Talk

Advanced search

to find this bloody annoying - yes mil related

(23 Posts)
Dontunderstand01 Wed 20-Jan-16 09:57:29

So it really has nothing to do with the fact that she is my MIL... but step MIL goes to Australia every year for about a month.

Every time she comes back she puts on facebook 'Ugh. So COLD. I left 40 degree heat to come back to this. It's freezing'.

Well yes its England it's January. Ffs what does she expect!? And why not be blooming grateful she gets to go away for a month at a time anyway?!

Btw she is normally 'hidden' on facebook but they are visiting soon so I thought I had better take a look and see what they had been up to as I have been caught out before.

Borninthe60s Wed 20-Jan-16 09:59:18

Just ignore her.

PaulAnkaTheDog Wed 20-Jan-16 10:01:26

I personally couldn't get worked up enough to put a thread up about it.

Birdsgottafly Wed 20-Jan-16 10:03:10

It's her wall, she can share what she thinks on it, like anyone can.

You read and decide if it's of any interest to you, that's how FB works.

She may be reiterating to people that she's just been to Australia, in case anyone missed that, that's also what FB is for, to piss people off. It's a more subtle way of bragging.

Try to get over your dislike of her, she's got the personality she's got.

Birdsgottafly Wed 20-Jan-16 10:04:29

""I thought I had better take a look and see what they had been up to as I have been caught out before.""

It sounds as though you're all over invested in FB, how can you get 'caught out', when your catching up with someone?

Dontunderstand01 Wed 20-Jan-16 10:04:58

Paul you are right ... I think I am probably pissed off about the zillion other things going on with her and I am focusing on this. Maybe the last straw.

weakly in my defence she will post something along these lines 3 times a day for next few weeks and when she visits everything will be 'well in Australia they do it x way' and 'in Australia it's so much better.

But yes - I am being petty.

Dontunderstand01 Wed 20-Jan-16 10:07:11

Birds gotta. I hear you- I check Facebook every month of so. But Step MIL documents her life on there so when I say caught out it is that she has put up pictures / mentioned things which I am oblivious to. Then when they visit I ask 'oh how is so and so' and get told 'didn't you see on my face book? '

They are obsessed with it to the point of it causing problems with other family members.

Writing it all down it sounds insane...

Oysterbabe Wed 20-Jan-16 10:08:22

People post all kinds of crap. I wouldn't worry about it.

Dontunderstand01 Wed 20-Jan-16 10:09:22

I do dislike her. Can't lie. But I do try really really hard to make her feel welcome and to get on with it... I just thought venting on a forum might be a way of letting it out.

Oldraver Wed 20-Jan-16 10:13:14

My Mum came back on Friday after 6 weeks in Florida... and she keeps wittering on about the cold. I just find it another attention seeking 'I have been on holiday' thing

hellsbellsmelons Wed 20-Jan-16 10:28:15

My response would be 'Well then why did you come back if it's so great over there and so awful over here? You could make it a permanent move out there next time - No???'

BertrandRussell Wed 20-Jan-16 10:31:14

And this is connected to her being your MIL exactly how? hmm

Dontunderstand01 Wed 20-Jan-16 10:40:02

As per the opening line of my post betrand... it has feck all to do with her being my MIL. I was attempting to be tongue in cheek.

Epic fails all over this thread. Yes I should ignore it. Yes I am petty and no it doesn't really have anything to do with her being my mil. Other than I can't completely ignore her (if only)...

CadleCrap Wed 20-Jan-16 10:45:28

I am in Australia and no one goes out in 40 degree heat, everyone is inside with aircon on.

She is just doing the face book " my life is so glamorous" bollocks. She probably sat there complaining about how hot it was.

TooMuchOfEverything Wed 20-Jan-16 10:48:50

I have an annoying person in my life that I can't ignore. The only reason I haven't started a MN thread is fear of being outed.

OP have some wine from me. I feel your pain.

tiggerkid Wed 20-Jan-16 11:08:47

She is just doing the face book " my life is so glamorous" bollocks. - exactly!

WhereYouLeftIt Wed 20-Jan-16 11:10:01

"She probably sat there complaining about how hot it was."
I was thinking just that.

OP, your step-MIL has given you a couple of lines you could run with if you wanted to.

'in Australia it's so much better.'
I would actually ask if she'd ever thought about a permanent move. Not in a 'please go' sort of way, just in an interested, you sound as if you'd like to, sort of way. I'm guessing you don't enjoy her company, this would allow time to pass without you having to scrabble for conversation, just let her talk. Although maybe raise the question about staying indoors with air-con because it's tooo hot.

'didn't you see on my face book? '
Respond 'honestly I rarely look at it more than one a month, I just can't get into it.' Because you don't use FB much, most many people don't, you shouldn't feel the need to pretend you do.

If you want a sly dig you could add something along the lines of 'I just don't have the time' (implication - you have nothing else in your life do you you sad PITA) or 'I much prefer face-to-face interaction, FB feels so impersonal don't you think?' (implication - FB posts are just a round robin, I am not your captive audience).

pictish Wed 20-Jan-16 11:16:41

Post 1 So it really has nothing to do with the fact that she is my MIL... but

Post 2 Paul you are right ... I think I am probably pissed off about the zillion other things going on with her and I am focusing on this. Maybe the last straw.

Ha ha grin

On this alone yabu. She's stealth boasting which is always annoying, but meh...it's trivial.
I can see she gets on your tits though.

ImperialBlether Wed 20-Jan-16 11:19:25

Does she have a child over there. Apparently if half or more of your children live there, then you can retire there.

GruntledOne Wed 20-Jan-16 11:26:46

Encourage her to go to Australia in July. That way there's a fighting chance of it being coldish there and hot here.

mouldycheesefan Wed 20-Jan-16 11:44:16

Don't follow her on Facebook. If she says oh didn't you see my pics on fb say no, I rarely go on there.

This is a non issue the solution is blindingly obvious. Stop caring and reading what she puts on fbIf you don't like her, don't give her headspace,

Dontunderstand01 Wed 20-Jan-16 11:55:04

Some good advice- thanks where you left it

Imperial - sadly not otherwise I would be wholeheartedly advocating a move.

Mouldy- yiu are right. I know it because it is bleeding obvious as you say. But if I don't look at her pictures / posts on facebook she will be huffy and sigh-y with me all weekend abs make digs about 'taking an interest' when the topic comes up. Trust me, venting on here is the lesser of too evils.

Dontunderstand01 Wed 20-Jan-16 11:56:50

Pictish - I am massively U I know. And it genuinely had feck all to do with her being step mil. She loves ds to bits and for that I will put up with always anything (but need to bitch about it here grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now