Talk

Advanced search

To be really really pissed off with the benefit system?

(189 Posts)
Inshock73 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:35:38

I just want to have a rant really....

I've worked since I was 15 (part time) and full time since I was 18, that's 24 years, I've paid hundreds of thousands in income tax and now find myself with a much wanted first baby at 42 and in a tricky financial position. I was on a contract in my last employment and that was terminated when I went on maternity leave (all legal and above board) and I've been on SMP. My SMP has now stopped so I've enquired as to whether I can get any financial help so I can be at home with her until she's one, which is another four months. Basically no I can't because my partner is considered to be earning enough, he earns the national average. I'm so angry! I know several people who are lying to the benefits agency, living with partners and claiming they're not! How is this benefits system fair? I don't believe you pay in to get out, I'm only looking for help for just a few months until I go back to full time work and start paying income tax again!

Rant over.

BeautifulLiar Tue 05-Jan-16 16:38:18

No tax credits, nothing?

ThereIsIron Tue 05-Jan-16 16:38:52

Now is the time to dip into your savings then.

Inshock73 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:39:25

I need to look into that Beautiful, I've never claimed benefits before so it's all new to me.

Shutthatdoor Tue 05-Jan-16 16:40:06

I'm guessing it's because you have money in savings.....

Queenbean Tue 05-Jan-16 16:40:43

As I understand it, you save money that you don't you won't get paid for those few remaining months and then dip in to savings

Many people don't get a year off work maternity leave with benefits

Inshock73 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:40:45

Savings are gone There, they've been topping up my SMP. I naively thought I'd be happy to go back to work when she was six months old, I never expected to want to be at home for a year. But I do.

Queenbean Tue 05-Jan-16 16:41:19

*that you know you won't get paid

sundryweightyreasons Tue 05-Jan-16 16:41:35

The threshold for tax credits isn't that high.

Plenty of people don't claim them, though plenty of people also assume you do.

Bubblesinthesummer Tue 05-Jan-16 16:41:44

I need to look into that Beautiful, I've never claimed benefits before so it's all new to me

Riggghhttttt so you don't actually know whether or not you can them? hmm

NewLife4Me Tue 05-Jan-16 16:43:00

You get tax credit whether you have savings or not and with your dh only earning nat min wage you'd get a fair amount I think.
Obviously not a complete wage but it would help.

AutumnLeavesArePretty Tue 05-Jan-16 16:43:04

Benefits aren't there to cover maternity leave, we already have a generous SMP system. Most people have to save if they want the full year off as its a luxury.

Inshock73 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:43:05

Bubble I tried to claim housing and council tax. I've been told to try job seekers allowance.

Funinthesun15 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:43:05

Many people don't get a year off work maternity leave with benefits

^ this.

Inshock73 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:43:51

Thank you NewLife I'll look in to that.

Shutthatdoor Tue 05-Jan-16 16:44:12

Most people have to save if they want the full year off as its a luxury.

Yep. We couldn't afford it, so I didn't.

Hawest1 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:44:20

I'm sure u should get some working tax credits?
I don't know much about it as I am a single parent so I haven't had an issue with the benefits system yet but it may be worth heading to citizens advice or something? They will be able to tell u what u are entitled to if anything & 9/10times these things can be back dated x

gamerchick Tue 05-Jan-16 16:45:00

why haven't you claimed tax credits yet? Is your bloke over the threshold?

GreatFuckability Tue 05-Jan-16 16:46:31

nobody gets benefits to stay home beyond their SMP/Maternity pay though. there is no benefit for that, so you are not being unfairly treated compared to others. it wasn't so long ago you only got 16 weeks paid maternity leave, count yourself luckier than people were back then.

Inshock73 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:46:33

He's self employed and has never tried to claim anything either so we really are complete novices at this.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 05-Jan-16 16:46:46

She says her DH earns the national average which is £25/30k depending on which average we are talking about, so I think that is above the TC threshold for 1 DC?

Inshock73 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:48:03

So bloody annoyed now, wish I'd saved more! sad

Orda1 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:49:21

the average is about 26k, sorry, can you really expect benefits too? confused

Princecharlesfirstwife Tue 05-Jan-16 16:49:58

I wanted a year off with DS1. We could only afford mat pay from my employer so i went back after four months. I got a year with DD2 because we saved. Because, you know, we checked it all out before we actually had the baby.

SilverDragonfly1 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:51:27

You'd need a very low income to qualify for housing benefit or council tax- below 15,000 a year I should think. You'd be looking at child tax credits and possibly working tax credits once you return towards childcare. You might be entitled to contributions based JSA (don't know how that works post-maternity) but you would have to comply with all their rules about meetings and proving you're jobseeking.

National average salary is £27,000- is that roughly what he earns?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now