Talk

Advanced search

Death in Paradise

(13 Posts)
Pinkhousealreadyinuse Fri 15-Jan-16 22:51:33

I'm unsure of the law here and whether it should have been phrased this way in the programme but I watched the first episode of the new series of Death in Paradise. In it, one of the characters is said to have had an "affair" with her teacher when she was 17. Wouldn't this make it rape or sexual assault or grooming a pupil rather than an affair?

Spoiler alert, it would have changed the dynamic of the story if it was worded that way and the teacher was female if that makes a difference?

I'm very uneasy with the word affair in this instance and feel like making a complaint. I'm unsure because I'm unsure of the law really but it doesn't sit right with me. AIBU?

pinkdelight Fri 15-Jan-16 23:49:13

Given that 16 is the age of consent (here at least, no idea what it is in show's setting) then presumably it's consensual rather than rape or a criminal act, although it's of course unprofessional and probably against the school/college rules and would be grooming if it had started younger.

Sparkletastic Fri 15-Jan-16 23:51:23

Find something real to care about

Akire Fri 15-Jan-16 23:53:05

I thought that it happens a lot in older shows where kids of 14/15 go on the game and no one mentions it's not actual a career choice!

I think given that the woman was in her 20s at least it would have been to early to be called grooming. Now of course it would be

steff13 Sat 16-Jan-16 00:03:09

Here in the US, each state has its own laws. 16 is the age of consent, so an adult can have sex with a 16-year-old, unless that adult is in a position of power. Position of power is defined as coach, teacher, parent, or guardian. In fact, it's statutory rape if the person in a position of power has sex with anyone age 18 or under.

cosytoaster Sat 16-Jan-16 00:14:22

It's illegal in the UK for an adult in a position of power, such as a teacher, to have sex with an under 18, I'm not sure if that's always been the case or if it is more recent legislation.

IfItsGoodEnough4ShirleyBassey Sat 16-Jan-16 00:22:52

In the UK it would be illegal because of the teacher/pupil angle. Is the island of Madeuponia subject to English law?

IfItsGoodEnough4ShirleyBassey Sat 16-Jan-16 00:30:49

Quick google suggests that law dates from 2001, so would have applied.

Pinkhousealreadyinuse Sat 16-Jan-16 09:27:32

I think if you've been through that situation and it gets dismissed as an affair on tv, that's not on and something that should be cared about. No need to be so rude!

I think the incident occurred in the UK in telly land.

Allbymyselfagain Sat 16-Jan-16 09:36:40

I understood it as she was a university lecturer given they were studying marine biology. In that situation the affair would be frowned upon, the lecturer would prob lose their job but I don't think it's illegal once you are in a university setting.

Pinkhousealreadyinuse Sat 16-Jan-16 09:42:14

It's not that affair, it's the one she was kicked out of school for.

Allbymyselfagain Sat 16-Jan-16 09:43:52

Ok I completely missed that bit. My bad, must have been putting the kettle or letting the dog out or something. Will rewatch

Narp Sat 16-Jan-16 09:53:43

coasytoaster is right

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now