Talk

Advanced search

Dried figs should have the stem removed

(43 Posts)
DyslexicScientist Sat 09-Jan-16 09:05:23

Why the frig to dried figs have the hard stalk on them that has to be manually removed?

Surely in this day and age they can dry them without it?

Anyone from Turkey that works in a fig drier?

magimedi Sat 09-Jan-16 09:07:05

This is only an assumption on my part, but I reckon figs take some time to dry & if you removed the stalk there would be a hole in the fig that could let bacteria in, leading to rot.

DyslexicScientist Sat 09-Jan-16 09:09:40

That's a good point mag, but figs are inverted flowers and often are split and open at the bottom.

DyslexicScientist Sat 09-Jan-16 09:16:14

Even without al I had 5 days for a holiday. If I wanted longer I'd take al or just do a 4or 5 day week the week before.

HoneyDragon Sat 09-Jan-16 09:18:05

I guess fig pickers don't know where the figs will end up when they are picked.

Then when they sorted into fresh figs, figs to be dried and figs to be jam favour compost etc, the fig drying company aren't prepared to pay a premium to have the stalks removed at the sorting plant.

Then they'll need to dry them ASAP and it would cost more in labour and time to remove the stalks before.

And messy and time consuming to do it afterward and it would hold up packaging.

magimedi Sat 09-Jan-16 09:41:41

I don't reckon they dry the split ones. Suspect they only dry perfect whole ones. I don't think I've ever had a split dried fig.

I love figs.

SoupDragon Sat 09-Jan-16 09:43:43

I'm not entirely sure I can see any problem whatsoever with them having a stalk on.

MuttonDressedAsMutton Sat 09-Jan-16 09:45:54

Christ on a bike. Whatever next? Fruit for people who are too stupid to eat fruit?

chocolatemademefat Sat 09-Jan-16 09:58:20

And cherries should be grown without stones ffs! The time I waste is - hardly any. Anyway why are you eating helathy snacks? Don't you have a mountain of Christmas crap still calling out to you?

knobblyknee Sat 09-Jan-16 10:00:31

chocolatemademefat stealth boast much? We're down to the fruit jellies sad

CrazyCatLady13 Sat 09-Jan-16 10:00:55

YABU for eating figs - they're basically wasp nests. Not suitable for eating if you're vegan due to the high number of wasp bodies inside!

Sallyingforth Sat 09-Jan-16 10:03:36

YABU.
Figs are disgusting.
HTC.

knobblyknee Sat 09-Jan-16 10:03:46

...oh yeah, figs. The stems only come out easily if the fruit is very ripe. Otherwise you have to cut them off, or you damage the fruit. thats why some dried fruit have stems.
It cant be helped.

Sallyingforth Sat 09-Jan-16 10:04:43

HTH!

CuttedUpPear Sat 09-Jan-16 10:05:02

Why OP?
Have you cut your tongue licking a fig by any chance?

ilovesooty Sat 09-Jan-16 10:23:34

I'm sure there are many fig driers living in Turkey on MN who will be along to answer your query soon.

HoneyDragon Sat 09-Jan-16 11:12:10

So I'm the only person who stopped and considered this, as an interesting ponder?

<gets coat>

DyslexicScientist Sat 09-Jan-16 11:23:00

Honey I count a few of us, it is a shame having interesting ponders is beyond quite a lot here.

I've never found a wasp body in mine. Figs are particularly good for vegans, but that is probably because of insects in them, in actually OK with that. Its not the same as intensive battery farming.

M and s sell medguoa dates with stone, presumably hand removed, can't be long until fig stem removed are on sale.

Dried fig rings are the left overs from Xmas junk for me grin

pootypootwell Sat 09-Jan-16 14:24:28

YABU, as I like to use the stem as a handle to avoid getting sticky fingers. Have also never found any deceased wasps inside a fig, fresh or otherwise - very alarming news!

PreAdvent13610 Sat 09-Jan-16 14:31:59

Only perfect figs are dried. If the stem is removed, the pointy end will go hard and yuck during the process. The stem is already hard and yuck, so that is ok.
pooty I also use the stem as a handle, means you can type and eat figs.
catlady wasps only get into figs when they split.
I have a fig tree and spend too much time contemplating and eating figs.

HoneyDragon Sat 09-Jan-16 14:38:21

I've just realised the first put in the Christmas Cakewere stemless.

I've also just realised I still gave Christmas Cake left

And some Wensledale

<goes to find elasticated trousers>

DyslexicScientist Tue 12-Jan-16 10:10:47

I don't buy the whole using it as a handle - they are often scrunched up and you have to fiddle with the fruit to even get the stem out.

Has no one experience of a fig drying place?

mrspremise Tue 12-Jan-16 10:59:04

Even without al I had 5 days for a holiday. If I wanted longer I'd take al or just do a 4or 5 day week the week before

I am utterly confused by the relevance of this. Did you have to take time off work to remove the fig stalks, op?

DyslexicScientist Tue 12-Jan-16 11:05:29

You'd think so with how time consuming it is, but no wrong thread.

ppeatfruit Tue 12-Jan-16 11:08:04

I love figs, I eat them nearly every day (dried and fresh) and have NEVER found any insect in them.*CrazyCat*Am I just lucky? grin or unlucky grin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now