To think this is probably not the promotion it is being touted as?

(15 Posts)
CatThiefKeith Wed 06-Jan-16 16:25:01

Without outing myself too much, I work for a company that has two sales divisions. One sales division (A) sells items that are around the 5-7k mark, and the other division (B) sells items that sell for anywhere between 5k and 200k.

Big boss runs division B, and wanker boss runs division A, along with his son.. Big boss wants to semi retire this year and has asked me to move into sales (from admin) two days per week (including every Saturday, which to be fair is a day I already work anyway so no change) selling items from both divisions. We sell more of division A's items, but the commission % on division B is higher.

This seems too good to be true to me. Why would wanker boss and his son not want to sell the high end items? I have a sneaky feeling that once lovely boss is out of the office more they are likely to swindle me out of as much commission as possible whilst having most weekends off and leaving me to it.

AIBU to think this all sounds a bit dodgy and I am likely to actually earn 10% of fuck all instead of the extra 15-20k that lovely boss seems to think I could?

FannyTheChampionOfTheWorld Wed 06-Jan-16 16:50:49

It could be solely about the weekends off rather than swindling you out of anything maybe?

TheSnowFairy Wed 06-Jan-16 17:04:14

Try it and keep records of all your sales. Could be a good money-earner?

whois Wed 06-Jan-16 17:04:44

If it is only 2 days a week whats the harm?

Piffpaffpoff Wed 06-Jan-16 17:06:02

Can you get them to agree to a 3 month trial period, going back to your old job if you wish at the end of it, no questions asked?

RudeElf Wed 06-Jan-16 17:11:57

Get everything in writing! Before you accept the role and when you do keep records of all sales. Is big boss walking away from the business completely or will he still have influence?

flowery Wed 06-Jan-16 17:14:28

"Why would wanker boss and his son not want to sell the high end items?"

Perhaps they do but big boss would prefer you do it?

Sonders Wed 06-Jan-16 17:21:57

I second RudeElf, it sounds like a great opportunity, just get everything in writing first including job title, date of promotion, new contract and commissions first - you can always negotiate and maybe ask about a clause that could protect you from Wanker Boss and Wanker Boss Jr.

OllyBJolly Wed 06-Jan-16 17:36:32

Are they shareholders? If so they would be benefitting from increased profits via dividends - much more tax effective way to get cash.

Or it could be that they have a network of clients, are comfortable with their market and contacts and would rather keep going on as they are . Also they maybe don't want the threat of someone new coming in whereas you're a known quantity and they obviously think you are capable.

And keep track of your sales! And theirs if it's possible to do that. (sales people are notoriously bad at admin)

CatThiefKeith Wed 06-Jan-16 18:09:34

My biggest concern is that if I sell something belonging to division A it is unlikely that the client will take it away on the day, so if I sell it on a Saturday and it gets handed over on a Monday they will take the sale.

They aren't shareholders.

TendonQueen Wed 06-Jan-16 18:12:37

Sounds like you need to get a much more detailed account of how the role would work, including agreement that the person who actually agrees the sale with a customer gets the commission, never mind when the item is collected (how would that make sense anyway?) Plus Piff's idea about a trial period is good.

WhereYouLeftIt Wed 06-Jan-16 18:36:43

Does big boss know other boss is a wanker?

PrincessMouse Wed 06-Jan-16 18:53:36

Is there anyway of you logging your pipeline (sales) that don't complete on the day? Could you maybe email (spreadsheet or highlights) your boss B (cc wanker boss in) every week or daily highlighting what your have sold but due to complete on another day so no one can steal the sale? You could say its an update to keep everyone informed. wink smile

CatThiefKeith Wed 06-Jan-16 18:58:48

He must have a fair idea. We have lost several salesmen from division A, until just father and son are left, taking the commission from all sales.

Fairy made a good point, maybe big boss would prefer me to deal with the higher end stuff as a) I'm extremely honest and b) wanker boss is a bit of an arse. Obsessed with what people drive, how big their house is, how much they earn. He's forever telling people how big his hideous house is!

CatThiefKeith Wed 06-Jan-16 18:59:54

Princess that is genius! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now