Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why Mathew Wright is so rude to people who phone in?

(38 Posts)
hollowlegs Wed 13-Jan-16 11:02:29

He constantly interrupts callers when they're in the middle of trying to say something.
I've noticed he does it more when the caller's views don't gel with his own.
It's very unprofessional.

angelos02 Wed 13-Jan-16 11:04:50

YANBU. Although I am more irritated by people that phone in and start with 'Hello Matthew, hello panel, I love your show...'. Just get to the point will yah.

hollowlegs Wed 13-Jan-16 11:08:49

true angelo.Theres only a certain amount of time so why waste it on ''I love the show etc''

Re the phone-ins. The whole point of a phone in is to be able to mainly listen to the views of the person who is phoning in, not his.
So why not let them have their say?

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Wed 13-Jan-16 11:11:40

All to do with his ego I would imagine.

He hates it when people with opposing views to his make a good point.

hollowlegs Wed 13-Jan-16 11:17:37

The only time I agree with him being interrupting and rude is if the caller has come out with something offensive and he needs to cut them off quick.

But otherwise, let the person speak. Even if he finds it boring or it doesn't match his own views, maybe the viewers would actually like to listen to what the caller has to say. Fully.

As you say, it's probably ego related.

CarbonEmittingPenguin Wed 13-Jan-16 11:19:00

I was about to start a thread on the Wright Stuff so very apt timing hollow. I always watch it but I agree he's got an ego that defies gravity. He can be very condescending but dresses it up as being 'witty'.

But I also think some callers just talk nonsense so need to be hurried along tbh. Someone on his research team is clearly a MNetter or stalks this site as I've lost count of the number of times a thread here later becomes a discussion topic on his show.

CarbonEmittingPenguin Wed 13-Jan-16 11:21:36

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Just wanted to thank you for sharing your story. Sorry to derail the thread but reading what you've been through and seeing you around the various boards offering advice and insight has really helped me through some dark times. Sorry for derailing thread.

hollowlegs Wed 13-Jan-16 11:27:23

He cut a caller dead today and she had something interesting to say.
But just because he obviously thought it was a bit woo woo (and he wanted to dominate the conversation) she was cut off mid sentence
This has happened loads of times. He does it as well when political views don't match his own.

I like the show otherwise.

TattyDevine Wed 13-Jan-16 11:33:13

He has good days and bad days, sometimes he is just dreadful, cutting everyone off, sneering and shouting at callers, other days he has his proper journalist hat on and presents balanced views.

Richard Madeley was hosting last week and earlier this week and it was a much calmer show to watch without losing any of the substance. Richard is a wonderful journalist though.

Katedotness1963 Wed 13-Jan-16 12:12:05

He's so rude! I haven't watched in months as I just couldn't stand it anymore. The constant slagging off of mothers and kids is beyond boring now, yes, we get it, you hate kids and you hate "breeders" gonna stfu about it now?!

SonyaAtTheSamovar Wed 13-Jan-16 12:16:16

H e seems to despise a lot of people.

SonyaAtTheSamovar Wed 13-Jan-16 12:17:47

Please note I have only stumbled upon him by accident whilst searching for Jeremy Kyle. wink

TheHiphopopotamus Wed 13-Jan-16 12:19:11

YANBU

I don't know why they bother with the phone in tbh, he only wants to hear people with the same views as himself and he's got a lot worse.

Agree about Richard Madeley. Much prefer him to MW.

CrossfireHurricane Wed 13-Jan-16 12:21:10

I used to enjoy watching his show but got very pissed off with the rude way he spoke to people who called in.
Homes under the Hammer is my day off treat now

Hihohoho1 Wed 13-Jan-16 12:22:04

Because he's an annoying knob.

HelpfulChap Wed 13-Jan-16 12:24:35

I watched it occasionally until he went on IACGMOOH. Now i can't stand the bloke.

BertieBotts Wed 13-Jan-16 12:31:44

Cos he wants to be Jeremy Kyle, and arguments make good telly, or something like that.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Wed 13-Jan-16 12:46:44

Carbon thank you, that is a really lovely thing to say flowers

hollowlegs Wed 13-Jan-16 14:03:55

See I'm not the only one who thinks this.

araiba Wed 13-Jan-16 14:16:55

if you actually call in to his show, it is quite likely you haven't got much worthwhile to say anyway

TheSecondViola Wed 13-Jan-16 15:13:41

I think its because they are mostly total idiots who talk utter twattery.
If they weren't they wouldn't be ringing in to him in the first place.

Sparklingbrook Wed 13-Jan-16 15:28:10

The callers aren't very articulate a lot of the time are they? For people all keen calling to say something they can't seem to actually put a sentence together once they are on air.

QueenLaBeefah Wed 13-Jan-16 15:31:14

Is this still on the TV?

Sparklingbrook Wed 13-Jan-16 15:32:40

It was on the other day and Matthew Wright had turned into Richard Madeley. shock

Whoknewitcouldbeso Wed 13-Jan-16 15:39:48

I rarely watch it but the one time I did in recent months he did exactly what you describe and I was incensed. So bloody rude and completely unnecessary. Why the hell let the people come through in min the lines on the first place if you're just going to cut then off mid sentence? Can't abide the twat to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now