Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to Resell to a Cold Caller?

(13 Posts)
Leigh1980 Fri 08-Jan-16 19:46:35

Best way to get rid if a cold caller! After reading the threads about them and ideas to get rid of them. I devised the perfect plan!

I was called today by one and I said "Hi this is Leigh, I'm so glad you called as I was just about to call you" They were a telephone company like BT (Im not in UK) company.

I said "I'm so glad you called as I work for MTN (SA cell phone provider) and wanted to know if your company was interested in our business mobile deals?)

Of course I dont work for MTN but it was the first thing that came to mind!

They were most surprised and stuttered then apologised and put the phone down ASAP.! so do I win the award to get rid of cold callers ASAP? grin

eddielizzard Fri 08-Jan-16 19:48:30

haha fantastic! i must remember that.

carbsfoundme Fri 08-Jan-16 21:04:04

I like your style OP grin

However, I think you do secretly work for MTN and I have many complaints about them. Do you want me to list them here or shall I PM you? wink

Leigh1980 Fri 08-Jan-16 22:34:28

Lol Carbs, no unfortunately or shall I say fortunately I don't. I also have issues with them so feel your pain. They just kind of popped into my head when I got the call confused

AlisonWunderland Fri 08-Jan-16 22:36:55

If I'm in the mood, I've started asking cold callers for the correct password before I can talk to them.
No one has got it right yet...

Leigh1980 Fri 08-Jan-16 22:38:13

That's really funny Alison. They must get so confused 😂

thismumismad Sat 09-Jan-16 07:42:51

You can all of course get yourself registered with the Telephone Preference Service. Companies can get fines if they still call after you've been registered for a month. So the quickest way to get rid of callers is to say TPS they will fly off your line.
www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html

londonrach Sat 09-Jan-16 07:48:22

Thismum....doesnt work if phone calls are from abroad sadly. I just hang up, nothing said, just hang up. No point wasting their or my time.

CasperGutman Sat 09-Jan-16 08:28:32

I usually tell them I'm 12 years old and they need to speak to one of my parents, who isn't available right now. That works quickly and painlessly.

skinoncustard Sat 09-Jan-16 09:09:52

TPS-- absolutely useless ! I've been sworn at and laughed at in equal measure when quoting them to cold callers . The only thing that worked was the BT call guardian phone, best £50 I've ever spent . Had it since last Sept , not one cold call
Has got through . Love love love it smile,

skinoncustard Sat 09-Jan-16 09:12:43

No need for provider to be BT , we aren't. Only thing required is caller ID . Can't recommend it enough .

Dashie Sat 09-Jan-16 09:13:49

Thanks thismum, that took me all of 2 minutes.

OP I like your style! Good quick thinking there.

Leigh1980 Sat 09-Jan-16 09:22:57

Thanks everyone for your replies. I used to use TPS but still had callers coming through. I don't live in the UK anymore so can't register with them as we don't have it. I've unplugged house phone so only use mobile now so I can see who's calling which hopefully I can monitor incoming calls.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: