To think I shouldn't have had to download an ad blocker

(14 Posts)
FairyFluffbum Thu 07-Jan-16 07:14:29

I've just had to download it as there is one add on mumsnet that covers half the page and refuses to close or let me scroll off. This means I can't read it.

Bloody thing

NotOneIota Thu 07-Jan-16 07:19:03

I've had adblocker as long as I've had a laptop, ads drive me nuts too! YANBU.

magimedi Thu 07-Jan-16 07:20:22

You use this site for free. MN has to make money somewhere. If you don't like the ads get an add blocker. Doesn't seem much of an issue to me.

FairyFluffbum Thu 07-Jan-16 07:22:01

Normally I don't mind the ads..just not when they take up half the page and won't close!

Seeyounearertime Thu 07-Jan-16 07:23:56

Never had a problem with the ads here? But then im on tablet.
The only issue I get is when they advertise lovely things I've been lusting after that I know I cant afford. sad

magimedi Thu 07-Jan-16 07:24:07

Fair enough, Fairy grin

IamCarcass Thu 07-Jan-16 07:30:14

Seeyounearer find the nicest thing in your house and search for that then the ads will show that item and you can be all smug that you already own it.
OP yanbu if the ads are so big the page doesn't function. Is that on your phone? Maybe you should put a post in site stuff about it?

BalthazarImpresario Thu 07-Jan-16 07:30:34

I don't mind ads but the scroll across ones are awful they are always triggered by your mouse going slightly near them and create a frustrating experience, same goes for ones with sound that auto play. But I get the need for advertising just not those two types

scribblegirl Thu 07-Jan-16 07:31:57

I've just had that OP - graded teal sort of colour, took up the top half of the browser on my phone?

Bloody annoying. Closed the window and touch wood hasn't reappeared.

scribblegirl Thu 07-Jan-16 07:33:37

Fuck, spoke too soon.

CuttedUpPear Thu 07-Jan-16 07:45:02

It's a technical issue, report it on Site Stuff rather than starting yet another AIBU.

Trills Thu 07-Jan-16 07:45:29

Did you mean to post on Site Stuff and say "MN, you have an ad format that is causing problems, here are the details of my browser and the page(s) it occurs on"?

Rather than on AIBU complaining that they MADE you download an ad blocker?

FairyFluffbum Thu 07-Jan-16 07:47:23

That's it scribble

And j thought it was my phone as no one else complained about it

Footle Thu 07-Jan-16 08:31:42

Site Stuff already has a lot of explanation by MN and discussion by posters of this very subject.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now