Talk

Advanced search

Antisocial Neighbours

(28 Posts)
RedBlu Wed 13-Jan-16 11:04:34

I live on a nice new build estate, which as is usual now, comes with a percentage of HA/Social Housing. I have no issue with this, I lived in a HA flat before we bought our house, but I have completely had enough with the behaviour of some of the tenants of the HA/Social Housing nearby.

Recently, was the last straw when some of the tenants were fighting in the street, screaming, swearing, threatening each other, etc. The police were called (not by me) and I don’t know what happened after that. I am fed up of their behaviour, whilst they live far enough from me not to cause too much of a nuisance, they seem to be the type that when they have a fight/disagreement/argument, etc it has to be done outside so everyone can see and hear what is going on. The area itself is really nice and quiet, apart from these people.

Does anyone know if the police are called to tenants to who live in a HA/Social/Council house, are their landlords informed? If not, would it be unreasonable to inform their HA of what has happened, that the police were called, etc?

They just seem to have no respect for anyone else living near them, they think nothing of having screaming matches in the early hours of the morning and I want it to stop.

specialsubject Wed 13-Jan-16 11:19:42

hope you've got your flameproof knickers on...

but people who live in rented accommodation of any sort can be evicted if they are really anti-social. Takes a long time and of course they will end up somewhere else. Not sure if the police will contact the HA/council, that may need to be a separate complaint.

be grateful they don't own their houses.

RoaringForties Wed 13-Jan-16 11:24:35

I have neighbours much as you describe, they own their house, drive new cars and behave like animals.
It's people being horrible, nothing to do people being council housing tenants

WMittens Wed 13-Jan-16 11:50:45

It's people being horrible, nothing to do people being council housing tenants

I don't think the OP claimed there was any causal link between HA tenants and behaviour, just that these HA tenants are displaying the stated behaviour.

GoblinLittleOwl Wed 13-Jan-16 11:54:06

There is a new road very much like your area near where I live, with a similar situation. One of the tenants, a young mother, was evicted because of her behaviour; she changed houses with her mother, (also notorious but with more sense of how to behave) and went back to where she grew up.

So keep complaining, it can be effective. You should not have to tolerate this behaviour, and it will affect the price of your property.

RedBlu Wed 13-Jan-16 12:08:23

................. As I mentioned in my original post, this is not the fact they are HA tenants, its the fact they are anti-social! I lived in a HA flat for years before we bought our house and my parents live in a HA house so I have nothing against HA tenants! Is that clear?

The only bit that makes the fact they are HA tenants relevant, is whether or not the police would inform the HA of what is going on.

Seriously, people need to read before making comments. I am well aware that any type of person, in any housing situation, etc can be antisocial!

SweetieDrops Wed 13-Jan-16 13:18:04

You can contact the housing association directly and make a complaint to their housing officer about their behaviour, I've had to do this in the past and the culprits were given a warning about being in breach of their tenancy agreement.

Fratelli Wed 13-Jan-16 15:26:43

How do you know they're ha tenants? Or are they put into a separate area?

juliascurr Wed 13-Jan-16 15:33:29

local council environmental health departments handle this type of problem

good luck

MatildaTheCat Wed 13-Jan-16 15:40:42

I don't think the Police would automatically inform the HA but no reason why you shouldn't if they are causing problems and disturbance.

x2boys Wed 13-Jan-16 15:44:31

Can you not inform the HA? I live in a housing association and when I phone them to report a repair etc it gives me an option of reporting antisocial behaviour.

starfishmummy Wed 13-Jan-16 15:48:40

But being HA residents is relevant isn't it? Be honest. You want to complain and get them moved on.

If they were owners you wouldn't have started the thread because there wouldn't be anything you could do.

Boxymcloxy1900 Wed 13-Jan-16 15:49:41

It's obvious on a new build estate who's in ha accommodation. It's on the plans.

RedBlu Wed 13-Jan-16 15:50:06

I know whey are HA tenants as the HA properties are colour coded on the site plan. Plus we were told they were HA when we moved in.

I have spoken to the HA now and they have passed the information to the housing officer for that area. Not sure what they will do, if anything.

Palomb Wed 13-Jan-16 15:50:39

If your local ha has a community safety team you could try that?

RedBlu Wed 13-Jan-16 15:52:04

starfishmummy, yes I want THEM moved on because they are anti social morons! Again, you can think what you like but considering I lived in a HA flat, my parents live in a HA house and I chose to buy a house next to HA properties because I DONT CARE if they are HA or not, but whatever you clearly have a chip on your shoulder and assume I am out against all HA tenants

RedBlu Wed 13-Jan-16 15:53:07

Oh and if they were owners I would be complaining to the relevant authorities. No one should get away with behaviour like this, irregardless if they are HA or owners

Boxymcloxy1900 Wed 13-Jan-16 16:10:31

I can totally see the relevance of knowing they're ha tenants. The op is looking for any avenues for a resolution.

expatinscotland Wed 13-Jan-16 16:13:42

No, the police won't tell the landlords. Report them.

merrymouse Wed 13-Jan-16 16:15:22

You want to complain and get them moved on.

That wasn't the impression I got - It's not as though the op can get the ha properties moved off the estate!

Flatsfromnowon Wed 13-Jan-16 16:43:03

Jeez, I just do not get some posters - what is wrong with wanting to live somewhere without anti-social behaviour?

I'm with you RedBlu - similar situation in that we are shared owners in a mix of HA renters and shared owners. Nothing new to me either, I was previously a shared owner in a one bed with the same type of housing mix and grew up on a London council estate. All good and never experienced anything anti-social.

Our new neighbours are drug users. If I had of known I would not have moved here. We have been woken by arrests in the early hours, been asked for money on numerous occasions, constant arguing, people coming and going creating lots of noise and are constantly subjected to the smell of heroin or skunk in the shared hallway. In addition one of them self harms and does not get her wounds treated which means that there is a risk of picking up an infection as we all have to use the same entry and exit door.

I feel like a terrible parent for moving my DC into this type of environment but as before I have never experienced anything like this and this social housing mix is what I am familiar with.

Ideally I would like these neighbours to be rehoused somewhere else - two drug addicts have no place in an environment made up of families but I appreciate it is unlikely this will happen.

So I will move, but will need to save up my fees for selling and buying before that is an option, meanwhile these neighbours carry on without a care in the world.

The HA has been as much use as a chocolate teapot so far, so OP, I wish you all the best; expect lots of form filling ;)

WMittens Wed 13-Jan-16 16:46:59

If they were owners you wouldn't have started the thread because there wouldn't be anything you could do.

There is - ASBOs. How effective they are is maybe a separate debate.

x2boys Wed 13-Jan-16 16:51:17

I m in housing association too starfish and in wouldn't like to live next door to antisocial neighbours either and I would report too who would ?

starfishmummy Wed 13-Jan-16 17:34:35

No one is denying that living with antisovial neighbours is horrible.
They have already been reported to the police.
The op says that them being HA is not relevant yet as soon as there was trouble she has gone to the HA rather than making a police report. She obviously thinks the HA can do something the police can't.

merrymouse Wed 13-Jan-16 17:41:48

The police had already been called.

The HA can do something the police can't - evict them if they have broken the terms of their tenancy agreement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now