Talk

Advanced search

To think you wouldnt just go into M&S windows and ruin their displays

(30 Posts)
Oldsu Wed 13-Jan-16 23:10:13

or Wallis, or Debenhams, Primark or indeed any high street stores, I bet if I just asked that question everyone would say I was not BU, so why do people think they can just go into a charity shop window and totally ruin a display that I spent all afternoon doing with pride and professionalism.

I am on Holiday and am helping out at the Charity shop my DH manages, I spent all afternoon doing the windows, they are separated from the shop so its clear its not a shopping area, all the garments had tickets on the front showing make, size and price and there were three staff on the sales floor, so all people had to do was to open their mouths and say ' can I look at that jacket or can I try on that jacket please ( not even fussed about the please tbh).

But no, they think as its a charity shop they can treat the stock and the workers with total contempt, and my work as an unpaid volunteer is worthless and unimportant, as are the standards my DH sets.

I would have been very happy to take anything out, let anyone try anything on and replace and redo the window as needed, if only people would just ASK, instead of destroying my work.

TheHouseOnTheLane Wed 13-Jan-16 23:15:52

It's a window display...not a work of art. Yanbu to be upset that people are rude but yabu to get so upset about it that you're still thinking about it!

I assume an item was removed? Hardly "destroying my work" more like messing it up.

Vaginaaa Wed 13-Jan-16 23:19:18

YABU. I'm sure lots of people don't even realise charity shop windows aren't just plonked together randomly in ten minutes or so. I didn't until I read this.

suchafunnybear Wed 13-Jan-16 23:23:47

I manage a charity shop. I have no problem with people taking things out of the window. The goods are there to be sold.

There's not always someone available on the shop floor to ask if there are a lot of customers, or sometimes people are too shy to ask, or don't speak enough English to know what to say. I'd rather people just took things and they got sold rather than leaving them because they didn't like to ask or didn't want to ruin the display.

If people don't take things out of the display then I know it can't be very good because no one wants to buy any of it.

Gobbolino6 Wed 13-Jan-16 23:24:06

YABU. In a chain store, there is more than one of each item. In a charity shop, you sell multiple things from the window each day...people come in especially for them. There's no point being precious about the display, which takes minutes to tidy anyway.

Oldsu Wed 13-Jan-16 23:30:02

I am happy for people to want to buy anything but not take a jacket off a model and leave it draped over the models head or move a display of bric a brac so two pieces break and don't even tell someone they have done it, I would understand if they needed to see what size the garments are or the make or the price that's why I put labels on all the garment giving the information, so that a size 14 lady knows the jacket is a size 10 (and if she wants to try it on she can just ask).

musicposy Wed 13-Jan-16 23:42:45

I'd look at it differently. If the minute you've done the display people are all wanting to try on or take a closer look at the stuff then you're obviously doing that job really well!

TheTigerIsOut Wed 13-Jan-16 23:42:58

Windows are not destroyed in high street stores because people just need to look for a rail with identical clothes inside the stores. Charity shops's articles are one of... You turn around to ask for help and somebody takes it before you come back to it.

I think yo are being a bit precious, but if they totally ruined the display, like leaving everything on the floor, rather than taking an article or two from it, I may agree with you

nextusername Thu 14-Jan-16 00:12:20

YANBU. Maybe you could have a notice that says "We love it when you'd like to buy something from the window. Please ask and we'll bring it for you"

Hygge Thu 14-Jan-16 00:25:23

I agree that people should ask.

But the difference between high street shops and charity shops is that you often only have that particular one thing, and high street shops have hundreds of identical things to the one in the window.

I find my local charity shop frustrating for this sometimes, they have 'not for sale' stuck on all the best stuff. If it's been donated to the shop, it should be available to buy.

littlemermaid80 Thu 14-Jan-16 08:14:06

YABU

It's annoying but part of the job

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 14-Jan-16 08:19:11

Customers should ask first before taking something from the dummies or display.

londonrach Thu 14-Jan-16 08:22:11

Yabu. Surely the idea is to sell the items for charity.

Owllady Thu 14-Jan-16 08:25:44

It happens in every shop, not just charity shops. The only place it doesn't happen is in Windows that aren't locked (used to work in visual merchandising)

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 14-Jan-16 08:27:46

You are very pissed off that 'your work' isn't being appreciated and is being 'destroyed'.

You are completely overthinking this, it's not even your job, you're on holiday and helping out.

ASmallHenInItsLateForties Thu 14-Jan-16 08:28:20

Yanbu at all! It's polite to ask rather than to drag it out of a display.

Also it's a safety thing too sometimes. If someone pulled something over and got hurt they'd be complaining no doubt.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Thu 14-Jan-16 08:39:31

I think people do have a different mindset when shopping in charity shops. They think that everything is cheap (it's not anymore) and it's the equivalent of a car boot sale. So it doesn't surprise me that your window display got trashed.

I think signs are definitely the way forward and just try not to get too precious about your work. Most people walk into charity shops because they can't afford to shop in mainstream shops, not because of what is displayed in the window.

Marcipex Thu 14-Jan-16 09:01:29

You did a great window, people wanted to buy.

The hospice shop in Plymouth has 'not for sale' stickers on some items too. Why? It's very annoying. There was a picture DH wanted to buy, a black and white photo, we tried four times over two years....nope. It's not for sale.

Jux Thu 14-Jan-16 09:10:49

You need to block the way into the window display area with fittings or furniture so that people have to ask if they want to see something.

If it's easy to get to the window display, then people will touch it and fiddle with it. Make it harder to get to and they can't.

nextusername Thu 14-Jan-16 09:11:37

> You are completely overthinking this, it's not even your job, you're on holiday and helping out.

The OP has still put her own time and effort into it though. She's not even getting paid for it. So that would argue for at least as much respect for her work.

fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Thu 14-Jan-16 09:15:14

YABVU The difference is that the displays are of goods that are in the shop, rather than a display of goods that are for sale. I think you need to do an art course, as this outlet for your volunteering just isn't right for you.

TheHouseOnTheLane Thu 14-Jan-16 09:28:47

Also I think some people are put off asking because many volunteers are elderly...I know I've thought twice about it because I don't want to make people climb into places where they can't easily manage.

Owllady Thu 14-Jan-16 09:29:59

People alter the clothes on mannequins in big department stores, especially in the lingerie section
I think I'll leave it at that!
People pull their fingers off too and have photos taken with them tries to keep thread clean

Lweji Thu 14-Jan-16 09:36:54

I understand that you're more upset that they didn't ask, so the window items would be safe and you could put them back as they were.
But, conversely, they may not have asked because they know you're not there or paid to serve them.

Instead of getting miffed about it, why don't you put a sign saying to ask the volunteers/staff first and keep an eye on people who head that way and offer to help them?

pictish Thu 14-Jan-16 09:42:10

No...come on. You are being precious about your window display. It's not an installation. The stuff there is for sale and there is only one of each item, so people have the liberty of picking it up, trying it on and then discarding it where they like.
You're being silly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now