To not want labels on my food telling me how far to run/ walk

(20 Posts)
SixtyFootDoll Fri 15-Jan-16 12:46:10

To burn it off.
We need calories to function.
I don't want my food being so bossy.

We aren't stupid. We all know how to lose weight.

lifesalongsong Fri 15-Jan-16 12:48:42

I haven't seen any food with that on but sounds like it might be helpful information.

What type of food has that on?

Artandco Fri 15-Jan-16 12:49:06

Lots of people don't though. The amount of people who would eat something and think it's a 10 min walk to wear off must be huge with the countries obesity epidemic

SixtyFootDoll Fri 15-Jan-16 12:50:36

On the news today, govt thinking of introducing it.
The traffic light system is good and informative.

TheGoldenApplesOfTheSun Fri 15-Jan-16 12:50:46

Is this a thing? Surely it can't even work as everyone has a different build, metabolism, circumstances etc.

Joolsy Fri 15-Jan-16 12:50:56

I'm with you on this one, op. Some of us don't need or want to be told. I have a balanced diet and don't need to lose weight. I also hate it when eateries (eg. Wetherspoons) put the calorie content on everything. If I go out for dinner I don't want to be thinking about the calories.

SixtyFootDoll Fri 15-Jan-16 12:51:31

Might be worthwhile on certain foods/ drinks.
But on everything it gives the message that all food is bad.

WorraLiberty Fri 15-Jan-16 12:55:40

We aren't stupid. We all know how to lose weight.

Well you'd think everyone knows how, but look at how many threads there are on a daily basis, from people asking others how they lost weight.

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they put that on the labels.

I very rarely read them anyway, except perhaps for the cooking/storage instructions.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Fri 15-Jan-16 13:00:31

Tbh, I think anything that might change our culture of eating vast amounts of crap is worth it. No, I don't personally eat rubbish, but many many people do, partly through lack of education and partly because it's just seen as so normal in our culture. We need to change.

TheGoldenApplesOfTheSun Fri 15-Jan-16 13:01:59

Seriously, how is this even supposed to work unless the packet can take a full-body scan of you? According to Live strong up to 80% of the calories used each day by our bodies are spent on basic functions like heating us up & breathing. It all depends on your resting metabolic rate, how warm you are, genetic factors... There's no way you could put anything useful on a label (unless it was in veeeeery small print I guess!)

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 15-Jan-16 13:02:08

That's a great idea, it might actually be more meaningful to people than just calories.

TheGoldenApplesOfTheSun Fri 15-Jan-16 13:02:30

www.livestrong.com/article/526014-does-your-body-burn-more-calories-if-you-are-hot-or-if-you-are-cold/

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 15-Jan-16 13:04:15

Seriously, how is this even supposed to work unless the packet can take a full-body scan of you

But its no less accurate than saying its x % of your daily calorie/fat/salt allowances. We are all different, and it will never be precise, but on a population level may be useful.

ChristmasCabbage Fri 15-Jan-16 13:04:29

I quite like the idea.

I don't need it but lots of people do and the general culture around food and obesity needs to change.

And actually I think it'd be useful for me as I know the calorie content of food but not what/how much I need to do to shed those calories even though I am relatively clued up.

WhirlwindHugs Fri 15-Jan-16 13:07:50

I think it's a terrible idea!

I can just imagine people looking at the labels and thinking they have to run/cycle for the exact amount of time specified on all the labels everyday or be obese.

It's a pretty daft to assume that average Jo will look at a label that says '20 mins running' and understand that actually, for their weight and size 17mins will be used up just walking around breathing as usual and they only need to run for 3 mins to cover the excess.

I'm reasonably good at maths but I wouldn't even know where to start.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 15-Jan-16 13:08:37

We aren't stupid . We all know how to lose weight

Partly true,
Yes everyone knows if "Calories In" exceeds "Carloies Used" then weight is gained.

But walk round any shopping centre or town centre and you will see morbidly obese people. Not just a bit of a muffin top but health harmingly obese. Walking is difficult. Breathing sometimes. The Looks from other people. the judging.

"Oh, it's Naughty But Nice"
"Oh, I'll start The Diet on Monday"
"I've had a shit day, I need something nice"
"It's cheaper to buy a McD than buy veg and chicken then cook it"

I've lost a stone and a half (yes, Go Me) but it is bloody hard going. I read the labels for ingredients not fat content or how many miles I need to run.

And before someone says I'm being sizeist or Fat Shaming or whatever ClapTrap shit is "the term used", I work for the NHS.
I see the effects of weight on joints, health and the Diabetes epidemic.

If I went up to someone and said "If you had a choice and could wake up tomorrow a size 10, would you"
How many would say "Nah, fine as I am"
Not many I'll wager.

Epilepsyhelp Fri 15-Jan-16 13:08:57

Sounds really helpful actually! If you 'don't want to be told' don't read it.

WhirlwindHugs Fri 15-Jan-16 13:09:31

I think the traffic lights and percentages are fine. If you eat one high/red light sugar thing, avoid other red light sugar things abd stuck to greeb for the rest of the day.

Lurkedforever1 Fri 15-Jan-16 13:22:41

Doesn't bother me at all. Course it won't be accurate for every person, but as long as they don't underestimate it can't do any harm. So many people are clueless about what constitutes reasonable exercise.

GraysAnalogy Fri 15-Jan-16 13:24:09

I think it's a good idea. Anything that makes people think more about what they're putting into their bodies is a good thing, especially given our obesity rates

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now