Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think im being investigated for benefit fraud

(22 Posts)
jessicaquestions Tue 12-Jan-16 12:38:42

i have been on ESA for 2 years and within these years i had a check from the jobcentre to "check im getting the right benefits" December 2014.
this was in my last property.
I have moved and had a woman from housing benefit turn up at my door for the same thing, showed her my bank statements, ID ect.
Maybe im just unlucky or they are investigating me?

Im not committing benefit fraud just so you know, im just wondering if im being reported as if i am i know who it will be.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 12-Jan-16 12:41:36

I wouldn't have shown my bank statements at the door.

That sounds weird.

Tomboyinatutu Tue 12-Jan-16 12:48:52

I didn't k ow they were allowed to turn up at your door? I know someone who was investigated for benefit fraud and the meetings took part in an office, not at their home. This sounds very strange

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 12-Jan-16 12:49:11

She shouldn't have shown up without an official letter. They usually phone to make the appointment with you, or write to you to ask you to phone to make the appointment, and then write to confirm the appointment.

They then review your bank statements, ask about your circumstances, see who lives in your house. If all is as it should be, the case is closed.

It's possible that someone is reporting you and that is triggering the checks, but regardless, the second one doesn't sound at all official. If it was legitimately someone from housing benefit, I'd be complaining that she turned up without warning.

jessicaquestions Tue 12-Jan-16 12:50:40

I invited her in and she did show me her ID, i didnt have anything to hide but it was just a surprise, ive never been on benefits until the 2yrs so all new to me

wannabestressfree Tue 12-Jan-16 12:50:53

Housing benefit write you to you and ask you to provide documents to your local council not turn up on the Doorstep. I would give them a ring.

jessicaquestions Tue 12-Jan-16 12:51:59

i did call housing benefit after she left and they confirmed she was real

GreatFuckability Tue 12-Jan-16 12:54:05

The dwp and housing benefit are totally different departments. They are just random checks.

Branleuse Tue 12-Jan-16 12:55:06

if you were being investigated, theyd probably tell you.

wannabestressfree Tue 12-Jan-16 12:55:08

They must be different in different areas then..

Helloitsme90 Tue 12-Jan-16 12:55:24

Yup sounds weird. But it's not about being unlucky. If you're not commenting fraud then you've got nothing to worry about

DancingDinosaur Tue 12-Jan-16 12:55:32

They turned up on my doorstep once after an ex tried to get me in to trouble by saying I was working. I guess if I had been and they had rang to make an appointment, then they'd be warning me in advance. Which they wouldn't want to do. They also took my car details and followed me across town without my knowledge.

gobbynorthernbird Tue 12-Jan-16 12:55:42

They are allowed to turn up. It happened to me, years ago. Someone had reported that I had a partner and the fraud investigator knocked on my door at 7:30am to check I was on my own because of the car on the drive. (Car belonged to DM who was visiting for a few days.)

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 12-Jan-16 13:02:38

I can understand its very worrying but as previously said. If you're doing nothing wrong .Then you've nothing to worry about. Just cooperate as you are doing.
On a general note. Ive never understood this business of reporting and telling tales. Do these people not actually have an erm life.. hmm. And further more . How do people know so much about each other anyway. I know nothing about my neighbours ect.

hellswelshy Tue 12-Jan-16 13:50:52

General checks by DWP, in terms of visits, should alway be confirmed in writing or by telephone call first. However as pp states the DWP are separate from Housing Benefit, so I'm unsure what their procedures are.

If you've confirmed the person was legitimate, did they tell you why they turned up randomly?

knobblyknee Tue 12-Jan-16 14:04:05

That sounds like you are under investigation. They dont have time or resources to do spot checks.
They may have been told you have a 'lodger'.

But if you've been dobbed in it, dont fly off the handle at anyone. Act like nothing happened. They find that far more annoying grin

LiarLiarBigPantsOnFire Tue 12-Jan-16 14:21:32

It would be unusual for a HB officer to turn up unannounced unless they were investigating something (worked with them in a previous life). If you couldn't get to their office due to a disability, they would normally book an appointment at home.

Did they say they were from the Fraud Department? You can ring them and ask them why they arrived unannounced. If you have the woman's name ask what department she works in if you're not sure?

Viviennemary Tue 12-Jan-16 14:33:02

It wouldn't be usual for them to do spot checks as just a routine. So it does sound as if somebody has reported you or they aren't happy. But if you've done nothing wrong you've nothing to worry about. But a lot of people do defraud benefits so you can't blame them for checking though it's not pleasant if you've done nothing wrong.

abigamarone Tue 12-Jan-16 14:38:42

I don't think I'd be letting anyone in and showing them bank statements without warning whether they produced ID or not (not a clue what it would look like so easy to fake).

elementofsurprise Tue 12-Jan-16 15:48:41

Iliveinalighthouse On a general note. Ive never understood this business of reporting and telling tales. Do these people not actually have an erm life..
Seriously? Considering all the cuts to benefits and how very vulnerable people are being hurt, you think its ok to let fraud go unchecked?
I knew someone who went abroad for a year, sublet their (in high demand, one bed) council flat and claimed housing benefit on it. Plus another benefit. Disgusting. The only reason I didn't report was because they'd know it was me.

unlucky83 Tue 12-Jan-16 16:10:00

I have had HB turn up unannounced years ago. In Lambeth.
I was waiting for a claim to start (there was a backlog of months, lots of mislaid/lost forms, queueing in the chaotic claim centre for hours etc).
I'd just gone out but forgotten something - as I went back there was a man and woman in suits knocking on our door...they were very mysterious. Apparently they'd been the day before and missed me. I saw their ID, I had to show them my ID, sign something and then they gave me a giro for over a £1000 (my back claim). Yes I did nearly kiss them as I was pretty desperate by then.
(Then a couple of months later I was no longer eligible became a FT student - I wrote and told them -twice, I phoned (hours on hold) and told them. They still kept sending me a monthly giro. I didn't cash them, just kept them. After another few months they sent me a letter... I thought at last! but no it was another giro, telling me they had been 'underpaying' me ...
I went to the claim centre to sort it out (my biggest worry was one would go astray and I would be liable or something). They wanted me to hand in the uncashed giros (over £1000 worth) to the same place where I had handed in and they had lost countless forms...I refused. Eventually took me into the back and I sat down with someone, we sorted it all out there and then (I kept one giro but wrote them a cheque for most of it ) ...it took less than 10 mins and all I could think about was how much more efficient it would have been if they just done that for everyone from the start...instead of them drowning under mountains of lost/duplicated forms, being called in to say your claim was incomplete to find they had lost things etc etc ... and then having to send people out hand delivering cheques...)

maggiethemagpie Tue 12-Jan-16 17:06:55

I also had someone turn up years ago, I was living in a house share so claiming as a single person, but I'd had to list the names of the other people and they came to see that I was not living as a couple.

My housemate shouted very loudly 'I'm not supporting 'er!' when he man arrived and made the reason for his visit clear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now