Talk

Advanced search

aibu RE wearing shorts in a swimming pool

(70 Posts)
SaggingTits Wed 13-Jan-16 20:22:28

Twice I have been asked in our local leisure centre to remove my shorts when I've been spotted wearing them in the pool. The first time they 'let me off' because I was pregnant. The second time I had to take them off.

We're going swimming this weekend so aibu to wear them and refuse to take them off? Surely it's not that much of a hazard? Plenty of men wear shorts swimming. I asked the reasoning behind this policy and apparently it's incase they have to rescue you from the pool for whatever reason. I have sensitive skin and can't shave before going in chlorine or I get an awful rash and have been cursed with thick black pubic hair that grows onto the top of my thighs so really self conscious without shorts.

Hulababy Wed 13-Jan-16 20:24:05

Are they proper swim shorts?

Mermaid36 Wed 13-Jan-16 20:25:11

YANBU - if men cam wear shorts, why can't women??

I have a legsuit to swim in....basically a swimming costume with longer legs....sort of cycling shorts....They come half way down my thighs, so no need to sort my bikini line out...

toboldlygo Wed 13-Jan-16 20:25:39

Can you buy a legsuit/boyleg swimsuit instead?

lucymootoo Wed 13-Jan-16 20:26:03

YANBU if they are proper swimming shorts.

TheCatsMeow Wed 13-Jan-16 20:26:09

YANBU why would it even be an issue

fastdaytears Wed 13-Jan-16 20:26:42

Well men don't generally wear normal shorts for swimming do they?

There are swim shorts with more coverage that you could try to avoid another argument.

user7755 Wed 13-Jan-16 20:26:53

My ds goes swimming with school and isn't allowed to wear long swimming shorts. I never realised that it was for safety reasons never really thought about it

sourpickledqueen Wed 13-Jan-16 20:27:05

YANBU but have you tried a legsuit?

GloGirl Wed 13-Jan-16 20:27:16

YANBU! What is their problem?

Vaginaaa Wed 13-Jan-16 20:28:39

YANBU. Get mens swim shorts for next time.

TaintedAngel Wed 13-Jan-16 20:29:22

I would think as long as they are suitable swim shorts they should be fine. I would speak to the manager if a big deal was made of it.

I too am very self concious for the same reason as you, plus im a very overweight, so i invested in a few swim dresses that cover the top of my thighs and they have been life savers for me.

IfItsGoodEnough4ShirleyBassey Wed 13-Jan-16 20:31:28

If they're swimming shorts exactly like the men are wearing then YANBU. If they're not for swimming in then YABU. Sports Direct used to do good cheap long leg cossies.

FlatOnTheHill Wed 13-Jan-16 20:31:59

Yanbu. Men wear swim shorts so why cant women. Are they proper ladies swim shorts?

SaggingTits Wed 13-Jan-16 20:42:05

They are my partners men's swim shorts. They aren't long, halfway between the tops of thighs and top of knees. Never heard of swim dresses or legsuits. Will have a look and hopefully be able to get one before I go smile

Brewdolph Wed 13-Jan-16 20:45:13

I wear board shorts when I have to swim. I haven't had an issue yet and to be frank I would tell them to do one if anyone had a problem with them.

If you are wearing proper swim shorts, which you are. Tell them to jog on.

NHSisfubar Wed 13-Jan-16 20:47:07

Go on some triathlon sites; they will sell tri shorts which are really comfy, swimsuit fabric and cover everything down to just above knee if you fancy. I think Speedo do some plain swim shorts too. Just don't buy ones with a really bulky bike pad!

fastdaytears Wed 13-Jan-16 20:48:09

I find these swim skirt style things good for when the waxing is not looking great. I prefer the sort of ruched shaped ones but can't find a pic.

Note, this is not my stomach in the photo

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Wed 13-Jan-16 20:48:55

I take guides swimming a few times a year and have had a few wear shorts, I never question them as to why but certainly would've questioned anyone who said they shouldn't wear them.

Yanbu

specialsubject Wed 13-Jan-16 20:49:28

legsuits; sports direct sell a cheapie. Not only do they hide the normal female hair pattern, they don't disappear up your bum either.

also look much better on those of us non-thin legs.

BombadierFritz Wed 13-Jan-16 20:50:23

Just tell them you identify as a man grin

Vaginaaa Wed 13-Jan-16 20:50:57

I'd contact the manager and query this if you were already wearing swim shorts. Why should women have to wear fanny grazing swim clothes while men can wear shorts?

Osmiornica Wed 13-Jan-16 20:52:22

That's ridiculous. So they're the same sort of shorts a man would wear. What makes them less safe by you wearing them? Do they just leave the men to drown (unless they're wearing speedos of course).

I wouldn't buy anything new just carry on. If they complain then tell them they have to ask everyone (inc the men) wearing swim shorts to swap to skin tight swimsuits.

GruntledOne Wed 13-Jan-16 20:52:48

How on earth would you wearing shorts affect their ability to rescue you from the pool if you needed it?

nextusername Wed 13-Jan-16 20:52:53

Legsuits

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now