Talk

Advanced search

To put a pure wool dry clean only jumper in the washing machine?

(29 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Fri 08-Jan-16 15:06:24

Well, would i be? if i put it on the wool cycle?

There is a REALLY NICE jumper for sale in the charity shop, its pure wool, those palomino jumpers you often see on hippy type stalls. I want it but obviously don't want to arse about dry cleaning it.

Would you risk it? its a fiver?

coffeetasteslikeshit Fri 08-Jan-16 15:08:12

I washed my 100% wool jumper. It shrank sad.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 08-Jan-16 15:08:20

I wouldn't if you like it. It's not a fiver is it? Because you couldn't replace it for that if you ruin it.

MaidOfStars Fri 08-Jan-16 15:08:31

For a fiver, I'd risk it. I wash loads of stuff in my machine that is dry clean only. Wool cycle, low temp, slow spin, done.

SwedishEdith Fri 08-Jan-16 15:08:32

Put it on the cold cycle.

FunkyPeacock Fri 08-Jan-16 15:08:51

YANBU if you want to donate the jumper to a toddler to wear after you have shrunk the hell out of it!

Could you handwash it in lukewarm water?

MaidOfStars Fri 08-Jan-16 15:09:43

Could you handwash it in lukewarm water?

Why would this be massively different to a slow slosh in lukewarm water in the machine?

PolterGoose Fri 08-Jan-16 15:11:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FunkyPeacock Fri 08-Jan-16 15:12:28

I don't know Maid, I'm speaking purely from personal experience as I've never managed to shrink anything by handwashing BUT have ruined several items of clothing over the years in my washing machine!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 08-Jan-16 15:12:49

i'd hand wash and only spin it in the machine

it's the whooshing about that aggravates the shrinking I think.

Morecheesegrommet Fri 08-Jan-16 15:16:04

If it can't survive the washing machine, it's got no place in my home!

originalmavis Fri 08-Jan-16 15:17:45

Don't do it! Unless you have some chilly barbie dolls.

MineIsAGinAndTonic Fri 08-Jan-16 15:18:24

Hand wash and then spin very gently in the washing machine. easy peasy.

friendafar Fri 08-Jan-16 15:20:23

Hand wash (spot clean then soak in bucket then gently squeeze out, rinse, squeeze).

Depending on thickness of jumper, pop on spin cycle. Or you can roll it in a towel.

Dry flat!! Whatever you do, dry flat!!

xmasseason Fri 08-Jan-16 15:20:35

Wool cycles shrink wool IME confused

MaxPepsi Fri 08-Jan-16 15:21:26

Palomino? Trying to work out what you mean now as I'm intrigued.

However, I stick all my hand washing/dry cleaning in the washing machine and it all comes out fine. DH however can't be bloody trusted

I tend to use the silk cycle rather than the wool cycle tho and use Daz but I do keep meaning to buy some woolite.

Just make sure you reshape when it comes out.

originalmavis Fri 08-Jan-16 15:23:00

Palomino, horse, jumper...?

TheoriginalLEM Fri 08-Jan-16 15:30:07

they'd sold it. dilemma solved

VegetablEsoup Fri 08-Jan-16 15:33:28

handwash setting-no spin
and then roll up between a couple of towels to squeeze out some water and dry flat.
use shampoo instead of powder

minipie Fri 08-Jan-16 15:33:44

I wash all my wool and cashmere jumpers in the washing machine at 30 degrees, delicate cycle (NOT the wool cycle which is 40 degrees). Cold wash would be better if I had one.

They do shrink very very slightly but it takes multiple washes before it's a noticeable extent. You need to stretch them out while they are still damp and dry them flat.

Note however that washing at low temperatures will not kill the dreaded clothes moth eggs. I bought a charity shop wool jumper and it was riddled with the things, I still have a moth problem years later sad

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Fri 08-Jan-16 15:37:01

I've done this many times on the handwash cycle - 9/10 times its been fine. For a fiver I'd definitely risk it

minipie Fri 08-Jan-16 15:39:28

Ah just saw the update. Never mind, it probably had moth anyway!

Abraid2 Fri 08-Jan-16 16:24:30

I wash cashmere in the washing machine without problems.

Mistigri Fri 08-Jan-16 16:35:45

I regularly wash wool on a cold wool or silk cycle in my machine, with no issues at all. I'd risk it.

FlatOnTheHill Fri 08-Jan-16 16:39:15

Wool was cycle, Zero temperature, wool wash liquid, use fabric softner, very low spin.
Its a fast spin, high temperature and wrong liquid that ruin jumpers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now