Talk

Advanced search

To be really disappointed by War and Peace on BBC?

(67 Posts)
EasyToEatTiger Mon 18-Jan-16 18:09:54

It seems to be a string of little cameos strung together without thought. Lots of pretty girls and pretty boys and a few naked tits and bums. I cannot believe that War and Peace is sooooooooo dull.

ghostyslovesheep Mon 18-Jan-16 18:13:11

I'm quiet enjoying it - it's a hard one to capture so I guess they have lifted the lighter love story bits and not so much of the angst and inner turmoil

QuizteamBleakley Mon 18-Jan-16 18:13:49

Pride and Prejudiceski.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Mon 18-Jan-16 18:15:18

Pride and Prejudiceski
Proper belly laughed

DawnOfTheDoggers Mon 18-Jan-16 18:16:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maudofallhopefulness Mon 18-Jan-16 18:19:13

I like it.

ghostyslovesheep Mon 18-Jan-16 18:19:14

Pride and Prejudiceski

yes grin it's not hard going but if you take the light and fluffy as good Sunday night TV - it works (beats the awful Call The Midwife)

Finola1step Mon 18-Jan-16 18:21:36

I have found it much easier to watch than I thought it would be. So War and Peace Lite. That said, Paul Dano as Pierre is outstanding. I actually had a little tear in my eye and the end of last night's episode.

I also find Ade Edmondson as Count Rostov rather compelling.

ginandbearit Mon 18-Jan-16 18:22:21

Phwoaar and Peace... I'll get my coat ..

harryhausen Mon 18-Jan-16 18:26:54

I'm enjoying it. I agree about Ade Edmondson. He's so good as a generous hearted father who's a bit foolish. I agree that man who plays Pierre is wonderful. Really rooting for him.

But yes, War and Peace litegrin

Snoopadoop Mon 18-Jan-16 18:28:46

I like it. Although it might because I'm lusting after Dolokhov.

NickyEds Mon 18-Jan-16 18:32:02

It's a bit Downton-flavoured-take-your-brain-out stuff but i haven't read the book so what do I know!!??

Floisme Mon 18-Jan-16 18:35:13

It's better than the book grin

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Mon 18-Jan-16 18:35:50

I'm really enjoying it. I think Paul Dano is brilliant. And I love James Norton. He is so lovely.

OttiliaVonBCup Mon 18-Jan-16 18:37:49

Why does Natasha have this gormless look about her?

She's supposed to be the epitome of Russian femininity and soul, and she is a bit of a simple simpering thing?

WillBeatJanuaryBlues Mon 18-Jan-16 18:41:13

I am really enjoying it! My expectations have been very low, and I love the snow scenes, the russian singing, the costumes. Yes man who plays count is very good....it has atmosphere....

I have not read book though and know little about it

FreshHorizons Mon 18-Jan-16 18:47:44

I am really enjoying it. I loved the way they did the ballroom scene last night.

Orangeanddemons Mon 18-Jan-16 18:51:21

I gave up watching it yesterday. I can't seem to follow it at all. Too many characters <easily confused>

I watched Call the Midwife though. Much more relaxing on the brain

Floisme Mon 18-Jan-16 18:57:39

Did anyone see the version they made in the 70s with Anthony Hopkins as Pierre? It went on for weeks and weeks but, from what I remember, it was much more compelling. It even inspired me to read the book - 3 months of my life I'll never get back.

EasyToEatTiger Mon 18-Jan-16 18:59:36

I think it's well performed and it looks lovely. I just feel as though I've had my brain eaten. Better go back to Zola.....

Celticlassie Mon 18-Jan-16 18:59:50

I think Natasha was a bit better this week - I wonder if in the past she was trying to play 'young', hence the gormlessness.

LaPharisienne Mon 18-Jan-16 19:01:25

I love love love it, but I'm a soppy old romantic and a die-hard war and peace fan so a bit biased!

Madbengalmum Mon 18-Jan-16 19:04:35

Im liking it, poor pierre, he seems so nice as well!!

80sMum Mon 18-Jan-16 19:05:55

I think it is too condensed,so the story has no flow. I much prefer the original 1973 series, which had far more episodes and went into the characters with more depth. In this current series, years pass in a matter of a few scenes and we have to guess what may have happened in the missing years.

BlueJug Mon 18-Jan-16 19:06:25

Yes I remember the 70s WandP - brilliant.
Have read the book several times. It takes a bit of effort and is not an easy read but I love it.
And I used to be "in love" with Pierre. The souls searching and angst appealed to my teenage sensibilities. Should watch the Sunday night thing and see if I have grown out of that.
(Clashes with Endeavour and am also in love with Roger Allam...) Oh dilemmas, dilemmas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now