Talk

Advanced search

To bring this up with the school?

(150 Posts)
Cat2014 Fri 15-Jan-16 10:21:06

ds has school dinners a couple of days a week. On those days it's his main hot meal because the evenings are v busy. He says that he is only allowed one vegetable, eg is carrots and broccoli are on offer and he says 'both please' he's told he can only have one or the other.. Shouldn't they be allowed unlimited veg at lunch time? I know it's not a massive deal but is it normal? He doesn't like a huge variety of veg so if he has the opportunity to have more than one kind I would want to snap it up!

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 15-Jan-16 10:26:30

Of course they can't have unlimited veg! How ridiculous. Unless there is someone who can magic up endless supplies of food they will rightly get a standard portion, so everyone gets their fair share.

Cat2014 Fri 15-Jan-16 10:28:27

Yes but limiting them to one kind? Can't they just give them both kinds but less of each?

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 15-Jan-16 10:29:36

And what about the kids who only like one kind? Do they only get half a portion?

StitchesInTime Fri 15-Jan-16 10:30:03

I would guess that the school kitchen only cooks enough veg for each child to get one portion (or not much more than that at any rate) so if lots of children took 2 helpings of veg, it would mean no veg at all for some children.

So YABU.

Cat2014 Fri 15-Jan-16 10:30:25

Eh? No they get more of the one kind hmm

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 15-Jan-16 10:31:12

How? By the school having an endless supply of vegetables?! hmm

Cat2014 Fri 15-Jan-16 10:31:35

It just seems a weird thing for a 'healthy' school to restrict that's all. But I take your point stitches.

Cat2014 Fri 15-Jan-16 10:32:09

No Paul. One portion of carrots or 2 half portions of each!

Baressentials Fri 15-Jan-16 10:34:32

In an ideal world yes your child could have both veg. But really, different children have hot meals on different days, have different tastes, will only eat some veg. How could the company that provide hot dinners even begin to work out the portions? Your son could be at the start of the dinner queue and get both veg, but what about poor Roger at the end of the line who gets stuck with a veg portion of something he really dislikes?

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 15-Jan-16 10:34:44

It's not feasible. You're asking for a school to effectively make too much food, so some kids can have two half portions and the fussier can have one full portion.

Anyway, your complaint was about how much your son was getting, why would two half portions be better than one full portion? It's the exact same quantity. confused

Baressentials Fri 15-Jan-16 10:36:09

Or would the school make sure each child is able to have 1 portion of each veg or 2 portions of the same veg? There would be masses of leftovers! So the company would put the price up to accommodate and then parents would moan. ~Just not realistic.

Cat2014 Fri 15-Jan-16 10:36:20

Different kinds are better than one portion of the same kind!
But I won't bring it up, I trust you all that iabu grin

Pyjamaramadrama Fri 15-Jan-16 10:36:35

Paulankadog what are you talking about? The op said he could ha e two small helpings of each veg, or one large helping of one type.

Op yanbu, it's only veg. Probably better you find a way to organise a quick evening meal as I wouldn't rely on school to fill my ds up as they also have daft rules like this.

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 15-Jan-16 10:37:49

No, the op said the school should be supplying unlimited veg. It's right there in the op. hmm

GoblinLittleOwl Fri 15-Jan-16 10:38:19

If you are so concerned, feed your child unlimited vegetables at home, despite being so busy.

starfishmummy Fri 15-Jan-16 10:38:33

Not helping much towards the five a day is it?
Perhaps if he waits there will be seconds available?

Pyjamaramadrama Fri 15-Jan-16 10:39:24

Unless the children are preordering meals though surely the school can't predict which veg the children will choose. So a half portion of each or a whole portion of one shouldn't make a difference.

ChessieFL Fri 15-Jan-16 10:39:33

Yanbu op, can't see why he couldn't have a small amount of each!

OliviaDunham Fri 15-Jan-16 10:40:46

I find this though my DCs school seem to offer Sweetcorn every bloody day - don't get me wrong, they like Sweetcorn, but nutritionally it's the worst veg out there. Also school dinner portions are tiny, so I wouldn't count them as a balanced cooked meal either.

Cat2014 Fri 15-Jan-16 10:41:03

Ok yeah sorry I didn't mean unlimited. I meant a bit of whatever was being offered. Wrong terminology.
No need to be snippy goblin, it was just a question. I do try and feed him lots of veg at home but we are busy on those evenings, so I don't think it's that bad that he just has a sandwich and fruit.

Cat2014 Fri 15-Jan-16 10:41:38

Incidentally though they do have unlimited bread.

WhirlwindHugs Fri 15-Jan-16 10:42:13

Yanbu - it wouldn't make any difference to the amount of veg required, I don't see why they can't.

Debinaround Fri 15-Jan-16 10:42:23

My DS school is the same. They can pick one vegetable and one potato dish but have unlimited salad and fruit.

As long as they are full after they have eaten their dinner then I wouldn't bother bringing it up with the school.

Cat2014 Fri 15-Jan-16 10:43:00

Thanks.
Tbh though as I said he doesn't like that many different kinds of veg, so the situation where he actually asks for both isn't likely to arise very often grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now