Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to just look the other way?

(22 Posts)
theplatenexttome Tue 05-Jan-16 11:54:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Birdsgottafly Tue 05-Jan-16 12:01:01

If a potential buyer speaks to neighbour, they might find out anyway and wonder what else you're covering up.

You may get a viewing whilst something is going on.

So I'd push for it to be stopped.

These situations usually escalate, which in a way it has, by the car being parked.

You can look up crime statistics and if your neighbors are reporting it, then it may show up anyway.

LurkingOne Tue 05-Jan-16 12:02:46

I may be wrong, but I think you are overthinking it.

From your post there are people who might be drug dealers who might be dealing drugs that turn up in your road some evenings.

I don't know much about these things, but it doesn't sound like a long term plan for these "dealers" if what you say is correct. Are you saying the parked car is storing the drugs, because it's not, it would have been cleaned out night one.

Unless you live in Scotland (I think there are stronger laws on disclosure when selling property) I don't see that this is an issue, even if they are doing it, it's not like the police won't move them on at some point, they haven't claimed sovereign status on a small patch of your street and will be there forever.

Don't see an issue here, just move on and market the property

Moving15 Tue 05-Jan-16 12:02:54

No I haven't experienced anything like this. However it is the responsibility of the buyers to check out the street and wider neighbourhood. It is your responsibility to decalre your problems with neighbours not neighbourhood crime. What annoys one person will not bother another!
I think you should keep reporting them to the police. They will get fed up and go elsewhere.

Arfarfanarf Tue 05-Jan-16 12:03:42

why do you think your road is so attractive? Is it quiet and out of the way?

Is there anything you and the neighbours could do together to make it less attractive?

Just trying to think outside the box really. If reporting it to the police isn't helping, then perhaps there is something else that can be done? Neighbourhood watch signs? CCTV camera? motion activated lights? If they feel it isn't a quiet, unmonitored area, perhaps they will go elsewhere?

I'm not stupid. I know such activities can't be stopped so making them want to move elsewhere really is the best option for you.

theplatenexttome Tue 05-Jan-16 12:12:35

SleepIsForNinnies Tue 05-Jan-16 12:14:53

YANBU. I think you need to stop reporting it yourself and just put the house on the market. You have no control over what the neighbours do or say, so don't worry about them. Your house will be the right one for somebody else but you clearly need to find another one! And buyers will need to do their own research - I really wouldn't expect the seller to tell me about something like this. It's all alleged drug dealing anyway, nothing concrete, and not connected directly to your property. I once moved into a house that had actually been used as a cannabis farm previously - the neighbours had wild tales to tell. The house was lovely, we stayed for years. On the positive side you can definitely talk about the great neighbourly atmosphere on the street! Good luck selling!

LurkingOne Tue 05-Jan-16 12:18:08

It will only be periodically kept there. No way they leave their stash unattended, someone would find out and go and help themselves.

Chances are they move on soon enough though, it's definitely not going to prove a long term issue for the buyer by the sound of it, so you should be fine, good luck with the sale

daisychain01 Tue 05-Jan-16 12:32:59

I think from a legal and conveyancing perspective, you need to only consider your obligation, which is to be specific on your seller statement whether you have had formal disputes with your neighbours I. E. Ones that have needed to go to agencies like Environmental dept at the local council. That's why the normal recommendation about disputes is to resolve amicably not formally. so it doesn't affect selling the property.

The things you have mentioned in your OP aren't from what I read (a) formalised disputes about disturbances eg noise levels, or related to your boundaries and (b) ongoing or past (and now resolved)formal disputes that you have been forced to escalate to official bodies because your life has been made unbearable.

I agree, the stuff you describe is just run of the mill, i expect its more common thanpeople are aware of in most areas! Id desist from making anything formal that equates to a specific dispute with a specific person/s. Ensure you don't lie on any forms by covering up any formal actions that you haven't mentioned here. That is illegal and could cause you big problems.

theplatenexttome Tue 05-Jan-16 12:46:36

Celticlassie Tue 05-Jan-16 12:58:00

I wouldn't worry. Our sellers were slightly economical with the truth about the neighbours (who aren't too bad anyway) but I don't mind particularly - it's what I'd do. It's up to them to sell their house. If a buyer did get back to you, you could always say you hadn't noticed anything.

figureofspeech Tue 05-Jan-16 13:15:06

We had a similar incident a few years back and my dh rang the dvla & reported the abandoned vehicle as stolen. Within a few days the real owner came and drove it away. I think he dumped it because he couldn't be bothered paying scrappage fees. Could you do something similar, call the dvla with the car reg and let them do the querying?

daisychain01 Wed 06-Jan-16 05:14:07

Re the diaries, did you formally submit them to the police? If so, I would suggest that you ask your conveyancing solicitor about whether they need to be declared on your sellers documentation.

