 14:50:33

Goes national in the news.

You're not setting much of an example are you OP?

KathyBeale Sat 23-Jan-16 14:50:50

I'm a writer and I don't know what a comma splice is. I agree the letter is written in a clumsy way but it's not bad enough to get annoyed about.

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 14:52:06

Are you the same arseache who was complaining about comma splices a few weeks ago

it's bollocks and you are being deeply peculiar to give so many fucks over the matter

Don't you just love MN? Some people find it impossible to debate without being rude.

As far as I am aware - and have been taught - a comma splice is not a "fault of style" but incorrect in formal writing.

If you were to use comma splices in professional reports, I suspect your employers would not be too impressed.

GruntledOne Sat 23-Jan-16 14:52:07

I'm probably more pedantic than most, but comma splices really don't bother me - in fact I think if anything they can improve the flow of a sentence, especially if you're aiming to write in a friendly or colloquial style.

eddiemairswife Sat 23-Jan-16 14:52:41

In all my years of education from Kindergarten to University and PGCE, through having 4 children and 5 grandchildren in the education system and teaching KS2 until retirement I had never heard of a comma splice until the previous thread.

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 14:53:25

Ooh - now we've got the "criticise the OP's writing".

Predictable. But this is internet chat and not professional writing.

So naaaaah grin

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sat 23-Jan-16 14:54:46

I agree with you OP.

I said the same on the thread about the letter issued by another school on the subject of dirty and unwashed pupils. It was a snotty and unsympathetic letter written by a headteacher in a very clunky style with poor sentence construction. (the website of that particular school also had appalling spelling and grammatical errors)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now