Sweary friends

(4 Posts)
jazztonic Sun 10-Jan-16 15:19:12

how do you deal with sweary Friends?
DDs are 6+8; recently they have come home from a Friends house sharing their newly aquired "F" words. Not by using them as such but telling me that X has told them in a jokingly way (I guess to show off) that if you want someone to go away you tell them to FOff; middle finger signs or last night over dinner they DD1 asked why calling her Friends cat p***y is rude?
Yes, people swear, in a grown up jokingly way it could be classed as fun. Kids pick it up. call me old fashioned, but I dont think its appropriate for a 6year old to be introduced by Friends to new vocabulary.

TimeToMuskUp Sun 10-Jan-16 15:23:53

DCs are 10 and 5 and don't swear. Not because they don't know them, but because they have been told never to use them. DS1 has come home with odd words every so often, we talk about what it means, why we don't use it, and why it's not ok. That's it. I don't ban them from certain friends, because that's madness. I just lay down the law and they listen.

Having said that, the 10 year old was called a 'motherfucker' by another kid at school before christmas. He got in my car at home time (teacher hadn't mentioned it but playground is madly busy so perhaps she'd been sidelined) and declared (in front of the 5 year old) that he presumed motherfucker was an insult and wanting to know what he should do next time. I sort of frown upon that, because, well, what 10 year old knows how to put motherfucker into a sentence (unless he's at school with Malcolm Tucker's offspring)? But nothing you can do except explain and ban it from your home. DS1 hasn't used it again since.

originalmavis Sun 10-Jan-16 15:24:57

We've always told DS that he will hear it but its not to be repeated (not big or clever). You can't walk down the road without hearing someone effing and blinding these days.

fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Sun 10-Jan-16 17:12:34

It's not new vocabulary at 8 or 6 unless you've kept them locked in a castle until now.

Teaching kids to recognise appropriate language for the group they're in and use it makes much more sense than an attempt to prevent it (swearing is universal in all languages, even if some people just do it with words which are only personally taboo like "fiddlesticks" rather than more widespread)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now