Talk

Advanced search

To buy a massive climbing frame even though my garden is medium sized?

(19 Posts)
Titsywoo Sun 17-Jan-16 17:31:27

DC barely use the garden and since we are trying to get them out more and get DS more exercise we decided a climbing frame would suit best. DC are 8 and 11 so need something good sized and were happy to spend £1000. This has just popped up on sale dunsterhouse.co.uk/megafort-mountain-mkii-w7-1m-x-d4-9m

It is BIG though. Our garden in 9.5 metres wide by 14 metres long. Currently it is just lawn and nothing else. I am going to check if planning permission is needed in the morning but I need to decide and order tonight (they said I can cancel in AM if any issues with permission).

Neighbours on the side it will be on are fine with it (fence is pretty high anyway).

Do it or not? I know they will get a lot of use out of it. But it is going to take over our garden. But then we don't use it anyway!

Help!

PippaPug Sun 17-Jan-16 17:36:40

Do it!

squoosh Sun 17-Jan-16 17:36:54

Well I wouldn't!

What if it's a one week wonder and then they lose all interest? Then you'll be stuck with a (monkey-less) monkey enclosure instead of a garden.

tillytown Sun 17-Jan-16 17:40:03

Would there be enough room for them to use the swings safely?

Lucyccfc Sun 17-Jan-16 17:41:49

I have quite a small garden and managed to fit in a climbing frame, with 2 swings, big turret, slide and a trapeze. Cost me about £700 when DS was 5.

He is 10 now and it has been really well used. We def got our money's worth - he was out playing on it today.

Osmiornica Sun 17-Jan-16 17:41:59

Do it!

If I had the money I'd make most of my garden a conservatory then at least I could use it when it rained which is most of the time round here. The last 2 years I've hardly used the garden at all.

My children would absolutely love something like that climbing frame.

budgiegirl Sun 17-Jan-16 17:48:55

It depends on how much you think they'd use it. Why do they not use the garden now? Are they very active kids? Do they like to go to the park and use the climbing frame there? It's an awful lot of money for something they may not use.
Would you be better to get something else, new bikes if there's somewhere to ride them, or a trampoline, a football goal - all a lot cheaper.

SaucyJack Sun 17-Jan-16 18:00:20

Seeing as you asked- I wouldn't. I think you've left it for years too late to be buying play equipment for your ages of DC.

I think you'd be better off spending the money on karate/trampolining/street dance lessons meself.

SaucyJack Sun 17-Jan-16 18:00:47

*four years

PrimalLass Sun 17-Jan-16 18:02:56

My DS is 10 and there is no way we'd get value for money from that. They just wouldn't use it enough. A trampoline would be better IMO.

The best thing we've bought for the garden is £30 Swingball.

Artandco Sun 17-Jan-16 18:04:14

I wouldn't. If they don't like going out the last 11 years i think it's too late. Mine would love it at 5 years, but I'm not sure they still would in 6+ ears time.

Use the money to buy some outdoor summer games like giant Jenga, giant chess, and bikes for outside ( not garden I mean proper riding in woods/ park/ beaches)

Vaginaaa Sun 17-Jan-16 18:05:17

I'd get it!

SuperCee7 Sun 17-Jan-16 18:06:55

At 8 and 11, no I wouldn't do it. for me the cost would out weight the potential years of use for me. At those ages most kids I know may like an occasional trip to the park but prefer to play independently with other kids doing football and general running around. If they're not out doorsy kids, I don't think a climbing frame will change that for more than a honeymoon period. Encourage them to do sporting activities at school maybe.

I don't think it's the right time of year for it either. The excitement of it may be over by the time the warmer weather rolls around.

BlackeyedShepherdsbringsheep Sun 17-Jan-16 18:07:09

if it will fit. if it is not too close to the fence. (that one is sort of wide and long) why not.

Titsywoo Sun 17-Jan-16 18:08:33

They like going outside but there is nothing to do in this garden. We moved here 3 years ago and before that had a huge garden but it was rented so couldn't put anything in it (there was a swing set they used a lot and we added a trampoline which got a good amount of use). When asked they said they would like a climbing frame with a slide, climbing wall and monkey bars which is how we found this.

I think it would get a lot of use but I can't be certain!

Yes there would be enough room for the swings re clearance.

It is a lot of money but I am more concerned about it being an eyesore.

BlackeyedShepherdsbringsheep Sun 17-Jan-16 18:16:23

trellis on the top of the fences that are yours so you can shield the neighbours. sod what it looks like to you/your visitors if the children enjoy it.

RookieMonster Sun 17-Jan-16 18:23:34

I bought a geo dome climbing frame from Costco m.costco.com/Lifetime-Geometric-Dome-Climber.product.100080566.html

My DC are 12, 11, 9, 5 and 2. They LOVE it. It's very sturdy, and has multiple uses (drape fabric over the top for a fort, attach a hammock inside, etc).

If I were you, I'd get a dome as above and a decent sized trampoline. I think those items will still be in use during teen years, as opposed to the perfectly nice but a bit young frame you suggest.

Dixiechickonhols Sun 17-Jan-16 18:40:36

I wouldn't for that age. My DD is almost 10 and her and her friends don't spend much time on the climbing equipment on the park next to our house. Trampoline at one house seems most popular.

Scholes34 Sun 17-Jan-16 22:24:22

We've had a large climbing frame and a trampoline. The trampoline had much more use - just about to get rid of it now after ten solid years' use. They soon got bored with the climbing frame, so that went a few years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now