to have struggled not to laugh in his face

(104 Posts)
MeAndCoolioDownByTheSchoolYard Tue 05-Jan-16 13:53:29

On the bus home from town. DS (17 months) had just fallen asleep when we got on. A couple got on a few stops later with a 3-4 year old and then a toddler and a newborn, the latter two in some kind of behemoth double buggy the size of a camper van.

I got up and tried to squeeze my buggy sideways (even though I was wondering what they were seeing that I wasn't as there was no conceivable way they were both going to fit.) Mine wouldn't fit fully sideways because of the stupid pole so had to sit slightly diagonally. The mum then started stropping and asking me to move even though there was no other possible way I could have moved it that would have let theirs fit (apart from me taking a sleeping DS out and presumably handing him to a stranger while I collapsed the pram).

Her partner then said (passive aggressively to another passenger rather than to my face) that I should have got off the bus and waited for the next one as they had a newborn and therefore priority.

AIBU to think he must be on glue? If you go on public transport with such a big contraption surely you have to accept that you might sometimes have to wait for a bus with no other buggies? Or maybe put the newborn in a sling and then use a normal size pushchair for the toddler?

Home now, kettle is on. Eurgh.

DextersMistress Tue 05-Jan-16 13:57:13

Can't believe you didn't get off the bus, did you mean to be so rude? wink

NotSkinnyYet Tue 05-Jan-16 13:58:30

They were BU.

If there is already too many Prams on or not enough space then they should have to wait for the next bus, not you. He was being an arse. Our bus drivers usually wouldn't let you get on with a pram unless there was space. Enjoy your brew.

Pangurban1 Tue 05-Jan-16 14:00:29

There were two buggies. You were there first. Theirs would not fit in the space left. They asked you to collapse your buggy rather than collapsing their own. That is like demanding someone remove their correctly parked car so you can park your SUV in their space.

yanbu.

Arfarfanarf Tue 05-Jan-16 14:03:25

some people think the universe should revolve around them. That's their nature. Therefore when they have children, they apply it there too. I've got a BABY, but I've got a BABY, it's a BABY.

Well congratulations. That's a first. Nobody has ever had one of those before. However will you cope. grin

Did they get off the bus or sort their pushchair out?

goodnightdarthvader1 Tue 05-Jan-16 14:03:39

I'd have told them to buy a fucking car. Or stop popping out kids. But that's cos I'm mean.

Jw35 Tue 05-Jan-16 14:06:18

Gosh how rude were they?! Yanbu. Maybe if your boy was awake you could have folded yours but expecting you to wake your toddler isn't fair. They kinda do need a car with that many!

bearleftmonkeyright Tue 05-Jan-16 14:08:49

Why would you tell someone on a bus to buy a car if you are on the bus too?

Billyandemily Tue 05-Jan-16 14:10:23

Ive had this when i was stood at the bus for 20 minutes with my son just turned two and was 7 months pregnant. When the bus turned up a group of 5 people turned up and pushed in front of me to get on first. They told me because they had newborns they couldn't wait in the cold with them and the bus driver let them! I had to wait for the next bus.

MeAndCoolioDownByTheSchoolYard Tue 05-Jan-16 14:10:28

darthvader I had similar thoughts. They were very young too. Knew I'd get flamed if I included that in my OP though!

They left their zeppelin sitting half out in the aisle meaning anyone getting off before them had to manoeuvre their way around. And then they made snide digs all the way to their stop.

And they stunk the bus out with the bag of fried chicken they were taking home for their lunch.

No need.

MeAndCoolioDownByTheSchoolYard Tue 05-Jan-16 14:11:36

Billy that's crap. There are rude, entitled people everywhere.

Our buses are every 10 minutes. They could have easily waited.

bearleftmonkeyright Tue 05-Jan-16 14:14:37

So they made snide digs. And now you have come on here and made snide digs. Lovely. I take my hat off too them to be honest. Just forget it and move on. It's public transport.

