Talk

Advanced search

to hate the phrase 'ive worked for every single penny'

(106 Posts)
pinksaltlamp Fri 22-Jan-16 17:33:47

Usually said buy someone well off to justify having such wealth. I've worked in jobs where I take home 800 a month and 6k a month. The lowest paid one (pot washer) was by far the hardest and the most well paid job was much easier in comparison (although had plenty of testing times!).

CaptainCrunch Fri 22-Jan-16 17:35:38

Yabu, and no one has to "justify" their wealth.

Andrewofgg Fri 22-Jan-16 17:35:40

Yes, but whatever your job, you've earned what you earn. I can't see what it is about the phrase which annoys you.

Parkandfly Fri 22-Jan-16 17:37:53

I think what op means is the implication that when washing pots she WASN'T working for every penny. It's a bit like 'we've worked hard for our money' and so do most people. Truth is, working for low pay isn't just rubbish in terms of money - it can be a blow to your self esteem. You're often in the front line for other people's annoyances and irritation and you don't even get money to soften the blow.

Babyroobs Fri 22-Jan-16 17:37:58

I can see how pot washing might be physically hard but certainly not stressful or mentally taxing. Higher paid jobs are often better paid because you generally need to have done a lot of studying to get them or they have a good deal of responsibility and you have to take responsibility when the shit hits the fan.

Fratelli Fri 22-Jan-16 17:38:15

Stealth boast about earning 6k a month?
Yabu anyway, it's just a phrase.

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 22-Jan-16 17:38:51

Don't really get your point. To me the phrase is used to explain they have earned the money rather than say inheriting it.

abbieanders Fri 22-Jan-16 17:39:26

I think I get you, OP. It's often used when people are trying to shrug of social responsibility such as paying the tax they should.

CaptainCrunch Fri 22-Jan-16 17:39:59

I clocked the £6k stealth boast too Fratelli grin

OurBlanche Fri 22-Jan-16 17:41:36

Well, seeing as nobody else worked for any money DH and I have earned, YABVU.

But, as others have said, I suspect you don't think the phrase means what I think it does!

But YAalsoBVU for the stealth boast you snuck in.

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 22-Jan-16 17:43:34

"Usually said buy someone well off to justify having such wealth."
Or to distinguish themselves from those who inherited their wealth and have never lifted a finger?

witsender Fri 22-Jan-16 17:45:19

I get it. When people begrudge low earner's benefits, or justify the wealth inequality in most societies with "yeah, but I have worked hard for my money" thereby implying that those with less only have themselves to blame for not working as hard. Which simply isn't the case for most.

pinksaltlamp Fri 22-Jan-16 17:48:01

Thanks park that is it! About low pay and you still work for every single penny, often harder.

It wasn't a stealth boast, that was a horrible job that I chose to leave.

pinksaltlamp Fri 22-Jan-16 17:49:13

thereby implying that those with less only have themselves to blame for not working as hard. Which simply isn't the case for most.

Thanks, you've nailed it better than I could in my op

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 22-Jan-16 17:50:20

I know what you are saying but YABU. It's just a phrase and just because someone thinks they've worked hard, doesn't mean they don't think you have.

OurBlanche Fri 22-Jan-16 17:51:53

Well, having given up a 6k a month job because you didn't like it, I'd say that you might have to carry some of the 'blame'.

Weird way of looking at it though! Whoever said it!

VertigoNun Fri 22-Jan-16 17:53:01

It's a put down and used by someone I wouldn't mix with.

witsender Fri 22-Jan-16 17:54:53

I am surprised so many on here either haven't heard it, or can't see what is implied by it. I find that a little either naive, or disingenuous tbh.

OurBlanche Fri 22-Jan-16 17:58:14

Meh!

I can see how it could be aimed at people claiming benefits or tax credits, etc. But, not being naive or disingenuous, who cares? Really? Who cares?

Some people live on benefits, some claim benefits to live. If you are the former, get a job (you know what I mean), if the latter, you are entitled to it, ignore the fools who try to shame you.

tormentil Fri 22-Jan-16 18:04:47

It's a horrible phrase used by people who are assuming moral superiority over another person/other people. I wouldn't keep company with anyone who uses that phrase. It tells me how mean spirited they are.

FifteenFortyNine Fri 22-Jan-16 18:05:26

I only have a problem with the phrase if it's said by a person who I know has had considerable good luck or a lot of help from others. Then it just seems ungrateful. Then they should be saying "I and [insert helpers name] have worked for most of the pennies" Not as catchy.

witsender Fri 22-Jan-16 18:06:02

I agree, but I can fully appreciate how hurtful that sentiment may be. Tbh I hear it a lot on MN in various guises and always just mark that poster up as either spectacularly thoughtless or not bright enough to understand the nuances or society and others' lives.

cleaty Fri 22-Jan-16 18:06:04

I know many people who have inherited, or had gifts for things like house deposits. They have not worked for every penny they have.

I do a responsible job.The worst job I did was a low paid job in a factory, much harder and more stressful than jobs with a lot of responsibility.

witsender Fri 22-Jan-16 18:06:33

Cross posted a bit there.

Sparklingbrook Fri 22-Jan-16 18:06:35

Nothing stealthy about that boast. grin

The phrase in the OP reminds me of Harry Enfield's 'Considerably richer than you' character.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now