Talk

Advanced search

to ask Londoners what is going on with the strikes?

(11 Posts)
LittleLionMansMummy Fri 22-Jan-16 09:21:53

I've tried London Underground customer services but they're not clearer so wanted to know your previous experience.

I'm planning a large event next Wednesday and know that two of the three unions have now suspended action. Will tube trains continue to run on LU even if RMT decide to still go ahead with it? I'm desperately trying to stop delegates cancelling their attendance. Cancelling the event is not an option.

Apparently the drivers' union has suspended action.

Anyone with previous experience of what is likely to happen please?

Tywinlannister Fri 22-Jan-16 09:40:21

I never struggle because I live in an area where we have trains going straight in to Kings Cross, Liv St, Moorgate and Stratford. So from there I can usually walk. Some tubes do run but I've never got on one and it's usually a skeleton service ie one every ten mins and everyone's getting on it. You usually find enormous queues at taxi ranks and at bus stops so it's goo to leave as early as you can in the AM and get out early in the PM. Strikes can even get called off the day before.

Where is your event? If near Euston/Kings Cross and you have a lot of delegates coming from the north, you'll have no problem.

Artandco Fri 22-Jan-16 09:41:49

It's suspended, that means it won't go ahead on those dates as previously planned. So nothing affected

Tywinlannister Fri 22-Jan-16 09:44:11

Have the RMT pulled out too?

Tywinlannister Fri 22-Jan-16 10:18:12

Just read that they haven't. Until they do, I wouldn't say it's called off just yet. There will be a better service with the other two but not a full one.

Is the event all day OP? What's your start time?

LittleLionMansMummy Fri 22-Jan-16 10:19:32

I think that's my question. RMT don't make a decision until Monday, but the other two have suspended action - so if drivers aren't striking then I'm assuming tubes will run but with delays?

Nearest station to the event is Pimlico.

LittleLionMansMummy Fri 22-Jan-16 10:20:25

Thanks Tywin - all day event. Reg opens 9.15.

Tywinlannister Fri 22-Jan-16 14:45:24

I don't know that area well but it's serviced better by the south & west so if you have a lot of delegates coming that way it may not be so bad.

We have an event on the same day and have had delegates drop out but ours is free so no real obligation to attend, plus I emailed them last week to make them aware of the strike before hand so we have had some notice from our cancellations.

Our venue doesn't require catering numbers till the day before either so I have gone quite a lot under to cut down on costs, should we get loads of non attendee's. Best of luck OP. If it is called off just let everyone know so that you can still get your numbers smile

lardyscouse Fri 22-Jan-16 15:07:40

[if drivers aren't striking ]

London Underground drivers are mostly RMT. Odd, but true.

LittleLionMansMummy Fri 22-Jan-16 15:58:59

Tywin I would say that the majority of delegates are coming in from North of London unfortunately (myself included!) Our event is free too, although delegates will have had to arrange travel or hotels. I've been sending out updates to keep them informed (and given alternative travel options) and only a handful have either cancelled or expressed reservations - they're a pretty resilient bunch! As the organiser though I'm trying to decide whether I'd just be better off staying in a hotel Tuesday night near the venue, rather than try to get from Kings Cross to Pimlico on the morning. I think I'll just wait until Monday before deciding...

PastaLaFeasta Fri 22-Jan-16 16:09:00

Vauxhall, Victoria and Waterloo at a push are within walking distance. There are some train services that run between stations you could look into, I know there are trains from Euston to Clapham Junction for example from where you can get to Vauxhall, Victoria and Waterloo. I have an event on Wednesday too and I don't think there are train stations nearby. I suspect our attendees will come by car anyway so I may be asking for a cab. Although I hold out hope it's called off, it often is anyway and sometimes it's quite a limited strike affecting certain stations/lines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now