Talk

Advanced search

AIBU Re Vets?

(18 Posts)
stayathomegardener Tue 12-Jan-16 22:01:29

Took DD (Darling Dog) to the vets last week as his back legs seemed to be causing him discomfort, he had a steroid injection and is being treated for suspected arthritis, Vet said it will most likely flare up from time to time and he can have more injections,there was talk of swimming therapy...
The Vet made an appointment to see him in a weeks time.

As far as I am concerned DD is now "fine", no discomfort, running around like normal. He is 10, it quite likely is arthritis but would I be unreasonable to cancel the appointment on the basis I know my own dog best, it seems a bit of a money spinner and he hates the Vets?
It seems our two local Vets now both make follow up appointments as routine.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 12-Jan-16 22:10:45

I think it would be perfectly fine for you not to take the dog back, you can always go back if the symptoms come back.

I think its a difficult call for the vet to make, if the vet were to just give you an injection and send you on your way, you might feel short-changed.

Maybe look into some gluscosamine supplements for his food

stayathomegardener Tue 12-Jan-16 22:15:57

I just feel unreasonably guilty LEM.
Hi this is DD's owner, can we cancel his follow up sounds so uncaring wink
Will look at the supplements and possible dose DH at the same time.

missymayhemsmum Tue 12-Jan-16 22:16:20

Yes, but once the initial flare up is over the vet may be able to suggest a long term treatment to control it. My old cat with dodgy back legs had anti-inflammatory drops which is probably cheaper and less upsetting for an animal than periodic steroid injections.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 12-Jan-16 22:19:38

I work in a vets - i would just say, Thats great, please feel free to give us a call if you need any help. Some vets can be pushier than others when suggesting treatment options. wink

Topseyt Tue 12-Jan-16 22:19:45

If you don't believe your dog needs the appointment then yes, cancel it.

You wouldn't go to your GP just for the hell of it, so why should your dog visit the vet for no clear reason.

stayathomegardener Tue 12-Jan-16 22:24:14

It's not the money Missy, we have insurance.
Good idea re possibility of drops we could administer in future, DD didn't flinch from the injection but had to be muzzled before being approached to prevent him biting the vet. And DD is not a bitey dog.

SalemSaberhagen Tue 12-Jan-16 22:26:57

YANBU to cancel the appointment.

YABU to use the acronym DD for a dog though. Where will this end?! Dhamster? Dpotplant?

stayathomegardener Tue 12-Jan-16 22:27:11

Change in policy I think for our Vet LEM.

asilverraindrop Tue 12-Jan-16 22:29:24

I'm a vet, and I think most vets would have made arrangements for a second visit in this situation, because if your dog hadn't improved it would have been useful to discuss further options. In this sort of situation it is very common for owners to cancel and nobody will bat an eyelid. If you came back in to see me in this scenario, I would just have a quick chat for a couple of minutes, not charge, and put it down to good customer relations, but I wouldn't be at all bothered if you didn't, and would just reckon that you'd come back if things relapse.
I would feel differently if I had arranged a second appointment to see if antibiotic treatment for a skin or ear infection had worked, because one cause of antibiotic resistance is too short a course, which subdues without resolving the infection, and owners can often find it hard to judge when an infection has totally cleared up, especially with ears. In that case, it's really irritating when the client cancels and then comes back after all a couple of weeks later to say the dog's no better, by which time the vet doesn't know whether the treatment worked partially or not at alll, and the bacteria have had a chance to develop resistance. However, as this is nothing like your situation, don't worry, and hopefully DDog will stay healthy!

stayathomegardener Tue 12-Jan-16 22:29:31

Well no clearly Salen darling hamster would be DH wink

SparePantsAndLego Tue 12-Jan-16 22:30:05

Definitely cancel and look into Yumove and Joint Aid supplements. We use both for our girl who has a limp due to two untreated breaks before she was rescued, limp has improved no end.

Clobbered Tue 12-Jan-16 22:32:48

Cancel the appointment, and make another one as and when you feel DD needs it. Some of the vets and the practice where I take my cats are ridiculously keen to investigate and over-treat. Others far more pragmatic and sensible. Your dog, your call!

stayathomegardener Tue 12-Jan-16 22:36:56

Thanks silver for insight and spare for product name.
Should just remind you this is AIBU, feels quite peculiar to see such helpful and thoughtful responses.
Slinks off for bunfight elsewhere.

stayathomegardener Tue 12-Jan-16 22:38:33

I will cancel tomorrow.
Although am tempted to dive in with a request for swimming therapy. DDog would love that.

gobbynorthernbird Tue 12-Jan-16 22:52:08

I'm in two minds about this, as maybe DD is fine because of the injection. Certainly keep an open mind as to going back if necessary.

And I second the joint aid recommendation, it has worked wonders for our DD.

Yseulte Tue 12-Jan-16 22:56:52

Swimming therapy sounds great.

Fwiw my cat had arthritis in her back legs and she couldn't take steroids as she had diabetes.

I took a punt on acupuncture expecting nothing, but my God what a difference it made. She started springing about like she hadn't in years. Helped the diabetes too.

cate16 Tue 12-Jan-16 22:57:16

At our vets (small practice) follow-up appointments are free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now