Talk

Advanced search

To not have issues with the dole as a lifestyle choice

(107 Posts)
pinksaltlamp Wed 20-Jan-16 12:50:32

It's hardly a life of Riley at 72 quid a week but I think it would allow people some time out to develop themselves creatively. It's probably why the UK has and still does punch card above its weight in the arts, especially music. Some of the greatest musicians of the country have spent significant amounts of time on the role that allowed them to create music. Especially as there is a lack of jobs in this country. Maybe inflation, especially house prices, would be less if people had the security to leave jobs and try other things with a guaranteed safety net.

I do think there is a good argument for the citizen wage. Would allow people time out of work, at a very basic level of existence to educate, train and develop themselves. Let's face it most people hate going in to work for a job they don't like but are scared to make a change as most people are only a few pay packets from being g wiped out. I'm rambling on a bit but I do think something like the citizens wage would benefit the country and individuals long term.

hiddenhome2 Wed 20-Jan-16 12:52:38

I agree.

I think everyone should be provided with free housing and food too.

Oh, wait.......who's gonna pay for it though? confused

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Wed 20-Jan-16 12:52:48

I agree, but a lot of others will pile in saying YABU [wink}

weeblueberry Wed 20-Jan-16 12:53:58

What percentage of people on the dole do you think are spending their time on art classes and finding themselves creatively?

maz210 Wed 20-Jan-16 12:54:55

My first ever biscuit

I did actually start to reply to this seriously but got the rage halfway. Probably because I do a job I don't like to provide for my children and retain my self respect and independence.

pinksaltlamp Wed 20-Jan-16 12:55:02

Everyone should be provided with enough to scrape by, obviously for most they want luxuarys so will go to work.

The citizens wage is going ahead in parts of Denmark and Holland.

HermioneJeanGranger Wed 20-Jan-16 12:55:03

Who's going to pay for it all?

pinksaltlamp Wed 20-Jan-16 12:56:17

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/horace-trubridge/class-and-the-arts_b_8647352.html

bellybuttonfairy Wed 20-Jan-16 12:59:28

I'd love to take time out of my stressful job to spend time on my creative pursuits!

I don't think other people should pay for it though!

The average working group week is 40 hours so that leaves loads of time left to knock out a song or picture (if you are any good at it ).

If you are not good at it and need excess time and drugs to think up a meaningful line to a song - a reality check may be a good idea. Maybe you'd be best suited to a job elsewhere!

Cutecat78 Wed 20-Jan-16 13:00:41

DS1 is 18 (yr 13 at school). He didn't go back to college in Sep and got a casual contract (8 hrs a week) in a new shop. He worked full time but was laid off.

He is now unemployed and we are waiting to see if I "earn too much" for hi to be eligible for JSA. He is looking for a job every day but it's been 3 weeks and he has his first interview today.

I have lost my child benefit for him and my ex has halved his maintenance (I have a younger DD) rather than lowering it by 20%. Yet I still have no choice (other than kicking him out which I will not do) other than to support him - it still costs me the same as it did last August.

I am really struggling and if he doesn't get a job soon he will have to share a bedroom with his younger brother and I will get a student.

So if I resent being put in a position where I am supporting my adult son then yes I would resent supporting a stranger to "find themselves".

TheSecondViola Wed 20-Jan-16 13:01:15

It's a lot more than 72 quid a week though, isn't it? Housing benefit, tax credits, child benefit, free this that and the other....
I couldn't actually care less, but at least be honest with your premise.

redshoeblueshoe Wed 20-Jan-16 13:01:15

What is a citizen's wage ?

LuciaInFurs Wed 20-Jan-16 13:03:22

biscuit

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 20-Jan-16 13:03:22

biscuit biccie time.

Although I think there's some merit in a citizens wage for all.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 20-Jan-16 13:05:20

The idea that you need time lounging around in order to create is nonsense I'm afraid. I'm writing a book, doing it in my own time, fitting it round work. It wouldn't be a better book if I left work to write it (although perhaps it may be a quicker, I'll give you that!). The real world is good for art - we should be engaging with the world in order to create.

What is criminal is that the cost of higher education will price poorer students out of doing arts subjects. If you're going to spend ££££ on uni, I can absolutely see the logic of doing maths rather than music. Arts education is my real soapbox atm.

WorraLiberty Wed 20-Jan-16 13:05:51

72 quid a week?

Yeah and the rest....

What about housing benefit/council tax/prescription costs etc?

If anyone choosing the dole as a lifestyle choice wants to find themselves, they can do it while providing what they need for themselves to live.

pinksaltlamp Wed 20-Jan-16 13:08:34

Your son would be better off under sw, as no neneed to means test and you wouldn't need a student.

That's why I said the dole, I obviously don't agree with all the other extras (housing benefit mainly) but housing benefit does go largely to people in work, that is how messed up the system is at the moment.

AndNowItsSeven Wed 20-Jan-16 13:09:24

Cutecat your income has no bearing on your ds JSA claim, he is non dependant that you are obviously not in a relationship with.

pinksaltlamp Wed 20-Jan-16 13:10:26

I think the maths industry is suffering as all the bright people go into fs to make their fortune. This usually involves very complicated ways to rip people off, trading in nano seconds to make millions. But that's another topic.

Vanderwaals Wed 20-Jan-16 13:11:22

Hahahahaha I've heard it all now!

redshoeblueshoe Wed 20-Jan-16 13:14:07

ThroughThick - that's why I asked what is a citizens wage. Would it be for every adult ? Regardless of whether they are in paid employment or not. There could be some merit to that.

DrDreReturns Wed 20-Jan-16 13:14:53

What Maths industry? What do you mean by that?

Shakey15000 Wed 20-Jan-16 13:16:58

I can just imagine the hoards of people that would suddenly become "artists", buy up the world's supply of kaftans, floppy hats and start complaining that they were suffering from "creative block dhhallliink" hmm

Cutecat78 Wed 20-Jan-16 13:17:03

What is SW?

Ooh? I was under the impression it was means tested (this is NOT a long term plan!).

Under 25 he wouldn't be eligible for HB anyway and wouldn't need it living here with us - a contribution to his food/electric etc will really help me though.

Akire Wed 20-Jan-16 13:18:12

Years ago you could do this to some degree now JSA is one series of hoops every day. You must apply for X jobs must go on courses must do voluntary work after 6m etc. You run risk
Being sanctioned for 4 weeks 6 m then 3y if you fail once twice three times. Being 5min late for signing on can count as one fail. Your expected to log and put least 35h week into proving your job hunting and evidence it so it would be much easier to get a job!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now