Neighbour's noisy kids waking baby

(10 Posts)
Zinni Fri 22-Jan-16 14:44:06

Our hall is shared with another apartment.

When they leave or enter, their kids make so much noise! Shouting, shrieking and stomping around the communal hall right outside our front door. The sound carries and keeps waking baby when he naps even with all our inner doors shut.

It's worse when they have visitors, as they greet them in hall rather than inside their own apartment (they have a coat-stand and shoe rack in communal hall confused)
Sometimes visitors say loud prolonged goodbyes in hall at 1am with lots of loud laughter and kids shrieking!! Then they honk car horns when they reach the electric gates (gated complex!) angry

AIBU to expect people to keep noise down in communal hall and on stairs, in carpark etc particularly at night?

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Fri 22-Jan-16 14:46:50

At night, no, you're not being unreasonable and I would have a word with them, ask them to keep the noise down after 11pm or so.

In the daytime - you know soon it'll be your child being noisy in the hallway, don't you?

MrsJayy Fri 22-Jan-16 14:49:55

Sounds a nightmare could you ask them to keep the noise down at night during the day not much you can do about it I am afraid, down fall of living in a communal building I lived in a block for years my neighbour had bloody plant pots dotted about everywhere.

breezeharbour Fri 22-Jan-16 14:50:09

I know it must be very frustrating but the more your baby gets used to napping with noise the easier you will find things as they get older!

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Fri 22-Jan-16 14:51:28

You are not BU, but many people who live in flats (and houses) are not considerate to their neighbours.

Have you tried going out and asking them to keep it down when they are loudly leaving at 1am, or are you worried you'll be unable to be poliite in the face of noise at that time (I would be!)
Could you hang a thick curtain across your front door to muffle the noise, and draught excluders round the door?

Or if you catch them in the communal hall during the day explain how much impact the noise if having on you and your newborn as you are very short of sleep.

NewLife4Me Fri 22-Jan-16 14:54:28

I think at night time YANBU, especially the car, which is illegal after 11pm anyway.
The noise in the hall, I'm on the fence. As much as you'd like guests to be quiet it's not your responsibility if they choose not to be.
As for the children being noisy, YABVU, although I know it must be frustrating. As a pp has said it will be your child making the noise soon.
If you can hear them, they can hear your baby.

Alicewasinwonderland Fri 22-Jan-16 14:56:46

Good luck, sadly there is not a lot you can do.

Some people seem to think it is acceptable to make any kind of noise before 11pm, they don't have the most basic manners to keep quiet in a communal hall (because it is.. well, communal!).

When I last lived in a flat, we had a neighbour just like that. Thankfully, everybody else was friendly and had common sense, so we managed to get them kicked out by complaining repeatedly to their landlord, the management company BUT all the other residents were in agreement. In the meantime, we all used to wake them up at dawn every morning after they had a loud party to prove a point, they were getting really fed up about it. With a baby, you can't do that.

Are you other neighbours suffering as well? Are they allowed to use the communal hall to put coat rack and shoe stand? Most leases would forbid that.

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 22-Jan-16 15:10:00

"they have a coat-stand and shoe rack in communal hall"
That's probably not permitted, they're claiming shared space as personal. Plus I think the fire brigade would consider it a fire hazard? All that fabric in a stairwell.

I might take that approach. Maybe ask the fire brigade to do a safety assessment. If the stands are in the communal hall, that 'holds' them there as they take coats/shoes off/on. If the stands were inside, they'd go inside quicker and then the noise would be behind their front door.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Fri 22-Jan-16 15:10:42

I'm guessing it's echoes that make it sound louder than it is. But that's kids for you!

bellaSorela Fri 22-Jan-16 20:44:17

YANBU
however from personal experience i have given up on trying to speak with neighbors, most people are childish and selfish and you speaking to them will just invoked the childish retaliation most have to make more noise rather than be a decent human being.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now