Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To refuse to eat Iceland chicken

(39 Posts)
SpecialLittleLady Thu 14-Jan-16 14:06:31

I bought a bag of frozen sliced chicken because a friend said it was good for quick lunches on weight watchers. I tried it today and it is vile, it has a really odd soft consistency with almost a smooth texture. My husband would go mad if I threw out a big bag of chicken but I really don't think I can face feeding this to anyone let alone eating it myself sad

Standingonmytippytoes Thu 14-Jan-16 14:08:05

Make him eat it.

pocketsaviour Thu 14-Jan-16 14:08:37

I've had chicken like that before - I suspect it's actually chicken mince/offcuts that have been reformed. Don't think I could bring myself to chuck away a whole bag though - could you make lots of chicken soup maybe?

DreamingOfThruxtons Thu 14-Jan-16 14:09:07

I don't eat meat, so can't advise that well, but could you maybe use it in soup or something else?

sparechange Thu 14-Jan-16 14:10:10

Make shredded chicken and then the consistency won't be obvious...

KakiFruit Thu 14-Jan-16 14:10:10

He's the one with the problem, so he eats it!

noeffingidea Thu 14-Jan-16 14:10:52

I'd just disguise it in soup, risotto, stirfry, etc. Anything where it can be chopped up small and mixed up with other ingredients.

Janeymoo50 Thu 14-Jan-16 14:11:35

It's cheap so you get what you pay for but I agree with the taste of it although it makes for an OK pasta salad with crunchy veggies.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 14-Jan-16 14:13:21

Sounds vile. I'd chuck it.

RatherBeRiding Thu 14-Jan-16 14:14:29

Not unreasonable at all. Cheap meat is generally cheap for a reason - it is mass produced poor quality crap, probably bulked out with water and heaven knows what else and don't even get me started on the welfare standards.

MotherKat Thu 14-Jan-16 14:14:35

Try doing it as pulled chicken in the slowpot? should change the texture and you can batch it up so you don't have to eat all over the next couple of weeks.
(that would be the lack of muscle tone from being penned on top of the rehydration solution they pump it full of, so not worth doing to yourself op)

Dexterjamesmummy Thu 14-Jan-16 14:16:26

Throw out a portion everyday so he doesn't notice and thinks you ate it. If it's that bad don't eat it, I wouldn't.

NeuNewNouveau Thu 14-Jan-16 14:17:26

I once bought Iceland frozen chicken breast strips. They were disgusting and we threw out the rest of the bag.

YANBU at all.

MoMoTy Thu 14-Jan-16 14:20:07

Yanbu,buy cheap and you get that exact quality. Throw a bit out a day or make it only for him to eat.

MarvellousCake Thu 14-Jan-16 14:24:49

I would throw it out.

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 14-Jan-16 14:29:11

Those bags of frozen meat look putrid.

Catphrase Thu 14-Jan-16 14:32:02

I buy their breaded chicken goujons. Honestly they are the nicest I've ever had. Much much nicer than m and s or waitrose!!

That sandwich cooked meat looks grim though!

Summerisle1 Thu 14-Jan-16 14:35:28

It's cheap for a reason so not only would I not buy it, I'd also not eat it. But then I don't have a husband who dream of 'going mad' if I chose to dispose of it. Not that I like wasting food, it has to be said.

seafoodeatit Thu 14-Jan-16 14:37:15

I wouldn't eat it, I too would either only cook enough for OH or just throw it out and never buy it again.

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 14-Jan-16 14:38:45

Pass it on to a friend or neighbour with a dog who'd happily scoff the lot.

That way you get rid of it without wasting it.

LagunaBubbles Thu 14-Jan-16 14:40:11

I think the one you get in Aldi is ok.

Janeymoo50 Thu 14-Jan-16 14:42:54

Oh and Iceland Pizzas are totally yummy (and far cheaper than branded ones), especially the Italian stone baked thin ones.

IfItsGoodEnough4ShirleyBassey Thu 14-Jan-16 14:46:18

Do you have a cat?
Or a deep fat fryer to DIY KFC?

IfItsGoodEnough4ShirleyBassey Thu 14-Jan-16 14:48:01

Actually if you're doing WW then presumably you're not up for DIY KFC, but you could do it for your DH as a treat. Or keep it frozen until you visit someone with a dog.

littlemermaid80 Thu 14-Jan-16 15:40:09

I'm totally with you!! Iceland chicken is VILE. Bought a packet of chicken breasts once and couldn't believe how horrid it was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now