Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to wonder why pasta doesn't fill my dh for long?

(53 Posts)
Squishyeyeballs Fri 15-Jan-16 12:54:19

We rarely eat pasta for dinner any more because dh complains that it doesn't fill him properly, he might eat a big plate of it and be stuffed but then hungry again an hour later. It's annoying because it's so cheap and quick to knock up with a healthy tomato and veg sauce. I suspect that his 'hunger' afterwards has something to do with a sugar crash. Is there anything I can do to bring him back onside? Will switching to wholwheat pasta help? He has a similar complaint about rice but we usually have it with a meat and veg heavy sauce so fills him a bit better.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Fri 15-Jan-16 12:57:17

Tell him to stop moaning and get a snack if he's that bothered. Or make his own dinner.

That's what I would do, anyway.

whatdoIget Fri 15-Jan-16 12:58:39

I used to have the same problem, and wholewheat pasta did help. I try to keep low carb high fat now though, which helps even more

WorraLiberty Fri 15-Jan-16 12:58:55

It's weird because I am exactly the same.

I don't overeat and I rarely snack, but if I have pasta for dinner at say 6pm, I'm reaching for a snack by about 9pm.

However, if I have a small slice of garlic bread with it, I'm fine until lunch time the next day.

I also can't drink alcohol if I have pasta without garlic bread as it goes straight to my head.

Ataraxy Fri 15-Jan-16 12:59:11

He needs meat with all the carbs he's eating to help his body know when he's full.

NeedsAsockamnesty Fri 15-Jan-16 12:59:19

Because he has conditioned himself to believe that pasta is not a proper meal and is just a snack.

Or at least this is my experance of everybody who says that who does not have medical issues and is not a power lifter

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 15-Jan-16 12:59:21

Protein.

Pasta in a tomato sauce has next to no protein.

BabyGanoush Fri 15-Jan-16 12:59:25

add protein to it (for example meat/mince in the sauce, or cheese)

Pasta with tomato and veg is a nice meal, but indeed very "light"

MamaLazarou Fri 15-Jan-16 12:59:28

Maybe because it is just filler without many nutrients. After eating pasta I never feel properly nourished, despite my belly being full.

Also, white pasta can cause a blood sugar spike, followed by a crash, in some people with volatile blood sugar levels.

TheHouseOnTheLane Fri 15-Jan-16 13:00:13

It's the lack of protein. Try adding some tuna. If it's about saving money on meat, then don't serve pasta...try lentils or mixed bean salad.

Limer Fri 15-Jan-16 13:00:35

Sugar crash from the white carbs. Wholewheat is better, also add protein such as meat/cheese to the sauce.

SmallGreenBouncyBall Fri 15-Jan-16 13:02:53

agree with wholemeal-more filling (and tasted better imo)

moopymoodle Fri 15-Jan-16 13:03:01

Because the white carbs cause a spike in blood sugars and then they dip. Creating hunger for sugar again

DisappointedOne Fri 15-Jan-16 13:05:29

Non-white carbs also cause a crash. More protein, less carbs does the trick.

toffeeboffin Fri 15-Jan-16 13:05:30

I'm the same.

Huge plate of pasta and tomato sauce and I'm starving and I mean tummy growling an hour later.

That's because it's just sugar. It needs protein and more bulk I. E. Broccoli. And it needs more fat to satiate.

He may as well eat a brownie, at least he'd have some protein!

Nothing to do with social conditioning as a PP said: it's to do with nutrition!

I bet if he ate a plate of carbonara he isn't hungry an hour later?

toffeeboffin Fri 15-Jan-16 13:07:40

You could add cream to the tomato sauce, and maybe spinach for bulk. And some chicken maybe.

dontcryitsonlyajoke Fri 15-Jan-16 13:10:44

I echo all the protein suggestions. Pasta is crap at keeping me filled up, and gives me sugar spikes/crashes so am ravenous an hour later. It's got to the point where I don't eat it any more and have gone fairly low carb as fat and protein leaves me satisfied for longer.

SmillasSenseOfSnow Fri 15-Jan-16 13:11:07

I think there's also a psychological thing of it being easy to make a giant vat of pasta, so one plate seems insubstantial. It's worse if there's more left in the pan. I don't attempt to make multiple portions anymore if I do pasta (which I mostly don't, because we're both trying to lose/control our weight, and pasta is far from conducive to this) because DP will go straight back to the pan for more if it's sitting there. As will I if he does.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Fri 15-Jan-16 13:11:43

Totally agree. I always eat carbs with protein as otherwise I'm starving a short while later.

HermioneJeanGranger Fri 15-Jan-16 13:14:53

White carbs aren't really that filling - you need to add some protein. They also cause sugar crashes - you could try wholewheat pasta?

SmallGreenBouncyBall Fri 15-Jan-16 13:15:15

red lentils are great for enriching pasta sauces.

GraceKellysLeftArm Fri 15-Jan-16 13:17:52

Because it's got very little nutritional value and redefine his body is crying out for nutrients?

I think it is a lack of protein too. I usually add tuna or pulses to a veg sauce for pasta.

timelytess Fri 15-Jan-16 13:23:24

Excuse me while I roll about laughing. You're wondering about what? Hey, its your life, who am I to complain? Are you Italian? You do know there are whole cultures where pasta isn't/wasn't eaten?

I wish you well, OP. You're entitled to want a full partner rather than an hungry one. I'm surprised you take such a close interest, but that's about me and my expectations, not about you.

If you really want to fill him up, might I suggest dumplings? www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beefstewwithdumpling_87333
But, if all you want to do is force/entice him to eat pasta, I'd recommend you give that up, and eat the nasty stuff while he's out.

Good luck.

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 15-Jan-16 13:27:10

Ummm......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now