Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to have beeped my horn at this couple?

(16 Posts)
bamboobeanbags Sun 17-Jan-16 11:23:33

I live and work in a ski resort and we have (finally) had a lot of snow over the past week particularly over night last night and this morning. This of course means lots of snow on the roads and pavements. Both are constantly cleared to avoid a build up but usually leaving a couple of cm snow.
As I drive through the village this morning I counted five occasions where parents were pulling their babies along the road in sledges despite there being a perfectly usable pavement either next to them or on the opposite side of the road.

On one occasion at a T junction(I was going straight on) a family were standing chatting in the road with their baby in a sledge right next to a completely cleared pavement. I had to stop (cars coming from the other direction) so I beeped at the family, pointed to the baby and then to the pavement. I received a death stare back but the family did move.

I really do think some people leave their brains behind when they go on holiday. Yes, the roads are slippery enough for a sledge... That also means it is slippy enough to make it hard for cars to stop if your baby's sledge swings out into the road or if someone walks out in front of a car forcing you to slam on your brakes.

Theonlyweighisdown Sun 17-Jan-16 11:27:52

YDNU, it's not just people on holiday. We've got snow where I live and people are walking along the roads with sledges here. True my road is very quiet anyway but will just take one car to ruin their fun/lives.

WorraLiberty Sun 17-Jan-16 11:52:35

Sorry but YABU to ask such a daft question blush

You can't seriously believe you were wrong to beep someone who was standing, chatting in the road?

UnGoogleable Sun 17-Jan-16 12:03:23

I think people forget it's an actual road when there's snow on it, and they think it's all there for them to play with.

Of course you were not unreasonable - hope nobody gets run over.

Alicewasinwonderland Sun 17-Jan-16 12:08:16

Are the pavements gritted/ salted? Around here, they are not. The pavements look clear, but they are coated in ice. I do walk on the road, it saves me from repeatedly falling down.

If it slows down the same drivers who speed through puddles and slash pedestrians when it's raining, too bad.

Lizzylou Sun 17-Jan-16 12:11:49

Yanbu, people go daft around snow.
I have just seen a man on a mini quadbike with two kids sat in front of him, none wearing helmets, hurtling up bumpy, snow filled tracks. Made me feel sick.

bamboobeanbags Sun 17-Jan-16 12:23:53

You're right.blush It was an utterly daft question! I hate beeping my horn-it always seems so agressive. Its just unbelievable how many people dont seem to thinknor care about safety when on holiday. I suppose I could change the AIBU to "would it be unreasonable to beep at every parent sledging on the road from now on?"

ShhhBeQuiet Sun 17-Jan-16 12:26:13

yanbu

I get that you have to sometimes walk in the road but sledges are difficult to control, react slowly and are low to the ground. It's safer to walk or carry a young child Or for them to be in a stroller.
I raised my DC in an country with lots of snow and ice.

The most stupid people were found walking at the bottom of big sledging hills with their backs to the hill. Not a good idea confused

lljkk Sun 17-Jan-16 12:27:00

don't you have snow tyres or chains, and a 20/30 mph speed limit?

Catphrase Sun 17-Jan-16 12:27:09

Your absolutely right, I was in Finland with work last year and the amount of families playing on the roads it was driving me potty.
Yes your on holiday and the roads were quiet and covered in beautiful snow. But it's a bloody road!!!!

FishWithABicycle Sun 17-Jan-16 12:28:05

A "cleared" pavement is likely to be much more slippery and dangerous to pedestrians than walling in the snow at the edge of the road. And if you are in the UK YWBU because the horn is only supposed to be used to alert someone to take evasive action to avoid an imminent accident, never to express your frustration or disapproval.

TokenGinger Sun 17-Jan-16 12:33:54

It drives me crazy when people walk on the roads in snow. It's hard enough controlling a vehicle on icy roads anyway, but with the added anxiety of tossers pushing prams on the road, it's horrific.

lazyarse123 Sun 17-Jan-16 12:43:04

ywnbu My son had to go out last night, and had to avoid 3 different lots of people taking photos of each other in the road, 1 of them even lying on the road. There was plenty of snow on the pavements for photo's. How bad would my son have felt if he had hit one of them, and yes he was going slowly he is a very good driver. What's wrong with people.

A "cleared" pavement is likely to be much more slippery and dangerous to pedestrians than walling in the snow at the edge of the road. And if you are in the UK YWBU because the horn is only supposed to be used to alert someone to take evasive action to avoid an imminent accident, never to express your frustration or disapproval

They weren't walking though, they were standing chatting

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 17-Jan-16 12:44:32

Am I the only person that is jealous you live in a ski resort?

Oh and no, YNBU

bamboobeanbags Sun 17-Jan-16 12:46:30

Lljkk- yes, snow tyres and a 30kph limit, but in reality I drive far slower when it is busy and snowy like today. But a heavy car will still take metres to stop on a slippery road and if a sledge suddenly swings out into the road then there may not be metres.
FishWithaBicycle- that is why I don't usually beep. But surely if a baby is sitting in a snowy road then evasive action needs to be taken- moving the baby. An accident wasn't immenent because I had stopped but I felt I needed to point out the hazard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now