Talk

Advanced search

To hate when small websites, blogs, etc don't declare that a link earns them money?

(5 Posts)
99percentchocolate Fri 15-Jan-16 16:37:05

Specifically, that if you buy whatever they are linking to they get a cut of the money.
I'm seeing this more and more recently and it really bugs me.

Not only have I seen it on blogs and Facebook pages (where they say, "look at this amazing deal I just found on John Lewis!" and when you click on the link you get the tell-tale "A-win1.com" redirect), but I've also seen it on mumsnet. The style and beauty section in particular is a horror for it.

I don't mind if the blogger is getting a cut, but I have a problem with them recommending something as if they're doing so because they genuinely like it, and not declaring that they will actually be earning money if you go ahead and buy. Particularly as so many people won't be aware unless they recognise the A-win tag and know what it is.

So, AIBU?

clockbuscanada Fri 15-Jan-16 16:51:11

YANBU. It always makes me think they're probably not honest in other ways, too. Like nicking photos and not crediting, not declaring their income, stealing other people's ideas...
They give us above board/by the book type small online businesses a bad name by association.

99percentchocolate Fri 15-Jan-16 16:55:21

Exactly!

TrinityForce Fri 15-Jan-16 16:56:34

I hate 'reviews' of stuff they've been given in exchange for the review / paid for.

Their opinion of it just becomes worthless.

clockbuscanada Fri 15-Jan-16 17:04:59

It only takes 2 minutes to write donated for review/paid content/affiliate link. I don't mind people doing it (who doesn't love free stuff) but not being upfront about it is Not. On.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now