We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Indesit Fridge Freezer in garage

(12 Posts)
IpreferToblerone Fri 22-Jan-16 11:00:18

So am I being unreasonable to be unhappy to find out the freezer section of my FF will STOP WORKING! when the temperature falls below 10 degrees (it is in my garage as a back up FF) and that I should keep in the house! Engineer came out today to 'fix it' but I was told it should not be in the garage! A warning to you all. One of my worries is that these fridge freezers are therefore defrosting and freezing without us even knowing!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 22-Jan-16 11:04:51

can't you put a heater out there?

I thought it was pretty common knowledge about freezers in outhouses, I've a big chest freezer in the wash house but we checked it'd be okay out there before we bought it

We do have a small space heater behind the washing machine though....few years back we had a terrible cold snap that it froze the machine up and it took a week to defrost!!

CoraPirbright Fri 22-Jan-16 11:05:00

Yanbu - they never really tell you that little detail unless you ask specifically which I think is a bit underhanded!! Unless you go to John Lewis who, when I was looking into getting one (like you, a back up in the garage), asked me where I would be putting it then and made this point clear. Their own-brand chest freezer is one of the few built with this in mind.

IpreferToblerone Fri 22-Jan-16 11:20:45

Okay thanks Cora, my previous one had worked fine out there for years (or so I thought, maybe not in hindsight!). Della thanks but no, I don't need to heat my garage, I will just have to avoid using it around Christmas time then (if we ever get cold Christmases again!) I bought it with the idea of stashing extra food as the need arises. Will have to rethink. Shame though about all the food that I had to ditch this week ...

BarbaraofSeville Fri 22-Jan-16 11:38:04

I knew that some fridge freezers don't work properly at low temperatures, but it seems counterintuitive and probably something that a lot of people are not aware of.

Certainly nowhere near as obvious as lots of other things that many people go through life totally unaware of.

ComposHatComesBack Fri 22-Jan-16 12:00:48

Apparently Beko fridge-freezers are fine for use in the garage.

Just as well as I doubt the temperature in the flat today is above 10oC.

SirChenjin Fri 22-Jan-16 12:03:03

We've had an old (as in around 15 years) Indesit one out in our garage for the last 12 years - it's never defrosted in that time confused

BlackeyedShepherdsbringsheep Fri 22-Jan-16 12:06:34

indesit and hotpoint fridge freezers are crap anyway. (at least the newish design) mine has a fridge temperature of 15 degrees on some days and below freezing on others whatever I set the dials to.

the old hotpoint fine. new one bloody useless. never a-bloody-gain

jevoudrais Fri 22-Jan-16 12:09:04

This is standard. Beko freezers are built for outhouses and tested at - something or other. Normal fridge freezers are not meant to be kept in rooms below 16 Celsius eg. Outhouses. Manufacturer's instructions do usually state this.

YABU.

ComposHatComesBack Fri 22-Jan-16 12:21:27

Hotpoints used to be quite good until they were bought out by Indesit a few years ago and their UK factories closed. Modern Hotpoints are re-badged Indesits.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Fri 22-Jan-16 12:41:15

There are a few brands out there that have a freezer that work in cold temperature you just have a trawl through the recommended temperatures. Bit of a pain but worth it if you're buying a new one.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 22-Jan-16 12:42:29

Our fridge-freezer is a Hotpoint that is probably 18 years old - it says 'Made in Britain' on the front of it.

It has never needed defrosting and has worked solidly apart from a wobble one high summer when I thought it was going to die. However, DP vacuumed all the vents only time it has ever been done and it was right as rain within 24 hours.

I quite fancy a new one as it has a few dents and is probably not very energy efficient, but now I need to know exactly how long it will keep going if we let it. Will it make it to 20/21/25?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now