To miss my DD so much it hurts

(15 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Fri 15-Jan-16 11:18:25

and she is only at bloody school!!!!! She is in year 6 and i still can't stand dropping her at school - i will be going to work soon and wont be home until at least 8.

She has an older sister who has left home, whilst i miss her and love her the relationship isn't so intense. I think as she has got older it has just morphed into what is a normal mother/daughter relationship, she has her life (she is 25) and is happy.

So why am i sitting here thinking i just want to walk up to school and give my DD2 a hug? She has to read a poem she has memorised today and i was so proud that she learnt it really well, i'd love to watch her and be there to mouth the words if she stumbles (she is dyslexic so this is a big deal).

I don't smother her or anything, she goes to friends etc

I think its because i felt that when DD1 went to secondary school it all changed, my little girl had gone. I now feel that approaching with DD2 and im scared i'll lose her too.

MorrisZapp Fri 15-Jan-16 11:19:54

Not a good day to watch Mamma Mia then smile

TheoriginalLEM Fri 15-Jan-16 11:22:15

oh God no!!! I have to turn that bit off at the best of times - great, now im blubbing, you fucker wink

Mlb123 Fri 15-Jan-16 14:42:28

I feel the same, though my daughter is year 5. My other child is 15 and has not wanted me much since 10 and seems to dislike me a lot now, esp when he can't have his own way. My daughter is starting to pull away a bit now and I feel awful that it is all downhill from here. Hugs flowers

Andthentherewasmum Fri 15-Jan-16 15:07:47

I feel the same about my son. I'm sooooo going to be the embarrassing mother when he gets older as cuddles are my favourite thing! He's only a toddler how am I going to cope when he's a teenager!

AliceScarlett Fri 15-Jan-16 15:12:49

I'm worried I'm going to be like this, but then for me it would be a "borderline" thing, I get very attached to people, let alone a beloved own child!

Oakmaiden Fri 15-Jan-16 15:13:18

My daughter is in year 7, and has gone on a school residential trip. I won't see her til Sunday. And she didn't hug me goodbye - she just got out of the car and went!

Nishky Fri 15-Jan-16 15:16:53

oakmaiden I dropped my 12 year old off for a week long Guide camp, got a cheery wave!

Smartiepants79 Fri 15-Jan-16 15:29:35

All I can add is try and be pleased and proud that you have raised such confident and secure kids! No clinging or crying. They still love you more than anything you know!

HSMMaCM Fri 15-Jan-16 15:49:45

My DD is in year 12 and I'd still like to have her with me every day grin.

She happily goes off without me, but has recently been talking about living at home while she does uni. I'm trying to pretend it's up to her, while secretly hoping she chooses to stay home quite apart from practicalities and money.

muttonjeffmum Fri 15-Jan-16 15:56:12

It must be the day for reflection. I sat I cried this morning that my babies are growing up. They're 17 and 14 so not exactly a shock. I think it was because we went the 14 year old's option evening last night and it rammed it home how quickly they are growing.

Noeuf Fri 15-Jan-16 16:00:04

I don't want to be unkind but I'm concerned your thread title might be misleading and possible upsetting.
Although I appreciate the sentiment (can't relate to it!)

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 15-Jan-16 16:17:32

I felt the exact same way when DS2 was in Year 6. At that point he was the youngest child & I had this overwhelming feeling that he would just 'change' when he got to secondary school. He didn't.

I now have a 4 year old DD, and am fine with dropping her off at school - I'll let you know whether the same feelings return in 6 years' time!

I also take Noeuf's point. As there are very sadly too many MNers' who have lost their DCs for real, your title might attract comments other than those you were looking for IYSWIM.

SouthPole Fri 15-Jan-16 16:24:33

Noeuf I agree.

RaskolnikovsGarret Fri 15-Jan-16 16:30:26

I understand your feelings but think the thread/title could be really upsetting for those who have genuinely lost their children. Can you ask MNHQ to amend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now