I'd be careful to get the legal situation clarified. Your solicitor should be representing your best interests, enuring you don't declare what isn't necessary to, but at the same time uphold your obligation as a seller.

wickedlazy Wed 06-Jan-16 05:21:32

Potential buyer could smoke weed, and be thrilled to only have to go up the road for gear grin

Seriously though, as they aren't noisy or disruptive, I wouldn't mention it. It may take new owners a while to even notice anything dodgy.

theplatenexttome Wed 06-Jan-16 11:40:27

isthatpoisontoo Wed 06-Jan-16 12:07:13

Honestly, I think you're majorly overthinking this.

I live on a street where drugs are sold. Not long after I moved in, the house across the road was rented by a group of 18 year olds who dealt weed, hung around and smoked it outside. We reported when the behavior actually bothered us (late at night, loud). Do I get a bit concerned now and again when I see people who seem to be on something more than weed? Yes. But these things ebb and flow, and they can turn up anywhere. In truth, the boys got girlfriends and settled down! It didn't stop me buying the house when I had the opportunity.

The security light is a good idea. I'd report behavior that upsets/intimidates me (the laser pointers), just because it takes a while to sell a house and you have to be as happy as you can be there. Unless they're actually intimidating people though, you will probably find that local weed drug dealing bothers people less than you think.

Also, I think your local police are awfully good. Ours took half an hour to turn up at my last place when people were trying to break into the shop downstairs!

wickedlazy Wed 06-Jan-16 12:08:44

Laser pointers can be dangerous as well as bloody annoying, if one hits your retina. Have you tried leaving a note on the car? "The police are watching you, you stupid twats, everyone knows what you're doing. If you stop now, and clear off, you might not be in just as much shit as you will be if you carry on". If police have car registration, they'll still find them. But might make them a bit paranoid and they might bugger off. They're probably too cocky to think the police are on to them.

isthatpoisontoo Wed 06-Jan-16 12:11:50

Also, consider how much more you notice, because you're looking for it. It was only after an 'incident' that I registered that someone on the street gets deliveries that look like takeaway food but would be stone cold, given that the delivery person (hood up) spends ages in the car checking his phone before dashing to the door, which furtively opens a crack, before the 'food' is whipped inside. You could live here for years and never guess what was going on, though.

littledrummergirl Wed 06-Jan-16 12:58:23

We had a problem with anti-social behaviour/ teens being abusive in the street.
At a pre arranged time when they are more likely to be there get all the neighbours into the street for a cuppa and a matter. Make sure you all make pointed stares at them.
The people in our street didn't like this much and moved on after a few times.
Remember you are all witnesses to each other and may or may not hear any allegations from the trouble makers regarding what may or may not be said.
No violence or threats from the residents just a massive presence to make themselves felt.

notquitehuman Wed 06-Jan-16 18:52:23

We had drug dealers on our street for a while. They were dealing from a privately rented house which was raided, but only paraphernalia found at the time rather than drugs. There were also cars coming and going a lot, and people getting out of one car and into another. It didn't really disturb anyone, because they're obviously trying to keep a low profile. A neighbourhood watch was set up, and some neighbours added big bright security lights which seemed to deter them. Eventually they moved on.

I'd chat to any neighbours that you're friendly with to see if they've been complaining. To be honest, unless someone asked outright whether there was any 'trouble' in the area I wouldn't bother to disclose. Every street has its own issues, our current place has drunk people walking home which is far more noisy and annoying! And if someone is buying your home its up to them to check out crime stats etc.

theplatenexttome Wed 06-Jan-16 20:45:39

Iliketoparrty Wed 06-Jan-16 20:55:23

If you have reported the car to the police ask them to put a "police notified' sticker on it. They do this to cars left after accidents. The police did this to an abandoned car being used as a stash the local drug dealers.

My next door neighbour used to deal drugs from his mother's house usually at night when she worked to pay the mortgage. During the summer several of us neighbours took to sitting outside our front doors and loudly saying hello to his customers. They soon stopped coming by.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now