MerryMarigold Tue 05-Jan-16 14:20:49

bearleft, to be fair they made their snide digs passively aggressively in front of the OP's face. This is just a fair enough moan, not a snide dig at all.

liz70 Tue 05-Jan-16 14:22:11

Life was a lot simpler when children were pushed around in huge carriage prams until they were about four, which mothers (or nannies) took no further than the local park, or the shops at the bottom of the road. wink grin

Pangurban1 Tue 05-Jan-16 14:29:04

All those digs were a type of passive aggressive bullying and intimidation. Trying to make you so uncomfortable you'd be driven off. If the only need was the newborn, they didn't need their double buggy and could have just fitted in with a buggy suitable for the newborn. They recognise their toddler needs, but yours was supposed to be awakened and get out of the way of their toddler too.

thelittleredhen Tue 05-Jan-16 14:31:24

There were two of them, surely one could have stayed at home with the children? grin

Leelu6 Tue 05-Jan-16 14:31:51

bear left - I take my hat off too them to be honest.

Now THAT is a snide dig. Hypocrite.

bearleftmonkeyright Tue 05-Jan-16 14:32:21

I get that it was a frustrating situation. But its got it all hasn't it, large family, young parents, smelly junk food. A lovely recipe for judginess. To be honest I have more of an issue with the bus driver for not sorting this out.

bearleftmonkeyright Tue 05-Jan-16 14:32:52

How am I a hypocrite?

Buttwing Tue 05-Jan-16 14:34:11

They were being rude and unreasonable. I have a two year old and a one year old and a big double buggy. It's a complete pain the arse but I need it, it takes up loads of space and most people are kind and usually make space for me (not that I expect it) and I'm hugely grateful as it's not that easy to manoeuvre. That said I would never attempt to go on a bus as I can't imagine that anyone would be able to get past.

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Tue 05-Jan-16 14:34:19

Well they were rude. But I think if you had a pram that could be folded easily, then you should of really. then everyone could of fit.

LurkingHusband Tue 05-Jan-16 14:34:54

They left their zeppelin sitting half out in the aisle

What a wonderfully evocative image grin ...

WorraLiberty Tue 05-Jan-16 14:36:06

I'm sure the bus driver has better things to do, than sort out petty crap between parents.

Like driving the bus for example?

Either way, they managed, albeit with the pram sticking out at an angle. If the couple hadn't been so snidey, I'm sure the OP wouldn't have given it another thought.

Not sure where the fried chicken comes in?! Buses are smelly places for many reasons, so I would have let that one go grin

hefzi Tue 05-Jan-16 14:37:06

YANBU - those warrior pushchairs are a menace to society at the best of times, never mind on a bus: trouble is, though, I suspect the driver is used to being able to fit two prams in the space, and didn't clock they had the Hummer of child transportation. My favourites are the parents whose two children take themselves off to sit elsewhere on the bus (nothing wrong with that) because the pushchair is packed with shopping in both seats and on the handles - and then roll their eyes at the mother who gets on with another pushchair that has an ACTUAL CHILD in it hmm

StillRainingInMay Tue 05-Jan-16 14:37:26

You did what you could to move out of their way, and you were on first - there was no need for them to complain, and you are within your right to feel frustrated and attacked.

However I do feel a little bit sorry for them, if they've got three under fives. And (as you say) they're young parents. That can't be easy at the best of times, and getting a buggy on the bus (of any size) can be traumatic.

I've had to take a newborn and a two year old in a Phil and Ted's double buggy on the bus. I don't drive (failed three tests and gave up - we live in London anyway) so not much point in getting a car. People can be pretty hostile, because these buggies are very big, but there aren't many options when you've got two kids who need to be in a buggy. And it's difficult to take them out, especially if one or both are sleeping. If you wait for the next bus, the chances are that that will also have a buggy (or two) in. So you plow on.

This couple were probably feeling frustrated themselves, and maybe they shouldn't have taken out their frustration on you, but we're all human and it sounds like they've got a lot on their plates.

Just another perspective flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now