Talk

Advanced search

To not want strangers to butt in.

(21 Posts)
Iwonderif Tue 12-Jan-16 12:18:44

This occurred at 9am but still annoyed & wanting to ask opinions. Went to petrol station after school run. Small petrol station only 8 pumps. Quiet forecourt. Pulled in and as I did a large minibus also pulled in from other entrance which you can also use as an exit. I presumed he was probably waiting for me as was more or less facing my car as the last row of pumps is a very tight lane and bearing in mind size of his vehicle. Fill up, pay. I'm now walking towards my car, mini bus has done a 3 point turn on forecourt and is reversing into very tight lane where I am now walking across. He hasn't seen me as I glance up and can see him only using side mirrors, he's not reversing slowy. I have to move very quickly but shout "be careful" he then realised, slams on break and passenger acknowledges me. I'm now at my car only to get my head bitten off by nosey customer on forecourt behind me who said that was my fault?!?!?? WTF? I asked him how it was and he said "you could see him reversing" I did say to nosey git that he wasn't using his rear view mirrors so he wasn't looking behind him whilst reversing a vehicle but he'd trundled off muttering to himself. angry I was so bloody annoyed more so at nosey old fart more than nearly being knocked over by a large minibus. AIBU when I say please please do not butt in when it's none of your business...also I don't feel I was in the wrong, as I stepped out of the petrol station he was a good distance from me. It was as he was straightening up to align with the pumps that he quickly sped up but only using side mirrors I presume.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 12-Jan-16 12:20:43

YNBU. If you'd have wanted the parrot . You'd have shaken the seeds.

BanningTheWordNaice Tue 12-Jan-16 12:22:33

Difficult to judge but if I see someone's reversing I don't walk behind them just to get to my car quickly... It's common courtesy in my view to let someone make a difficult manoeuvre. I've never nearly run over anyone when they do suddenly step out behind me when I'm reversing either and would expect to be at fault for not looking.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 12-Jan-16 12:24:33

It's not really about who's at fault though, Banning. Op is peeved because a stranger with seemingly no involvement in the situation. butted in.

Bearbehind Tue 12-Jan-16 12:26:37

It's sounds to me like YABU.

what difference does it make that he wasn't using his rear view mirror?

It's perfectly ok to reverse using side mirrors- how else do lorry and van drivers manage?

Iggi999 Tue 12-Jan-16 12:29:54

I have a mini bus licence. Told to use wing mirrors as you can't usually see our the back when it's full.

Iwonderif Tue 12-Jan-16 12:32:15

Exactly. I'm annoyed at people butting in. It had nothing to do with person behind me hence why I answered him back when he felt the need to give his opinion. I was slightly shaken up which is why i also snapped at the miserable sod.

gabsdot Tue 12-Jan-16 12:35:28

YANBU. I know how you feel, years ago DS ran out in front of a car. He was about 2 and I got an awful fright. I grabbed him back and the car slowed down, driver gave me a sympathetic wave and drove on. Then the driver in the car behind slowed down and gave me a good telling off about how I should mind my child and not let him run into the road..WTF. I was already nearly in tears and he upset me so much more.

Bearbehind Tue 12-Jan-16 12:36:42

But it sounds like you were in the wrong walking where you did- the other person didn't have to say anything but if you'd nearly caused an accident in a petrol forecourt where I was standing and had shouted at the driver, I'd be tempted to say something too.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 12-Jan-16 12:37:14

Thats awful, Gab. Talk about kicking someone when they're down.

Leelu6 Tue 12-Jan-16 12:37:33

YANBU. Annoying busybody.

Cryptic post of the day confused

BanningTheWordNaice Tue 12-Jan-16 12:39:20

To be honest from the way you're making it sound as though it was completely the driver's fault and not acknowledging that you probably shouldn't have crossed when you did makes me think that you shouted enough at the driver for the 'miserable old sod' to think you were being an arse. I personally wouldn't feel it was my duty to tell off a stranger but you don't exactly sound like you behaved perfectly either.

StayWithMe Tue 12-Jan-16 12:43:37

When did Cantona join mumsnet? grin

Iwonderif Tue 12-Jan-16 12:44:38

This wasn't about who was right and wrong or how certain vehicles are driven. I was talking about strangers butting in. Didn't want to drip feed so shared full story.

CocktailQueen Tue 12-Jan-16 12:45:26

Hm, sounds like the other guy shouldn't have butted in, but maybe he felt that you were at fault and didn't want you blaming the minibus driver?

It's up to you to keep yourself safe round reversing vehicles, esp. ones with restricted views out the back - and how on earth could you see which mirrors he was using?!

Sounds like the minibus driver could have been more careful too, though.

Bearbehind Tue 12-Jan-16 12:46:45

But you'd shouted a a stranger, the driver, and potentially put the other person at risk if the driver had hit a petrol pump of something.

Agree not everyone would say anything but when someone behaves like an arse then it has to be expected that others may react.

GruntledOne Tue 12-Jan-16 12:46:55

YANBU. It sounds as if the driver and passenger acknowledged it was their fault, it was none of the other man's business.

Iggi999 Tue 12-Jan-16 12:48:10

He said it was your fault.
Most people on here think it was your fault too.
He said what most people witnessing the situation would have been thinking.
You were shaken but need to just chalk it up now.

SevenOfNineTrue Tue 12-Jan-16 12:54:05

I'd have said 'And just what business is it of yours what I do?' and given them a hard stare.

APlaceOnTheCouch Tue 12-Jan-16 12:58:30

I think YABU.

If there had been an accident then the police and the insurers would take into account what witnesses said. It's a situation where strangers do get to offer opinions.

And it was not a good decision to walk behind a vehicle that was already reversing. The fact you had to shout at the driver to avoid being hit shows that your decision to cross, was a bad one.

Also if the stranger shouting at you, makes you think next time you're about to walk out behind a reversing vehicle then his butting in was a good thing.

chillycurtains Tue 12-Jan-16 13:19:42

Not easy to judge when no one here has seen the actual events. But I think YWBU. You should never walk behind a reserving vehicle. It's just foolish. Being 30 seconds quicker to your car was just not worth the risk at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now