to think it's irresponsible and reckless to accept large numbers of migrants when

(208 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

wonderingminds Tue 19-Jan-16 16:17:48

All over the country lots of factories are closing down and there is a serious shortage of housing.

ouryve Tue 19-Jan-16 16:20:05

I don't know. Are you?

There's been lots of threads about this on MN. I'm sure you can form your own educated opinions if you read around a bit wider than the Daily mail

wonderingminds Tue 19-Jan-16 16:21:40

Yes it is a concern. As I'm sure it is to many.

Oh and I don't read the Daily Mail. Sorry

WhatsGoingOnEh Tue 19-Jan-16 16:23:30

I agree that our tiny country can't support endless migrants, but I don't know about the factory connection.

PaulAnkaTheDog Tue 19-Jan-16 16:24:21

Here we go...

wonderingminds Tue 19-Jan-16 16:25:26

They will want to work.
but where will all these jobs come from?

wonderingminds Tue 19-Jan-16 16:26:27

PaulAnka, it doesn't have to descend into a bun fight.
As long as people keep from hurling personal sarcastic insults, then we could have an open discussion about it.

Osolea Tue 19-Jan-16 16:26:38

It would be irresponsible to neglect people that need our help in my mind.

You may as well say it's irresponsible to have children when there's factories closing down and and a housing shortage, but most people would be horrified at the suggestion they should be allowed to procreate.

knobblyknee Tue 19-Jan-16 16:27:47

Its a Tory policy started by John Major who signed the Maastricht Treaty. (It allowed the current influx of economic migrants.)
At that time Labour opposed it and were gleefully accused of racism by the right.

They were too scared of the spin to oppose the policy when it came up again in later years.

The right dont care if labour is cheap and plentiful so it wont ever stop.

knobblyknee Tue 19-Jan-16 16:29:13

...I'm not talking about people fleeing ISIS. They need and deserve all the help they can get.
As the Jews did when they tried to leave Nazi Germany but were blocked by anti Semetic quotas. There's no difference IMO.

stampedingthefields Tue 19-Jan-16 16:30:13

It depends.

We absolutely have a moral obligation to take refugees.

I believe we should not currently be taking migrants but our current position in the EU means we have to.

wonderingminds Tue 19-Jan-16 16:32:18

As an example, there is already huge unemployment in areas of South Wales, all industry has more or less ceased.
How will areas like that cope if even more people settle there?
There aren't any jobs for the people as it is. They are under huge strain.
Whole communities are collapsing.

And this is happening all over the country.

People have to think about the long term picture.

Sallyingforth Tue 19-Jan-16 16:39:00

Sadly I have to agree with the OP.
Comparison with taking in Jews from Germany is unrealistic because the numbers wanting to come here this time are many times greater.

thecitydoc Tue 19-Jan-16 16:40:38

not sure how factory closures is relevant to this discussion - most migrants who come to Britain do so to a job and they make a net contribution to the economy - they more than pay their way, many doing jobs local people do not do, and in my limited experience make a far better job.

The housing shortage is a different issue. This is a national scandal and is a direct result of Thatcher's right to buy scheme for council house tenants. Don't have a problem with selling houses to long term tenants but the real scandal was that she forbade councils from using the money received in the sale to build more houses - her legacy will run for generations in Britain and it is a negative legacy.

None EU immigration is tightly controlled but we can't do anything about EU citizens coming here, at least until the referendum if the UK votes out.

To answer the question - no it is not irresponsible as immigrants bring huge benefits to our country. We should perhaps be encouraging the indigenous neer do wells to emigrate.

LurkingHusband Tue 19-Jan-16 16:41:50

Its a Tory policy started by John Major who signed the Maastricht Treaty. (It allowed the current influx of economic migrants.)

Bollocks three times.

Free movement within the EU was a fundamental cornerstone of the treaty of Rome in the 1950s, which the UK signed in 1973. Blame Ted Heath if you want to stick it to a Tory PM.

As I commented in another thread, the level of ignorance about such a crucial part of our lives is breathtaking and frightening and probably not an accident, given how our media works

LurkingHusband Tue 19-Jan-16 16:42:58

We should perhaps be encouraging the indigenous neer do wells to emigrate.

Who'd want them ?

wonderingminds Tue 19-Jan-16 16:47:55

^ most migrants who come to Britain do so to a job and they make a net contribution to the economy^

I agree.
But there have to be enough jobs to go round in the first place.

Factories are closing down at an alarming rate. Some areas have more unemployed than employed.

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 19-Jan-16 16:48:18

Large parts of South Wales have been collapsing for decades. Nothing new sad

BishopBrennansArse Tue 19-Jan-16 16:49:55

Ok. When we've got enough nurses trained up to replace the 47% currently filled by immigrants let us know.

TheCatsMeow Tue 19-Jan-16 16:50:50

The lack of jobs is down to the government not investing in public services and not pushing cash into the economy.

Nowt to do with migration m'afraid

ghostyslovesheep Tue 19-Jan-16 16:53:40

tsk all those qualified Doctors, Nurses and Teachers taking all the factory jobs ... oh no wait ...

If there are no jobs I am not sure how they can 'take' them anyway - economic migrants will tend to go where this IS work - AS and those seeking refugee status can't work so it's not really an issue

TheSunnySide Tue 19-Jan-16 16:53:50

hmmm... closing a factory Vs bombing the shit out of homes....

hmmmm

ABetaDad1 Tue 19-Jan-16 16:56:30

I am not at all sure we can continue to tell low skilled people on Benefits that they should go and get a job when we are importing even more low skilled immigrants to compete for those very jobs.

ArcheryAnnie Tue 19-Jan-16 16:59:56

wonderingminds so, this is totally an opinion you have based on economic necessity and not any kneekjerk xenophoboa?

Most immigrants come with a skill, and want to be economically active - creating wealth, paying tax and so on. People wo immigrate are often the most resourceful and go-getting from the communities that they've left.

In contrast, you typically have to wait years and years before babies are economically active, and pay into the system before they take out. And people in the UK are still recklessly having babies all over the place, the selfish, economically-illiterate rotters.

I look forward to your campaign to ban having children, and encouraging immigration.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Tue 19-Jan-16 17:00:04

Op said migrants not refugees sunnyside

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now