Talk

Advanced search

To feel like a horrible witch re: Bowie? [lightheartedish]

(30 Posts)
furryblanket Tue 12-Jan-16 22:06:01

So on Saturday I was watching some standard weekend telly (I think it was Saturday kitchen) and they mentioned that David Bowie had just turned 69 and the following went through my head:
'God, that's really old. I still fancy him I think. It was the Labyrinth that did it. I wonder if he'll die? Surely Bowie won't ever die?' I thought of him a few more times throughout the weekend and dreamt about The Man Who Went To Earth on Sunday night.
And then the first thing I heard on my alarm radio on Monday morning (literally the first thing - it came on mid news) that he'd died. I got a real chill. And now I feel awful! Although I know that it can't actually possibly be anything to do with me, it's still odd.

breezydoesit Tue 12-Jan-16 22:42:16

OP you are a witch!! grin just kidding! I can tell why you're freaked out though! shock

PuntasticUsername Tue 12-Jan-16 22:44:25

Can understand it feels odd, but you know it's more selection bias than witchcraft, right? How many times have you had similar thoughts and the person you've been thinking about mysteriously hasn't died?

Ps I still fancy him in that film too...

furryblanket Tue 12-Jan-16 23:15:10

[b]puntastic[/b] I agree but I did once curse my mum. I'd planned to go for a meal with my boyfriend the same day she'd arranged to take my sister ice skating - I'd been desperate to go and bf was too scared (we were about 17, that's my only excuse for dating a guy who was scared of ice).
Anyway, I was playing 'put out elder daughter' (all in jest, I might add) and as we left for the meal I said 'I hope you break your arm!' everyone laughed. She called me 2 hours later from the hospital. I thought it was a wind up initially confused

ExitPursuedByABear Tue 12-Jan-16 23:18:00

I too randomly thought of Labyrinth on Sunday evening.

And I've never seen it.

TheSecondViola Tue 12-Jan-16 23:39:08

I think the average age to grow out if this kind of magical thinking is about 10.

ExitPursuedByABear Tue 12-Jan-16 23:40:24

hmm

furryblanket Tue 12-Jan-16 23:54:16

[b]viola[/b] I'm tthe 75th percentile. And what

furryblanket Tue 12-Jan-16 23:55:25

forgot that MN doesn't use normal BB code. awkward

liz70 Wed 13-Jan-16 00:01:00

'I think the average age to grow out if this kind of magical thinking is about 10.'

Yes, the end of childhood is also when most people lose the ability to sense spirit.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Wed 13-Jan-16 00:01:40

My friend teases me about the times I 'killed' Mother Theresa and the Queen mum.

I had a conversation about them (at separate times) and the day after they died.

furryblanket Wed 13-Jan-16 00:43:30

Until imagine the chaos we could cause between us... I'll take Cameron tonight

furryblanket Wed 13-Jan-16 00:44:23

liz70 thanks flowers

TiredButFineODFOJ Wed 13-Jan-16 00:55:14

Witch.
I saw the trailer video for Blackstar (not the Lazarus vid) the other week and thought "is he doing a Johnny Cash with this?"
I think it was the covering his eyes with buttons that did it. Or I'm a witch.

UnderCrackers5 Wed 13-Jan-16 00:59:15

Witchy witching
I'm frothing over John Travolta tonight. bye John

liz70 Wed 13-Jan-16 01:02:36

"I'm frothing over John Travolta tonight."

John, I'm only dancing...

SeoulSista Wed 13-Jan-16 01:06:54

I sorta know what you mean. Do you remember the thread last week about which pensioners you would git jiggy wiv, and David Bowie had a few mentions (although not as many as the divine Harrison Ford). I was so tempted to post along the lines of "Bet David Bowie is off your list now!"

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 13-Jan-16 01:09:00

furry - if you could think about DC, IDS, GO and JH tonight, imagining all sorts of things, that would be really cool! <fingers crossed>

fidel1ne Wed 13-Jan-16 01:24:46

75th %ile of WHAT? <silently speculates>

YABU to say any of this out loud/ type it TBH.

Jasonandyawegunorts Wed 13-Jan-16 01:48:22

I saw the video for black star and Lazarus and said to my brother, who is a big Bowie fan "it's just weird of the sake of being weird, Major Toms skull being worshipped and him being mummified in bed."

Well it certainly wasn't weird for the sake of it because it makes sense now.

7Days Wed 13-Jan-16 01:51:55

It's time to use your powers for good not evil OP. Now those ISIS lads are not playing nice, maybe focus your attention on them....?

redexpat Wed 13-Jan-16 08:29:12

Kirsty MacColl died the day after we had a discussion about her in the pub.

When I was a Guide, I said to my Mum that I'd never fainted, then my friend fainted at Church parade the day after.

Can I join your coven?

liz70 Wed 13-Jan-16 09:20:44

"It's time to use your powers for good not evil OP. Now those ISIS lads are not playing nice, maybe focus your attention on them....?"

Ah, but this isn't about making people die just by thinking about them though, just having a premonition of what is going to happen anyway. Nice suggestion, though. smile

kissmethere Wed 13-Jan-16 10:40:08

Eldest dc was asking me all about David Bowie o. Saturday evening and I was telling them
I only really remember him from his 80's onwards (I was too young for ziggy stardust). Then on Monday morning we heard the news.

senua Wed 13-Jan-16 10:47:19

David Bowie released BlackStar on his birthday so there was lots of talk in the media about him and you picked up on it.
He had been ill for some time. He obviously did that thing - which lots of people do - where he 'hung on' for a big event - eg waiting for relatives to fly in from somewhere distant to be at the bedside - before letting go.

Nothing woo about it at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now