Aibu to think my friend should not get a staff

(77 Posts)
Tamponlady Fri 15-Jan-16 20:29:22

My friend had a boxer for about 10 years she wasn't working when she got him and towards the end she became a childminder

The dog died a few months ago she has now told me she is getting a staff now she is a proper dog person and will get dog on a course and what not what i am worried about is this may effect her buniness I think a lot of people wouldn't leave there child with somone who has a staff and her house is not very big

She is so nice and a fab childminder I don't want her to loose buniness I think her current parents won't mind but this may put off new parents I think the boxer was a Diffrent kettle of fish

JohnLuther Fri 15-Jan-16 20:30:59

Staffies are not dangerous, idiot owners are.

YouBastardSockBalls Fri 15-Jan-16 20:31:50

Nothing wrong with staffies

tabulahrasa Fri 15-Jan-16 20:32:02

Some people won't, some people won't care...I'm sure she knows of the undeserved reputation they have, you'd have to live under a rock not to.

And if her house is big enough for a boxer, it's definitely big enough for a staffie, they're about a quarter of the size.

TooOldForGlitter Fri 15-Jan-16 20:32:18

I don't think people still believe the myth that staffies are dangerous do they?? I certainly don't know anyone who thinks that anymore.

Dollymixtureyumyum Fri 15-Jan-16 20:32:43

I wouldn't send my child to a childminder with a dog let alone a staffie

Dollymixtureyumyum Fri 15-Jan-16 20:34:28

I think the issue is with staffies is they are very powerful dogs and their jaw locks so trying to get it off a child would be almost impossible.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 15-Jan-16 20:37:11

Stafford are gorgeous dogs and have a terrible underserved reputation.

That said, when mine were little I wouldn't have sent them to a CM with a dog, regardless of breed.

TooOldForGlitter Fri 15-Jan-16 20:37:56

No, their jaws don't lock.

suchafuss Fri 15-Jan-16 20:39:11

No way would I send my child

Yourface Fri 15-Jan-16 20:39:23

There's no way I would send my baby/toddler to a house with a staffie.

VimFuego101 Fri 15-Jan-16 20:41:39

I think you're right to assume it may put some parents off. It depends whether she can afford to lose some potential mindees over it. Personally I would love my child to go to a CM with a (well trained, appropriately monitored) dog, since we probably won't ever be able to have one at home.

Catzpyjamas Fri 15-Jan-16 20:42:08

Staffordshire Bull Terriors used to have the nickname of Nanny Dogs as they were so good with children. However, no dog should be trusted alone with a child, ever. A properly trained and supervised Staffy is no more or less dangerous than an old, trained Boxer (and is much smaller).
Incidentally, no breed of dogs has a jaw that can lock . And any dogs can be dangerous in the hands or an irresponsible, negligent or abusive owner.

MiddleClassProblem Fri 15-Jan-16 20:42:15

Staffie lock jaws is a myth

MammaTJ Fri 15-Jan-16 20:43:47

I think that a childminder who manages a Staffie well is a good thing, as it might mean she would have more of chance of handling my DC!

I would need to talk to her, the same as any dog owner, about the dog and my DC not being left alone EVER in a room. ANY dog can turn, especially when harassed by children!

My Grans dear sweet golden spaniel bit my sister when she was winding her up. That should not have been allowed to happen, but the lovely dog was put down as a result!

That is not to say other people might not be put off though!

Trills Fri 15-Jan-16 20:44:06

Personally I would love my child to go to a CM with a (well trained, appropriately monitored) dog, since we probably won't ever be able to have one at home.

I agree with this.

I'm not really getting the impression that you know enough about her business and how it is run and the levels of demand to be able to know whether this will be a problem.

It may be that in your area there is a high demand for childminders, so having some parents put off will not be a problem as there are plenty of others willing to take the place.

honeysucklejasmine Fri 15-Jan-16 20:46:12

I have nothing against staffies. But I wouldn't use a childminder who had a dig, no matter how sweet and fluffy it was.

MiddleClassProblem Fri 15-Jan-16 20:46:16

I think some ignorant people might be put off but it's a shame because they are a wonderful breed who can be great and tolerant with children.

At the rescue centre I worked in it was sad how many people would come in and rule out staffs right away

chipsandpeas Fri 15-Jan-16 20:49:11

my friend has a staffy with 2 young kids and the dog is one of the loveliest friendliest dogs i know, more friendly than my own dog

bad dogs usually are down to bad owners not the breed

Yourface Fri 15-Jan-16 20:50:15

Incidentally I wouldn't send my child to a childminder who had a boxer either.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Fri 15-Jan-16 20:50:55

Staffs are awesome.

They have silly grins. I always grin back.

grin

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Fri 15-Jan-16 20:54:14

Personally I think if you're a dog person you won't mind; if you're not a dog person it could be any sort of dog and you wouldn't send your child anyway.

Don't worry OP.

abbsismyhero Fri 15-Jan-16 20:57:43

i wouldn't send my child to a minder with a dog as i feel its unfair to the dog the childminder cant give full attention to the children and the young dog at the same time

i also couldn't send my youngest as he is sensitive to animals he does go to a nursery with rabbits/guinea pigs but its a huge nursery and they are moved out of the room regularly and allowed minimal supervised contact even then he turns into a nose running wheezing mess on days when he has been around them a lot he is not "allergic" just a snot monster (he will hopefully grow out of this) again i feel it would be unfair to a dog to be in one sense pushed away from him as prolonged contact will cause his breathing to get worse and he will need his inhaler

superking Fri 15-Jan-16 21:03:42

I'm not sure whether or not I would to be honest, but I know that my DH would say no way.

EssentialHummus Fri 15-Jan-16 21:04:13

I grew up with boxers and I think staffies are a much better option around young kids - boxers are wonderful, but they are high-energy, obstinate, jumping creatures that need a lot of training.

I don't have children, but I expect that if I was happy that the dog was trained, placid and had its own space, I'd be fine with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now