Talk

Advanced search

To be furious with the pool staff and have raised a formal complaint

(51 Posts)
dingalong Sat 23-Jan-16 00:37:41

My DS just turned 4 and started lessons in November. He's doing level 1 (basically getting comfortable in the water), moving in the pool, head under water, etc)
I was watching him from the viewing gallery today. They've started the assessment. DS is comfident in the pool, happy to jump into shallow water, moves across the pool (he's walking rather swimming) and while he's happy he's far from swimming yet. He's about 1 metre tall

Today during the class, his instructor told him to go over to the deep pool, and she told the instructor to get him to jump in.
He jumped in as intructed and came to the surface. He went under about 5 times - the instructor waved a board at him ineffectually before he jumped in and rescued him

I ran down and he was crying hard and had swallowed water and so he vomited by the side of the pool.

I was so angry with them. The instructor should have had his pole before he let him jump in. I asked his level 1 instructor why did she do it. She said he was so good that she was going to skip a level which is complete bullshit as he can't swim out of his depth yet.

Aibu to have made a formal complaint with the manager. She's interviewing the staff involved. Anyone with eyes could have seen he wasn't ready for level 3. This is rubbish as dd was able to do back stroke in level 1 was not skipped. I watched the whole thing so saw he was following instructions
Im so upset just thinking about it, my poor son thinking he was drowning. I was given instructions to watch him for dry drowning this evening

I talked to the manager who had seen (him moving pools) and vomiting.

WhimsicalWinnifred Sat 23-Jan-16 00:41:27

I'm really not sure. I would have complained to from what you've said.

Why would she ask him to jump if she didn't think he was good enough tho?

Did she expect the other instructor to react better?

dingalong Sat 23-Jan-16 00:57:52

I have no idea but he can't swim. If she can't see that she shouldn't be an instructor. I told the manager they should have communicated better

Birdsgottafly Sat 23-Jan-16 01:07:03

It needs to be a formal complaint.

The instructor made an incorrect and dangerous decision and didn't follow safety procedures.

"Watch for dry drowning", are you supposed to be able to stay awake for the next 24 hours?

It would be rare, but they don't seem to take Water safety, seriously.

Birdsgottafly Sat 23-Jan-16 01:07:59

Or care if they put the children's safety and water confidence, at risk.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 23-Jan-16 01:09:48

That's shocking behaviour, I'd have complained too, formally. Absolutely dreadful thing to do with so little preparation.
I hope that your DS is ok though - and at least they warned you about the dry drowning, so that shows some sense and awareness, even if it was a bit late and could have been avoided!

ColdTeaAgain Sat 23-Jan-16 01:11:23

She told a child who couldn't swim yet to jump into a deep pool? She sounds like a bloody idiot.

I think I would of said something too, I hope he isn't put off swimming because of this scare. Maybe see if there is anywhere else you could go for leasons.

ColdTeaAgain Sat 23-Jan-16 01:12:08

lessons*

rosewithoutthorns Sat 23-Jan-16 01:15:41

Good god! How awful! Poor DS. I'd certainly have them over the coals for this, stupid people. Lets just hope that this hasn't set him back and made him fear the water now.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 23-Jan-16 01:24:44

Shocking, negligent and stupid. I used to be a swimming teacher and specialized in teaching young children. This should be taken further. Once bad experience in the water early on can really affect confidence and learning.

Italiangreyhound Sat 23-Jan-16 01:26:28

Your poor son.

I am so sorry.

Yes, complain, totally unacceptable.

KoalaDownUnder Sat 23-Jan-16 01:27:38

What the hell kind of swimming instructors do that?!

Poor little boy. I'd be furious too.

bellaabonda Sat 23-Jan-16 01:34:58

I think it would take every ounce of my being not to grab her and dunk her head under the water and see how she liked it.

Make sure you follow up your complaint. And if you aren't satisfied- I'd be letting other parents and people in the area know what had happened as well. And I'd make the management well aware of my intention to do so.

bit pissed off right now if you can't tell

Equiem89 Sat 23-Jan-16 01:36:21

I used to help with kiddies swimming lessons. I helped in the 'baby pool' and was in the water helping to support the children, encourage them to put their face under etc while the instructor was on the side. No way would any child that young be instructed to jump into the deep end. They weren't even allowed in the shallow end of the pool, only the much shallower baby pool. I think what happened to your DS is disgusting! I hope this doesn't put off him swimming.

dingalong Sat 23-Jan-16 02:14:53

Thanks everyone, I was typing so furiously my spelling and grammar went completely to pot

They're interviewing the staff members and I should hear by Tuesday. My husband is bringing ds away on a business meeting (town where my parents live) and he's very excited to go to a swimming pool with water slides so im hoping he enjoys it.

He cried to me when I got him to 'mammy I'm a big boy but I'm not enormous' because he couldn't touch the bottom. He's such a sweet boy and imagine - I told him ' do what your instructor tells you' I'm so cross and upset.

GreenGlassLove Sat 23-Jan-16 02:31:32

Not at all. I agree with pushing children a little bit, jumping in the big pool with an instructor in already would have been one thing, but that is just insanity. I hope you and your DS are ok and that your DS wasn't too discouraged by this unfortunate incident.

mathanxiety Sat 23-Jan-16 03:32:31

The instructor should be suspended pending retraining and re-certification in safety (assuming there was any to begin with, which by the sounds of it is a stretch).

Spudlet Sat 23-Jan-16 06:53:15

YANBU - I would be furious. Poor boy!

If you can, I'd take him swimming yourself, today. Just go in the baby pool and splash about a bit - get his confidence back before the shock of what happens has time to sink in. Like getting back on the horse.

WhatamessIgotinto Sat 23-Jan-16 06:57:51

Er, no, YANBU at all! What was she thinking? Complain.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Sat 23-Jan-16 07:22:27

He can't swim! What on earth was the instructor thinking?!? Your poor little lad!
Yadnbu! Please do complain formally as this is awful and dangerous!

Smize Sat 23-Jan-16 07:30:46

My DD is in level 2 and still far from being able to swim confidently by herself. They practise jumping in at the end of each lesson, in the shallow end, with the instructor standing in the pool to catch/assist them. Yanbu and the 'instructor' involved shouldn't be allowed near children's swimming lessons again.

GingerIvy Sat 23-Jan-16 07:33:38

Is he able to take lessons elsewhere? I wouldn't feel comfortable having them continue his lessons.

CrohnicallyAspie Sat 23-Jan-16 07:54:18

equiem children that young can be instructed to jump in the deep end! My DD is 3 and does it at her swimming lessons, I think she needed to in order to get one of her badges (she's doing ducklings and has 1 and 2 already).

HOWEVER, she has been going to lessons since she was 2, the instructor knows exactly how capable she is. DD wore small armbands and the instructor knows she can more or less float with these. And the instructor was in the water with her, DD knows to wait on the side until the instructor is in and asks her to jump.

The issue isn't with the age of the child being asked to jump in, but the instructor should know the abilities of the child and also should be in the water- I think guidelines are that the instructor should be in the water with the child at all times, at least until the child is school age.

OP, YADNBU and I would also be removing my child from the lessons and looking elsewhere.

KathyBeale Sat 23-Jan-16 08:00:03

This is terrible. I'm quite shocked the instructor wasn't in the pool with him actually. Being on the side is no good with little ones. Definitely complain. I'd probably change swimming lessons to a different venue or teacher so you can tell him you know it was wrong but swimming is really fun and let's carry on learning...

PunkrockerGirl Sat 23-Jan-16 08:08:31

YADNBU. Your poor little boy. Hope he's ok and that it doesn't put him off being in the water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now