Advanced search

To think there is an organisation out there who can help elderly parents fight inaccurate DWP reclaim of benefits. Am IBU to ask if you know who they are?

(15 Posts)
28Limes Tue 19-Jan-16 07:55:31

Elderly parents have been told they owe literally thousands in benefits they shouldn't have claimed. They both have major health issues so don't fully understand just how much DWP is trying to reclaim.

I'm pretty savvy about benefits and think DWP have got some major flaws in their calculations but my phone calls and emails have got us nowhere

AIBU to ask if there's an organisation who can help them fight this case?

gamerchick Tue 19-Jan-16 08:00:25


Osolea Tue 19-Jan-16 08:02:11

If they're elderly try Age Concern.

Blu Tue 19-Jan-16 08:18:05

Age Concern have well trained volunteers who will come to the house.
I am not sure they would take on an actual legal battle but they will help lay out the facts and entitlements.

Blu Tue 19-Jan-16 08:19:38

and post in legal / financial where money and legal people post.

28Limes Tue 19-Jan-16 08:20:43

Tried Age Concern and spoke to volunteers but they didn't seem well trained at all :-(

Meht Tue 19-Jan-16 08:21:04

Age Concern will help, they are great.

Meht Tue 19-Jan-16 08:24:43

These people may be able to point you in the right direction;

carersuk Carers UK

rallytog1 Tue 19-Jan-16 08:34:30

CAB. They'll understand the process for appealing a DWP decision and should be able to guide your parents through the process.

rallytog1 Tue 19-Jan-16 08:35:13

And their local MP.

Thomasthetank456 Tue 19-Jan-16 08:36:16

You have the right of appeal against any decision the dwp make think this maybe your best course of action. The appeals rights should have been given in the overpayment letters they sent

Baconyum Tue 19-Jan-16 08:37:00

Most social services offices have a welfare rights adviser who understand the system very well. If not one where you are try people like step change or the Christians against poverty (not sure if that's exactly right name)

Oldsu Tue 19-Jan-16 08:47:06

I am very surprised about Age UK I have always found them helpful, they came round and helped my old dad fill in benefit forms did you ring the advice line on 0800 169 2081.

First of all to get the full picture you need to get a subject access request - I will post a link when I can find it, they have to respond within a certain time think its 40 days and if you do it for them you will need their DOBs and NI Numbers.

I am assuming that the benefits they are claiming is pension credit as the state pension is not means tested and cannot be overpaid, unless there was a mix up with their NICs in which case its the DWP/Pension service error not your parents.

However if the DWP calculations are correct they will have to pay it back even if its taken from their pensions, but if I were you I would mention the word vulnerable in all your calls and correspondence, it may not stop them getting the money back but they should have protocols in dealing with vulnerable claimants, make sure they tell you what they are and make sure they adhere to them

Oldsu Tue 19-Jan-16 08:49:46

SheHasAWildHeart Tue 19-Jan-16 09:02:16

Close friend worked at CAB for years as she did this on a daily basis, so yes visit them asap.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: