Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to 'cap' tips

(21 Posts)
wink1970 Wed 20-Jan-16 11:27:06

Hi all

I'm a bit confused about tipping, after a friend said I was unreasonable to 'cap' tips I leave for the hairdressers etc.

I tend to tip a straightforward £10 for a hairdresser & £5 for a beautician; though neither are the 10-15% I'd leave in a restaurant, I think that is enough on top of a usual bill. Am I being stingy?

I appreciate this is a first world / middle class problem! Views appreciated anyway.

cailindana Wed 20-Jan-16 11:29:55

I don't tip hairdressers - they're expensive enough as it is!

Jackie0 Wed 20-Jan-16 11:31:45

I do that too op.
It seems petty to count out exactly 10 or 15%

maz210 Wed 20-Jan-16 11:32:15

£10 is a very large tip for a hairdresser, I leave £5 maximum and would consider myself a fairly good tipper. You're not being stingy at all.

MaidOfStars Wed 20-Jan-16 11:35:55

I have a colourist and a stylist at my hair appointments. I leave them a tenner each. The total of twenty is more than 10% of the bill, but neither of them gets an individual 10%. If I only had one person doing it all, I would still leave a tenner. So like you OP, I cap hairdresser tips.

purplefizz26 Wed 20-Jan-16 11:45:16

Your're not being stingy.

I don't tip anyone, they get paid to do their job just like I get paid to do mine smile

Shoxfordian Wed 20-Jan-16 11:50:48

I think it depends how much your haircut costs, I'd probably go 10% or just round up to the next 10 or 5
When I get my nails done, I usually just leave a quid tip

CallieTorres Wed 20-Jan-16 11:56:57

I'm another non tipper - if you're doing a good job then you should be paid a decent wage, and if you're not you can move to somewhere there is a decent wage.

I pay what you ask for

(this is a recurring thread - and some will bash you for not/tipping enough etc)

Actually, we normally only see the customer side on this, and the 'workers' who normally come on tend to say ' its a nice to have but not relied on' - is that right?

FireCrotch Wed 20-Jan-16 11:57:03

I always tip good service but I booked a table for 12 at an all you can eat restaurant. They emailed my reservation details and it said a 15% service charge is added because of my party size. I really don't have a problem tipping but telling me upfront when we're going to a place you serve yourself is cheeky isn't it? You even get your own drinks from the bar so it can't be that.

lucymootoo Wed 20-Jan-16 11:57:14

I round up. For example my eyebrows cost £12 so I give £15. I'm £21 for a cut and blow dry so I leave £25. My acrylic nails are £17.50 and I give £20.

If eating out I generally leave between £3-£10 tip (depending on how many were eating or what kind of restaurant etc).

wink1970 Wed 20-Jan-16 11:58:30

Thanks. I shall keep my current levels, I was mortified at the thought of being stingy! (my friend clearly has too much money!).

FireCrotch Wed 20-Jan-16 12:01:51

Callie, most of my jobs have been "tipping" ones but personally I really don't expect them. I get paid (ok shitty nmw) whether I'm tipped or not. I've always given good service regardless as I'd rather do your hair again and again ( and you recommend me to your friends) or you come back to my bar or restaurant again and again. I hope that makes sense. grin

Leelu6 Wed 20-Jan-16 12:02:31

Mu usual tips:

Haircut (cost £15) - £2 tip
Highlights (cost £50 - £3 tip
Face threading (cost £5 for eyebrows, UL and chin) - tip £1

£10 tip for hairdressers boggles my mind!

ginmakesitallok Wed 20-Jan-16 12:04:40

I leave £5 tip for hairdresser, and about 10% in restaurants

MaidOfStars Wed 20-Jan-16 12:05:04

if you're doing a good job then you should be paid a decent wage
I don't tip to supplement shit wages, I tip to buy as good a service as possible. I don't want kitchen staff gobbing in my food, I want my hairdresser to bring me wine, I want housekeeping to leave any odd half bottles of wine in MY fridge.

(Admittedly, some of the above relies on you being a regular customer at a place)

MaidOfStars Wed 20-Jan-16 12:05:42

(hmm, I clearly focus on wine quite a lot....)

CallieTorres Wed 20-Jan-16 13:07:26

i like your wine!!

*if you're doing a good job then you should be paid a decent wage
I don't tip to supplement shit wages, I tip to buy as good a service as possible. I don't want kitchen staff gobbing in my food, I want my hairdresser to bring me wine, I want housekeeping to leave any odd half bottles of wine in MY fridge. *

however: I expect this as its how grown ups should act?

KakiFruit Wed 20-Jan-16 13:13:33

Kitchen staff don't "gob on your food" if you don't leave a tip. I have no idea where people are eating that they think this is an issue.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Wed 20-Jan-16 13:28:17

£10 tip, my haircut only costs £8.

tiggerkid Wed 20-Jan-16 14:33:54

£10 tip, my haircut only costs £8. - mine costs £17 and £10 tip would make almost 59% of the price!

I think this shows that the amount you tip is a matter of perspective and affordability!

EssentialHummus Wed 20-Jan-16 14:40:32

I tip the hair-washer, who is usually a skint apprentice and needs the money - £5. The bloke charging me £50 for a haircut is doing better than me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now