to think standard double beds are too small?

(145 Posts)
VegetablEsoup Wed 06-Jan-16 22:13:05

away with work.
standard double room.
bed is too short and too narrow. and that's for me alone.

how can 2 people comfortably sleep in one? every night? at the same time?

and don't get me started on the manky decorative bed throw and cushions

VegetablEsoup Wed 06-Jan-16 22:13:48

should be illegal to call it double. why not call it large single?

Kraggle Wed 06-Jan-16 22:14:22

Yeo. My king size is too small for me and dh but my room is too small for a super king!

Kraggle Wed 06-Jan-16 22:14:38

*yep that should be!

M48294Y Wed 06-Jan-16 22:14:53

Yanbu. I have a Warren Evans superking with ridiculously thick mattress, very often to myself. God, I love my bed.

LumpySpaceCow Wed 06-Jan-16 22:15:26

I've managed for the past 9 years, at times with the 2 kids as well 😀
We have just ordered a king size though and I'm super excited!

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Wed 06-Jan-16 22:15:36

We had a standard double for years because that was what you did. We've had a super king size for about 10 years now and when we have to go into double I swear it's like coupling up in a single shock

Everything seems to get bigger though. Handbags, wineglasses. I could go on grin

VegetablEsoup Wed 06-Jan-16 22:16:09

at home we have a superking+separate duvets.
bliss.

maybebabybee Wed 06-Jan-16 22:16:49

Really? I'm in a standard double at the moment with 6 ft 2 DP. I'd prefer a king obviously but we can both stretch out comfortably enough in the double.

LemonRedwood Wed 06-Jan-16 22:17:24

Before we lived together, I had a king size and DH had a double. I moved in with him and his crappy small double bed. We're both always complaining that each other has moved onto our respective sides of the bed.

The king size was perfect for just me and the cat sad

Imisscheese Wed 06-Jan-16 22:19:36

We're buying a super king and I can't wait! You're right a double is too small, especially since we both like to spread out.

abetterhairbrushisneeded Wed 06-Jan-16 22:20:34

Super king and seperate double duvets here too!!! I hate holiday bed roulette. Will it or won't it be a decent bed. I honestly rather stay home than in a place with a small or old bed.

Cloppysow Wed 06-Jan-16 22:23:25

I will forever have a superking. Just for me. FOREVA!

I actually went in and looked at it and blew it a kiss after i'd been away for 10 days. It's love.

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Wed 06-Jan-16 22:23:40

I love my superking bed most of the time, the only time I hate it is when it need the duvet cover and sheets washed.

I couldn't settle for a double now.

CountryRoadTakeMeHome Wed 06-Jan-16 22:24:39

When my DC need new beds we will upgrade them to King Size (biggish bedrooms) as I can see what the future holds!

Reckon they will be at home for sometime (secretly love it!)

MissLanaBanana Wed 06-Jan-16 22:26:37

I can't believe we lasted 1o years with a double!My sleeping vastly improved after buying a king a couple of years ago! we've since moved house and have a large bed room which could easily take a superking...trying to resist up grading!

Devora Wed 06-Jan-16 22:29:22

I've only ever had a standard double and it's fine for me and dp (though not extra children). I'm not small, but I am a very neat sleeper - I tuck up at the side and don't move much. I also share a single with dd2 when we have guests, and have also slept across the bottom of a double with two kids in it.

Having a kingsize to myself sounds like the stuff of my wildest dreams. One day smile

ShamefulPlaceMarker Wed 06-Jan-16 22:29:34

I don't think hotel doubles are actually doubles. It sounds small! We have a double and my 6'2 dh and i fit fine in it with our 2yr old often in the middle!

redgoat Wed 06-Jan-16 22:29:40

We have a superking size bed and I hate hate hate sleeping in a double. I like my space.

RoseValley83 Wed 06-Jan-16 22:30:57

We can't got a super king in, but got great advice from a friend when buying to get a king bed and a super king duvet. Saves at least some of the arguments smile and DH is a total duvet hog...

HoneyDragon Wed 06-Jan-16 22:34:23

I have a kingsize bed just for me.

The idea of sleeping in a double bed with dh fills me with horror. He's a fidgety furnace.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 06-Jan-16 22:35:20

Ive just got a normal double. Can sleep without touching Dh. Would prefer a bigger bed but bedroom is small.

Wiifitmama Wed 06-Jan-16 22:40:19

Super king here with separate duvets too smile Hate anything smaller. And yes to holiday roulette. We love holiday homes in Germany and Austria as they are often large beds with single separate duvets.

honeyroar Wed 06-Jan-16 22:44:54

A double will always feel small if you are used to a kingsize normally. DH and I have a regular double. I'm a fat cow and he's a giraffe. We sleep well in it (although need an extension for his feet and have a blanket box at the end of the bed!). We do plan to have a king size when we finish our future bedroom which is bigger.

Youremywifenow Wed 06-Jan-16 22:45:22

This is a timely thread, we are just debating whether to get a king or super king after 20 years together in a double. Now too small as every night, a small child climbs in and one of us has to get out. We have another one on the way as well. We have the space for a super king but all my lovely duvet covers are king size and would have to replace them although do have a spare room to use them in. It feels wasteful.
Will a king size duvet fit on a super king bed? is a super king worth it? Advice much appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now