To expect to be told the "dispatched within 24 hours" on a uk website means dispatched from China

(15 Posts)
pinksaltlamp Tue 19-Jan-16 17:54:35

Just made a quite big purchase that I wanted for next week, I noticed it said dispatched within 24 hours so I held off until yesterday for ordering.

Now I've ordered it, and it has indeed been dispatched within ,24 hours. But what the UK website failed to tell me is this is from china!

I know its probably somewhere in the small print, but its misleading imo.

notquitehuman Tue 19-Jan-16 18:13:22

YANBU. It's a pain in the arse. Can you cancel and reorder from elsewhere? I always look for an estimated delivery date nowadays, because dispatch dates seem to be meaningless.

Fourormore Tue 19-Jan-16 18:15:00

Dispatch date doesn't mean anything really though. They could send it on a low priority UK service and it take several days to arrive, or on a next day service from China.

I would expect to be made aware it was coming from China on the basis that you could be liable for customs charges.

Whatdoidohelp Tue 19-Jan-16 18:16:43

What was the website? So I can avoid in the future smile

whois Tue 19-Jan-16 18:29:56

Yeah that's crap.

NadiaWadia Tue 19-Jan-16 18:30:32

Was it a seller on Amazon Marketplace? Some of them are a bit bad for not giving their location (Amazon should make them).

Actually they are breaking the Distance Selling Regulations by not informing customers.

TattyDevine Tue 19-Jan-16 18:32:04

A next day service from China, Fourormore? grin

12 hours on a plane, getting to the airport, from the airport, not likely

(Not trying to nitpick by the way, I'm happy to be corrected if such a thing exists)

EponasWildDaughter Tue 19-Jan-16 19:08:04

More than once i've had stuff arrive from china within a week of dispatch while a UK order dispatched on the same day is still nowhere to be seen.

Always check the small print OP. Live and learn.

Izzabellasasperella Tue 19-Jan-16 19:08:13

I dislike websites that do that. Ebay allows you to filter out international sellers before browsing. I wish more sites would do that, Amazon I'm looking at you.

pinksaltlamp Tue 19-Jan-16 19:12:20

It was from the dell uk website. A 1600 pound laptop!

I understand sometimes these cheap items from eBay or amazon trick you, but they do clearly say 3-4 weeks. This gave no indication.

I ordered from dell with a 7% discount, should of just bought from amazon with the 5% discount and next day delivery. Dell are already showing how shit they are at customer service as they haven't even replied to my message or tweet this morning.

bruffin Tue 19-Jan-16 19:15:17

It takes about a week to come from dell. Ds ordered one for starting uni in september

NadiaWadia Tue 19-Jan-16 19:25:00

Oh Dell, yeah, I remember a few years ago we ordered a new desktop computer from Dell, and they kept putting back the date it would arrive. I protested by email, but they didn't seem bothered, so we ending up cancelling the order and buying elsewhere.

hiddenhome2 Tue 19-Jan-16 19:32:43

It's quicker than it used to be.

Three months when dh ordered a money box for ds' birthday several years ago.

Stuff from China often arrives in about a week now.

pinksaltlamp Tue 19-Jan-16 22:09:51

We're you charged import tax from dell?

It's pretty shit service, I'm paying virtually the amazon price, with shit service and delivery that's expected to take three weeks. Dell don't even do custom pcs anymore. So there is no excuse really.

bruffin Wed 20-Jan-16 06:52:30

No import tax

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now