Talk

Advanced search

CBeebies card for 7 year old...

(48 Posts)
Whoatemyunicorn Thu 14-Jan-16 14:19:11

My ds wants one. He is 7 and I told him he is too old for this. He says they do it up to 11 but I've never seen this and gave him a suspicious look.

Before someone suggests making a card I've done this before. Its time consuming and expensive. The cards weren't shown.

AIBU to break it too him that its unlikely to happen? Ever? That he might just be too old?

halcyondays Thu 14-Jan-16 14:25:52

I think CBeebies target audience does goes up to 7, although I can't remembe r seeing a 7 year olds card read out.

DIYandEatCake Thu 14-Jan-16 14:29:03

Get him to help you make one, and try to turn it into a nice thing to do together.

2anddone Thu 14-Jan-16 14:29:32

Sorry unicorn I saw one read out the other day for a 7 year old! I was a bit wtf as I didn't think they would read out a card for someone as old as that but there it was alongside the 1,2 and 3 year olds! Maybe you could buy a CBeebies magazine and cut out pictures and stick them to a bit of card??

ApplesAndPears1234 Thu 14-Jan-16 14:30:47

Could you just pretend you sent one in, and it didn't get shown?

Hallamoo Thu 14-Jan-16 14:31:38

What a shame that you all consider 7 to be too old for CBeebies.

CallMeExhausted Thu 14-Jan-16 14:32:30

My DD is 10, developmentally delayed, and would be beside herself with excitement to see a card for her on CBeebies.

Why are you in such a rush to see him grow up?

Fourormore Thu 14-Jan-16 14:33:45

I'd just do it. What harm can it do? Think how chuffed he'd be.

Kitsandkids Thu 14-Jan-16 14:35:12

I don't think he's too old, and actually if they got one that said age 7 they'd be more likely to read it out as they won't get many for 7 year olds whereas they'll get hundreds for 3 years olds.

My nearly 8 year old son won a competition in 'Pink!' Magazine a few months ago and I'm convinced it's because they so rarely get boys entering!

hazeyjane Thu 14-Jan-16 14:39:48

I've seen them read out for older children.

WinnieTheW0rm Thu 14-Jan-16 14:41:43

"What a shame that you all consider 7 to be too old for CBeebies."

The BBC says it's pitched for 0-6 year olds.

I think they're more likely to select cards from those in their target audience than those outside it.

AnnaMarlowe Thu 14-Jan-16 14:48:19

Hallamoo why is it a shame?

My DC naturally moved onto CBBC and other things. CBeebies is specially targeted at a younger demographic.

It's a bit like saying what a shame you think your 7 yo is too old for reception class.

My DC are 8yo, their In the Night Garden days are past!

bornwithaplasticspoon Thu 14-Jan-16 15:51:54

Ch5 Milkshake do them for older ones

Janeymoo50 Thu 14-Jan-16 16:05:18

I'd do it, it might get shown it might not. It might probably be the last year he is truly bothered. I remember doing it once years ago (pre CBeebies) and sitting there glued to the TV (and taping it on vhs) with an excited 3 year old only to see the card in the background pinned up and not in the pile on the presenters knee). Never again.

hazeyjane Thu 14-Jan-16 16:14:03

Thanks to this thread I have decided to try and get ds a card shown on his birthday!

We have had a lot of cbeebies today as ds has croup, when the cards came on I asked ds if he'd like to have a birthday message, he was very keen!

There was a card for a 6 year old on there today and ds will be 6, so I'd better get making!!

attheendoftheday Thu 14-Jan-16 16:20:41

I once saw a card for a 15 year old (who clearly had downs syndrome) on cbeebies. I thought it was lovely that they treated it just like any of the others.

Op, I would send in a card if that's what he wants. It won't do any harm. In the birthday song before they show the cards they suggest ages up to 7.

Aeroflotgirl Thu 14-Jan-16 16:24:27

I think it's Fine, some of the programmes on Ceebeebies are aimed at 6+ a lot of CBBC is for a 9+ audience. Do it!

LilacSpunkMonkey Thu 14-Jan-16 16:29:12

Does the birthday song not say 5, 6, 7 or maybe more'? It certainly used to.

Children like what they like. I hate the fact that we're going 'well, BBC guidelines say up to 6 so after that they need to move on to CBBC' as if it's somehow wrong for older children to watch CBeebies.

Does anyone else remember seeing birthday messages for adults in the scrolling bit across the bottom of the screen when SMTV Live used to be on Saturday mornings?

fakenamefornow Thu 14-Jan-16 16:35:59

I think it's more unreasonable that they show cards for 1yos, they wouldn't have a clue and use up time for older children who would love to see their card.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Thu 14-Jan-16 17:22:45

CallMe I've seen cards for older children with additional/special needs on the birthday slot before, one a child in their teens. Go for it for an 11th, and just note on the back what you wrote here.

Believeitornot Thu 14-Jan-16 17:24:44

I find cbbc is actually a bit old for my 6 year old and CBeebies is mostly too young (ds does enjoy the odd show).

Who cares. If he wants one then give it a go. It doesn't have to be a massive effort.

fluffypenguinbelly Thu 14-Jan-16 17:29:43

It's hardly expensive. My DS's card cost the price of a piece of large card. I had drew everything else and coloured them in. It was amazing even if I do say so myself.

As for time consuming, well your 7 year old has said he would love one on the telly. I guess you decide whether that's worth a couple of hours of your time. I decided yes.

fluffypenguinbelly Thu 14-Jan-16 17:30:05

And postage of course.

arethereanyleftatall Thu 14-Jan-16 17:43:04

What do you mean by expensive? Is there a fee to have a card shown?

Ionacat Thu 14-Jan-16 20:59:51

No fee for a card to be shown.
Here are the guidelines, DD had hers shown last year, still have the recording! I just bought a couple of large pieces of card, and printed and drew the pictures, so not expensive.
www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/grownups/birthdays-on-cbeebies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now