Advanced search

To think that DH sent his tax return back on time

(10 Posts)
Summeblaze Wed 20-Jan-16 10:46:25

First time that DH has needed to do a tax return due to the new child benefit rules.

Online return deadline is 31st January and we filled it in online, sent it and received confirmation back from them on the 10th January. We received a penalty notice this morning to say we had to pay £100 as it was late. I'm very confused.

abbsismyhero Wed 20-Jan-16 10:48:03

ring them and challenge it point out the deadline and the confirmation letter

butterflymum Wed 20-Jan-16 10:52:26

Was this for 2014/15 tax year?

butterflymum Wed 20-Jan-16 10:55:36

Meant to also say, could it be that he should have completed a SA for 2013/14 and it is this that is late?

sunseeker66 Wed 20-Jan-16 10:57:26

We have to do the same. To pay your tax back through your PAYE code it had to be done by 31st Dec. Other than that you are fine to do it by the end of January. My other half done it the other day with no penalty.

Summeblaze Wed 20-Jan-16 10:58:19

DH has rang them and they said its for the year before. We only went into the bracket to need to do this, this year and have never done one before so even more confused now. They said we need to fill one in even though we didn't fall into the criteria then and then appeal. Fuming.

Summeblaze Wed 20-Jan-16 11:00:51

They didn't contact us to fill one in. We got in touch with them to say that we now fell into the bracket so can we have information on how to fill in return. This wasn't relevant the year before as I have been keeping my eye on it since they brought it in as I knew we were close to the threshold.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 20-Jan-16 12:29:55

Have you got his P60 for 2014-15? If he is under the threshold you can send it to them with an appeal letter.

I've appealed several things and it's been fine. It's worth bearing in mind that it's all computerised and automated. There isn't someone at HMRC "out to get you" grin but the person that the appeals go to will have to have a certain amount of documentation to sign it off as legit.

It's a ballache though and not a nice feeling wine

PicaK Wed 20-Jan-16 19:49:36

oh gosh that sounds irritating. Surely tho if you can prove via P60 that Apr 2013-April 2014 he didn't earn over £50k and didn't need to fill it in then they'll refund. But still v irritating.

ImogenTubbs Wed 20-Jan-16 21:18:19

You should be able to get it back. I went travelling a few years back and let my flat out so I did a tax return. I then returned and lived in the flat so and was paying tax only through PAYE. I registered this (can't remember how, maybe I did a return but just said I wasn't getting any rental income). Then a few years later I moved in with DH and let the flat again, so registered for tax returns again.

At that point I got a letter fining me for late returns and non-payment for all the time I was living in the flat. It was quite a shocker and a very chunky bill. I called them. And they just cancelled it. They were really good and quick. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: