Talk

Advanced search

To think people's birthing stories should not be told loudly in a crowded restaurant?

(15 Posts)
lincolnshirelassy Sat 16-Jan-16 15:00:25

I get the need to talk about it, I really do. But I really don't want to hear the woman at the next table very VERY loudly telling her friend how long her labour was and how many stitches she whilst I'm enjoying a meal with DH on a Friday night! AIBU to think birthing stories should be confined to your immediate friends and family, and then only if they've expressed an interest???

Cavaradossi Sat 16-Jan-16 15:03:53

Well, maybe she was telling her birth story to an immediate friend who asked for every last detail? Whether you're in earshot or not is a different matter.

BackforGood Sat 16-Jan-16 15:06:10

YABU to think you have some kind of veto on what other people are talking about with their companions.

YANBU to hope that other diners in a restaurant keep the volume of their conversation at a level that doesn't intrude in to yours.

WorraLiberty Sat 16-Jan-16 15:16:55

Meh! I can think of worse things to overhear.

Me and DH were in a cafe a couple of months ago and the lady on the next table, described every single detail of her gastric band operation and how it all works.

Including the fact she only shits every two days confused

Proper put me off my black pudding.

witsender Sat 16-Jan-16 15:20:56

Maybe the other guests were nearest and dearest and had asked? I can think of worse things to hear. Talking so loudly it dominates other tables is rude however, regardless of topic.

Fratelli Sat 16-Jan-16 16:13:50

Did you not speak to your dh whilst you were out?

PerspicaciaTick Sat 16-Jan-16 16:16:25

YABU, I love over hearing a good birth story. I am a right nosy caahhh!

Eminybob Sat 16-Jan-16 16:25:17

Haha this made me laugh as I went for lunch the other day with a friend I hadn't seen since having DS and she's a midwife so we spent a while discussing the details of his birth.
I did think at the time I wonder what the people on the next table thought. I did lower my voice when recounting the really gross stuff but hey ho, it was what we were talking about.

GruntledOne Sat 16-Jan-16 16:29:24

Oh, I don't know, I was having a quick coffee the other day when a woman on the next table started telling her friend her birth story and it was absolutely hilarious; I remember particularly the bit where she said her DH was still dining out on the story of his sufferings and she had to point out that she wasn't actually enjoying herself that much either. I was having the greatest difficulty trying to stop myself laughing as it would have made it so obvious that I was earwigging.

Anniegetyourgun Sat 16-Jan-16 17:14:39

I was in a restaurant with DSis once and she insisted on telling me in ringing tones all about her friend's daughter's diabetic emergency. When it got to the bit where the hospital were making a terrible hash of something to do with (excuse me if you are eating) her veins, a man sitting nearby got up and moved himself and his plate to the very furthest available table. At this point I regained control of my jaw muscles and told DSis that I did not want to hear it. No, not any of it. Even the punchline. Stop NOW. I don't even know her friend, let alone her daughter, so there's no need to tell me any of it. We Are Eating.

DSis always has had a bad case of what DM used to call "I was only going to say raw" (which I think is a quote from E. Nesbit). Volume control is also not her strong suit...

SirBoobAlot Sat 16-Jan-16 17:18:09

If you don't want to over hear other people's conversations, get a takeaway.

lincolnshirelassy Sat 16-Jan-16 18:21:42

Oh but she was LOUD and I mean REALLY LOUD, and it was told in a tone which suggested she thought it was really entertaining. Once she'd started DH and I couldn't stop earwigging, I'm sure she knew we were laughing at her but hey ho, maybe she should have reduced the volume. Her female companion seemed to be listening enthusiastically but there was a bloke with them too who looked a bit nauseous.

lincolnshirelassy Sat 16-Jan-16 18:22:45

Worra grin

eatingworms Sat 16-Jan-16 18:56:03

I love a good birth story, I'd have been eavesdropping on purpose.

MLGs Sat 16-Jan-16 18:59:24

Me to eating woms. Would be quite happy to hear it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now