Talk

Advanced search

to ask if you mop or wipe?

(64 Posts)
mrshyde27 Tue 19-Jan-16 19:51:12

v v boring I know...we have been using anti-bac floor wipes the last couple of weeks for the kitchen and conservatory floor. Decided to put the mop round tonight as I'd run out of wipes. The water was black by the time I'd finished.
I used the anti-bac wipes every other day to do the floors and thought they were doing a good job until tonight.
Any one else notice this?

Palomb Tue 19-Jan-16 19:51:48

Wipe. Life is to short to mop.

TremoloGreen Tue 19-Jan-16 20:00:22

Wipe the floor with wipes shock How can that be quicker? And of course it doesn't clean the floor, they are just meant to sterilise surfaces that are already clean. I spray mop daily to every other day, wet mop at least once a week. I used to buy those wipes to quickly wipe down highchairs/tables in cafes when dd was first weaned, otherwise no use for them.

Meht Tue 19-Jan-16 20:03:11

Wipe with a floor cloth, rinse cloth every few mins til water is clean, & spray floor with cleaner & wipe.

Wash cloth out in sink.& then machine wash it.

Less waste when using 1 cloth.

BolshierAryaStark Tue 19-Jan-16 20:04:56

How is it quicker to wipe than mop? hmm
I mop.

0christmastree5 Tue 19-Jan-16 20:05:51

Steam mop once week
Floor cleaning slippers and spray spot cleans in between.

MsJamieFraser Tue 19-Jan-16 20:06:23

Use an old fashioned mop and bucket everyday, (boiled kettle) and every other 3-4 days, we have use a heavy duty steam mop (ds is anaphylactic to dust mites).

PuntasticUsername Tue 19-Jan-16 20:07:43

Using that number of wipes regularly is a somewhat wasteful way of cleaning really...but there is no way I'd fanny about with buckets of mucky water and soggy mops either. Life is SO too short for that.

So i have a steam mop, which I love - it cleans and sanitises, then you just chuck the dirty pad straight in the washing machine. No other clearing up to do at all. And the floor dries dead quick, cos you don't put much water on it and it's (obviously) very hot.

MiddleClassProblem Tue 19-Jan-16 20:07:51

Meht you must be exhausted!

MsJamieFraser Tue 19-Jan-16 20:08:06

Going to charge my laptop, cannot write with a bloody iPhone and bloody autocorrect!

PuntasticUsername Tue 19-Jan-16 20:10:49

Floor cleaning slippers?

FLOOR CLEANING SLIPPERS?

Omg. This is a game changer.

ThatsIrrelephant Tue 19-Jan-16 20:11:18

I use floor wipes for my kitchen - all 1.5x1 metres of it grin

WitchWay Tue 19-Jan-16 20:12:13

I wipe up obvious spills & marks with a soapy dishcloth, which then is slung into the washing machine. Crumby messes are vacuumed or brushed up. I mop the kitchen floor all over when I do the main cleaning, roughly once every week.

janethegirl2 Tue 19-Jan-16 20:13:07

Vacuumed mainly but steam mop when floor gets sticky.

Ragwort Tue 19-Jan-16 20:14:08

Mop - but not very often.

MrsMook Tue 19-Jan-16 20:15:17

Mop for the kitchen. Wipes for the smaller spaces of the bathroom/ toilets. Saves lugging a bucket around the house and having children sloshing through a slow drying floor.

Sighing Tue 19-Jan-16 20:26:02

Steam mop every couple of days. Every week I mop/ scrub before a steam mop. Our floor never looks bloody clean though (it's a pattern that looks grey where it shouldn't) .

Bluenailsblueshoes Tue 19-Jan-16 20:38:35

tremolo what's spray mop? Intrigued

0christmastree5 Tue 19-Jan-16 20:40:42

Puntastic ... Gamechanger ??? How? should I be laughing (I am) or offended? (I'm not)

MiddleClassProblem Tue 19-Jan-16 20:42:10

It's a compliment! Pun finds it amazing in a good way as do I!

rosewithoutthorns Tue 19-Jan-16 20:44:09

I get on my hands and knees and do it the right way. A mop just swishes most stuff around and doesn't clean along skirtings and in corners.

PuntasticUsername Tue 19-Jan-16 20:47:11

It's a huge compliment! I'm on Amazon right now and am regretting having already made weekend plans...

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Tue 19-Jan-16 20:50:40

Hopefully this works, Bluenails, these are spray mops. I have had the Vileda one languishing in a cupboard since I got my Morphy Richards 9-in-1 steam mop. I use it when there are too many paw prints on the kitchen floor grin

nilly1306 Tue 19-Jan-16 20:56:06

I use wipes to wipe a small area after mealtimes, particularly where my toddler has been sitting, but find a traditional mop much more practical for the whole kitchen.

Recently bought a flat sponge mops. What a mistake. Either I don't know how to use it, or it is critical completely useless. Leaves wet streaks of water on the floor.

stairbears Tue 19-Jan-16 20:58:09

Shit. Have lived in house for months... Have never washed floor (makes mental note). Guess dirt doesn't show up on wood...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now